PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX and SD

t0fler
21st January 2008, 01:43 PM
I have using an SD card to store files using a USB adaptor and OSX has facilitated this with ease. However it seems to be unable to delete files from the card, if i drag a file to the recycle bin it is no longer accessible but free space is not created on the card, the only way to free up space is to format the card and start again.

Surely there is a better way to do this? I have no such issues working in XP

cheers

steve

Huy
21st January 2008, 01:51 PM
Empty Trash?

iSilver
21st January 2008, 02:36 PM
reformat

Huy
21st January 2008, 02:39 PM
Reformat the SD?

Surely you wouldn't reformat Mac OS X just for that... which doesn't guarantee that it'll fix the problem.

Sounds to me like the files are being marked as "deleted" but still there in the Trash, until you empty it. Then you'll reclaim your space. It happens to me on my USB drive and SD cards, iPods, too.

bennyling
21st January 2008, 03:06 PM
Sounds to me like the files are being marked as "deleted" but still there in the Trash, until you empty it. Then you'll reclaim your space. It happens to me on my USB drive and SD cards, iPods, too.

Yeah.

This happens on many *nix boxes as well.

Of course, OSX, being *nix based, does this.

stewiesno1
21st January 2008, 03:43 PM
Just make sure you have the SD card and adapter plugged into your computer ; drag the files to the trash from the card and then empty the trash while it is still plugged in.
Pretty much the same method as zip discs etc.

Stewie

t0fler
21st January 2008, 05:09 PM
Just make sure you have the SD card and adapter plugged into your computer ; drag the files to the trash from the card and then empty the trash while it is still plugged in.
Pretty much the same method as zip discs etc.

Stewie

worked perfectly, i never would have thought of emptying the trash, thanks heaps guys

BLINDER
21st January 2008, 05:15 PM
However - one point to think about.
I read many reports (as a photographer) about deleting and/ or formatting cards on a computer.
The general consensus is DON'T. Apparently it leads to high card failure rates or corrupted information.
If the SD card comes from, for instance, a camera - format only in the camera (and try to never hit the delete button at all). Doing it this way basically helps keep the card in tip-top condition.

benbs618
7th July 2009, 05:51 PM
you have to emty the trash in the dock to free up the space!:wink: