PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 1.6 or 1.8?



Rasta
22nd January 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm getting a couple of these babies but being new to the Intel world of Mac's I don't know what to expect.

Is there going to be much difference between the 1.6 and 1.8?

I'm moving from an iBook G4 1.42GHz, so the step in numbers to the 1.6 doesn't seem that great, even though I'm sure the intel factor makes a big difference....

I'd hardly be using it for much more than email, web stuff and powerpoint presentations (and maybe the odd bit of photo organising when out and about).

What would people recommend? Is it worth the extra $387.20 for the 1.8 processor?

Muchas Gracias :thumbup:

denwol
22nd January 2008, 06:01 PM
Go the 1.6
You'll find that the speed difference is huge and you will not be disappointed with the switch to intel

spuds_imac
22nd January 2008, 06:05 PM
I have ordered the 1.8 processor I think even this will have problems with some apps, if you can afford it get it. ;)

Rasta
22nd January 2008, 06:10 PM
I have ordered the 1.8 processor I think even this will have problems with some apps, if you can afford it get it. ;)

Yeah but what apps? I mean, Office, mail, safari and iphoto will all run.

I'm not doing much else. I can afford to get what I want in it, but still don't want to chuck money away for the hell of it...

I'm inclined to go the 1.8 just coz I'm a bigger is better person, but seeing as I'm coming off a low base I don't mind as long as what ever I get is faster! :)

dev_enter
22nd January 2008, 06:10 PM
I would go the 1.6GHz. The extra $387.20 puts you in MBP territory.

AnthoMac
22nd January 2008, 06:12 PM
+1 to the 1.8ghz.
It's not like you can upgrade the processor so might as well have it being fastest thin computer in the world. And the intel chip is a huge factor not to mention it's dual core.

Huy
22nd January 2008, 06:15 PM
Personally I would just get 1.6.

I have ordered a 1.6 stock model but it isn't for me :)

spuds_imac
22nd January 2008, 06:25 PM
If your happy with the 1.6 that's fine but I would hate to spend $2499.00 and not be happy with the speed for the sake of another $400.00 ;)

jamesatfish
22nd January 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm buying the 1.8, mainly because I want the SSD drive and at that price the extra $430 isn't such a big jump.

I'm moving from an original 2.0Ghz Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) MBP which means the 1.8 Core 2 Duo will probably run at about the same real-world speed.

I don't do a lot of processor intensive work on my laptop so I'm not too worried about the MBA being too slow right now but buying the 1.8 means I might get another 6 months of life out of it when 10.6 arrives and needs even more processing power than 10.5.

aswitcher
22nd January 2008, 06:27 PM
1,6. SSD will give you the performance

decryption
22nd January 2008, 06:28 PM
I only got the 1.6Ghz as $400 for 200Mhz is a waste of money really, even in a year, it's still only 200Mhz difference ;)

Aa
22nd January 2008, 06:45 PM
If you are buying the Air then you aren't going for power. It will be zippy for all of the basic computing and lifestyle apps with the 2gb of memory.

Aladdin
22nd January 2008, 09:19 PM
As an aside, anyone going for the 64GB SSD option?

Seems pricey, but I am concerned about the lack of speed of a 4200rpm drive.

How much faster is SSD? Would it be equivalent to a 7200rpm drive?

aswitcher
22nd January 2008, 09:41 PM
As an aside, anyone going for the 64GB SSD option?

Seems pricey, but I am concerned about the lack of speed of a 4200rpm drive.

How much faster is SSD? Would it be equivalent to a 7200rpm drive?

I wont get the MBA now because of the cost. When I do look at getting the next rev or even the one after that next year, I will only buy it with SSD because without that performance is going to be very average.

SSD should be much faster than even a 7200rpm, faster than a 10,000rpm from what I understand.

decryption
22nd January 2008, 09:43 PM
Has anyone got any SSD benchmarks? I don't think flash memory is that fast or robust... 4200rpm laptop drives were the mainstay not too long ago, hah

coljac
22nd January 2008, 09:47 PM
I ordered 1.6. For the basic productivity apps I am using, I'm sure the difference wouldn't be noticeable, and the machine is already pricey.

Hell, even at 1.6 it'll play movies and run iPhoto more than fine. If I need power, I've got the Mac Pro.

[MREVO8]
22nd January 2008, 09:47 PM
Has anyone got any SSD benchmarks? I don't think flash memory is that fast or robust... 4200rpm laptop drives were the mainstay not too long ago, hah

No benchmarks for the Apple ones... but check out these puppies from Mtron: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/

Seriously considering a 32GB one to run OS X from in my Mac Pro.

Rasta
22nd January 2008, 09:59 PM
If I had to use Windows on it, would it run like a dog?

Which do people think would be better? VMWare Fusion or Parallels? (apparently there will be a problem installing Windows on Bootcamp with remote disc)...

dev_enter
22nd January 2008, 10:00 PM
Windows XP would still fly on it.

I use VMware Fusion and it's great, haven't tried Parallels. I went with VMware because it's a trusted name in virtualization.

aswitcher
22nd January 2008, 10:08 PM
;432192']No benchmarks for the Apple ones... but check out these puppies from Mtron: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/

Seriously considering a 32GB one to run OS X from in my Mac Pro.

SSD stuff I have read shows 30%-45% faster performance, with less heat and no noise. No vibration issues either.

decryption
22nd January 2008, 10:18 PM
If I had to use Windows on it, would it run like a dog?

Which do people think would be better? VMWare Fusion or Parallels? (apparently there will be a problem installing Windows on Bootcamp with remote disc)...

VMWare, certainly. Parallels is bit, chintzy to me. VMWare is the prize fighter in the VM space.

anarchron
22nd January 2008, 10:29 PM
I'll be going for the 1.8Ghz, though I'm waiting till I can get my hands on a demo unit before plunking down the cash.

aswitcher
22nd January 2008, 10:31 PM
I'll be going for the 1.8Ghz, though I'm waiting till I can get my hands on a demo unit before plunking down the cash.

Good idea to get your hands on it. I think its going to be lovely and sleek, but the new MBPs will have all the features and be more powerful, and the entry price might be on par with the MBA.

Rasta
22nd January 2008, 10:38 PM
I think I'll end up settling for a 1.8 with VMWare Fusion running XP (I have one freaking app that there is no mac equivalent... arrrggghhh!!!)

Are people getting APP with theirs? Surely it's worth it.. new product and all.. gotta be some teething problems that APP would be ideally exploited with...

Huy
22nd January 2008, 10:44 PM
From memory the SSD has these positives over the conventional HDD (the 64GB Samsung SSD Engadget used in a MBP).

Seek times < 1ms
Under 30 second cold boot times
Approx 10-15% more battery life
Completely quiet

I don't think it's worth the +$1000 or however premium though, not for a few more years. :)

dotnet
23rd January 2008, 01:05 AM
My bet is that 1.6 vs 1.8 won't matter much. What matters is the slow-as-molasses iPod HDD. This will put the AirBook well behind the MacBook. I wouldn't worry about the CPU, and rather get some accessories (bag, SuperDrive) for the price difference.

Cheers
Steffen.

morn
23rd January 2008, 05:39 PM
1.6ghz core 2 duo should massively faster than a 1.42ghz G4. It's a more efficient CPU so it will outperform that G4 by a decent margin alone, and there's two of them!

Rasta
23rd January 2008, 06:42 PM
I've gone the 1.8 as I'm salary packaging it and in real dollars it's not that much different.

Also, as said before... I may as well have the fastest thinnest notebook :)

macsyd
23rd January 2008, 07:06 PM
I've gone the 1.8 as I'm salary packaging it and in real dollars it's not that much different.

Also, as said before... I may as well have the fastest thinnest notebook :)

You've come over to the dark side Rasta?! No longer too much for too little? Good to see :)

Rasta
23rd January 2008, 07:25 PM
You've come over to the dark side Rasta?! No longer too much for too little? Good to see :)

Well that is still in the back of my mind... but given the packaging year ends in a month or so.. if I'm not happy with it.. then I'll get something else in a month or two... best of both worlds..

OziMac
23rd January 2008, 07:57 PM
The MBA seems to be absent from the new back to school EDU promo - which is a shame because that would have been a great way to offset the 1.6 to 1.8GHz CTO, or APP. :(

Rasta
23rd January 2008, 08:27 PM
The MBA seems to be absent from the new back to school EDU promo - which is a shame because that would have been a great way to offset the 1.6 to 1.8GHz CTO, or APP. :(

Tell me about it. But alas... such is life.. I'm used to paying a premium for Apple gear anyway... :p

anarchron
24th January 2008, 02:52 PM
I couldn't resist it. I pre-ordered my 1.8 today. Does anyone know about double invoicing?