PDA

View Full Version : Parallels, Leopard Server file sharing.

morgs
21st January 2008, 04:22 PM
Hello,

In the office we are running windows for Quickbooks. It is the last windows app and for what ever reason, we have to persevere. We have been trying to use bootcamp to connect to a share point to save the quickbooks file to, but it is proving to be very painful, so I came up with this idea, and as I can't get anywhere on the Parallels site I thought I might ask here to see if anyone thinks my idea will work.

Basically:

- Run windows in Parallels 3.0
- Let Leopard handle the share point authentication with Leopard server.
- Somehow let parallels (windows) then just access the file now that Leopard has handled the authentication.

Could it work?

Thanks
Morgs

iPirate
21st January 2008, 04:40 PM
I think it could work. You'd just have to let the Windows VM access all the Mac side of things in a shared folder. I think that's how it'd work. Then you might have to go through /Volumes in the Mac filesystem hierarchy to get to where you want (the sharepoint drive). Might want to save a shortcut to avoid tricky navigation later on.

Wally
21st January 2008, 05:04 PM
Why not purchase Quickbooks for Mac??

I'd reckon you'd be better off with VMware Fusion, as its more robust and less clunky than Parallels overall.

morgs
21st January 2008, 09:05 PM
Why not purchase Quickbooks for Mac??

I'd reckon you'd be better off with VMware Fusion, as its more robust and less clunky than Parallels overall.

Isn't there a problem with Aus Dollar support in the Mac version?

Currawong
21st January 2008, 09:09 PM
Yup, there is (last I looked) no Aussie version of Quickbooks for Macs. The best Mac accounting program I know of is Moneyworks, which is made in New Zealand by Cognito.

morgs
21st January 2008, 10:15 PM
Yup, there is (last I looked) no Aussie version of Quickbooks for Macs. The best Mac accounting program I know of is Moneyworks, which is made in New Zealand by Cognito.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look but MoneyWorks is not able to import Quickbooks files.

morgs
21st January 2008, 10:17 PM
Btw.

Can anyone confirm my theory proposed above??

Also I did have a look at VMware fusion, but I could not find the same claims about file sharing that Parallels make. I wish I could get the support pages on Parallels website to work.

morgs
21st January 2008, 11:05 PM
Finally was able to send an email to Parallels. I will let you know what they get back to me with.