PDA

View Full Version : Home Budget/expense planner

flyboyoz
21st January 2008, 11:19 AM
Hi guys
sorry if covered before, did a search but couldn't really find what I was after.
Just wondering if anyone knew of a simple home budget/expense planner for mac.
All the ones I seem to find are very business orientated. Just after a simple home one to monitor all the monthly expenditure (namely the wife).
thanks in advance
F

marc
21st January 2008, 11:33 AM
iWork's Numbers? Or do you want something more specific?

The Architect.mac
21st January 2008, 11:35 AM
cha-ching from midnightapps.com

cheers

flyboyoz
21st January 2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys, been doing a bit of reading about the two you have mentioned and I must say cha ching looks nice but seems to have a lot of negative feedback.. Any ideas/comments?

henryjones
21st January 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi flyboyoz,

While I haven't used Cha-Ching enough to give you a proper review, I think it is a user-friendly and handy way to manage home budgets. I wouldn't use it in a business context but I think it works well as a basic (and pretty!) budget manager. It's very intuitive. I think much of the negative feedback is the result of people expecting more from the program. It was not designed to be a Quicken or MYOB killer but for what it aims to do, it does it well.

It might also be worth pointing out that you can buy Cha-Ching and a huge bundle of other apps at MacHeist at the moment. The total cost of the bundle is only US$49, only US$9 more than buying Cha-Ching by itself. If you're looking for some apps to play with, it's probably worth spending the extra few dollars on Cha-Ching. You can check out MacHeist here:

http://www.macheist.com

Best of luck with your purchasing decisions. I suspect Cha-Ching is probably powerful enough for your needs but it all depends on how much accounting power you want. :)

- Henry

flyboyoz
24th January 2008, 03:19 PM
I will admit I am a bit of a novice with this stuff... So I must say I like easy to read columns that are colored and most importantly can self add-up etc
I got told about Liquid Ledger has anyone heard any feedback on that one?
Also in regards to quicken is it also easy for beginners?

sebasporto
24th January 2008, 03:41 PM
I tried Cha Ching although it looks pretty I cannot really recommend it. It seems very oriented to casual users who just want to play with the idea of managing their money. Not really a serious finance management software in my opinion.

For me Cha Ching has some weird lacks:
- It doesn't has categories. It works with tags instead. But I just don't tags useful at all for an application like this.
- When you transfer money from one account to the other Cha Ching doesn't create a link between the two accounts. If you delete the transaction in one account it will still be there in the other.
- Reports are non existence. In my opinion the one most important feature of a good finance software. What is the point of tracking otherwise?

I recommend
www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

gehenna
24th January 2008, 03:56 PM
i managed to get cha-ching as part of the macheist bundle at the beginning of the month - it's awesome! 14 superb applications for $49US... not sure if its still going but here was the link http://www.macheist.com/

flyboyoz
10th February 2008, 11:34 AM
Ok been looking at a few mentioned here and to say the least it is overwhelming.
Cha ching hasnt been getting good reviews at all. Neither has Liquid ledger but all the negative reviews for this one are from OS. Can anyone here comment on Liquid ledger as it looks the most user friendly for a dud like me. also just saw the Numbers thing from Iwork. Any comments on the budget planner from that? TOOOO many to choose? Arrrrr LOL :eek:

cosmichobo
10th February 2008, 12:27 PM
I guess it comes from 4 years as a credit controller managing a large portfolio of debts, but I just have my budget in Excel... no pretty colours, but nice columns and auto carry/add functions once you build it to suit your needs.

zeddie2001
10th February 2008, 12:29 PM
Definitely recommend Numbers - nowhere near the power of Excel, but still the power to craft it to your needs, while still being user friendly and pretty. The inbuilt budget template is a perfect starting point to get yourself going!

fiark
10th February 2008, 12:33 PM
Budget - Snowmint Software. Works on the envelope method.

http://www.snowmintcs.com/