PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Office 2008?

Rasta
20th January 2008, 09:32 PM
Hey ya all,

Anyone using Office 2008? I've read some mixed reviews on the web and was thinking of getting it.. just not sure it it's such a good idea. I've got Office 2004 and it does what I want, just thought of upgrading when I get a new notebook and a few other doobie whakers.. :)

xfodder
20th January 2008, 09:37 PM
for me the only reason someone would buy office 2008 is if you need to be able to open the new office file types (.docx etc.)

if 2004 does the job for you, i dont really see anything that 2008 would give you ... im not sure if there is a demo available yet but hopefully soon there is so you can give it test run.

decryption
20th January 2008, 09:38 PM
I have it - essential upgrade if you;re on an Intel Mac. It runs so much smoother than it's PPC counterpart.

Rasta
20th January 2008, 09:41 PM
I have it - essential upgrade if you;re on an Intel Mac. It runs so much smoother than it's PPC counterpart.

Well I'm going from PPC to Intel (I'm relenting and after throwing a bit of mud, I've been encouraged by the 'wise other half' to get two MBA's).. so Office 2008 it is :)

macsyd
20th January 2008, 09:47 PM
Maybe a silly question, but how do you have it already? Is there a download purchase option somewhere? I couldn't find it.

prince
20th January 2008, 10:13 PM
i have it cause the PPC version is sooo slow on my MBP

i have the stu version though

mab
20th January 2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe a silly question, but how do you have it already? Is there a download purchase option somewhere? I couldn't find it.

You must be able to get it somewhere as it's all over the channel BT sites

Jaali
20th January 2008, 11:08 PM
is there a reason to choose Office 08 over iWork?

Jaffa
20th January 2008, 11:22 PM
I got it too, and I agree fully with Mr Manager :) (P.S. Mr Manager, could I get a cool name too? Village Idiot would be cool ;))

BTW Office 08 runs much better on PPC too (my brothers ibook and mums powerbook)

You do know that its already released and being sold... Dont you?

I prefer iWork, but I still need the full version of Office for compatibility with others.

mvjs
20th January 2008, 11:24 PM
You do know that its already released and being sold... Dont you?.

Office 2008 is not allowed and isn't sold in Australia till January 31st.

macsyd
20th January 2008, 11:25 PM
yes Jaffa, but not in Australia? I try to avoid BT for software

Huy
20th January 2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah it was the 15th for America but 31st for Australia.

aussiegunner
20th January 2008, 11:56 PM
whats it like for compatibility with Office 2004, saving and keeping the same 04 compatible file formats etc?

decryption
21st January 2008, 04:10 AM
yes Jaffa, but not in Australia? I try to avoid BT for software

Beta testing program via work.

Jaffa
21st January 2008, 10:12 AM
You see guys, that is where american friends come in handy :)

rpjallan
21st January 2008, 10:24 AM
You see guys, that is where american friends come in handy :)

Well the American friends I have spoken to reckon that they haven't even fixed most of the bugs from the last version. So if that is the main reason you want it, then don't bother...

Kuma
21st January 2008, 10:43 AM
Its on the shelves here in Japan.. but Im not touching it.

Jaffa
21st January 2008, 10:44 AM
Well the American friends I have spoken to reckon that they haven't even fixed most of the bugs from the last version. So if that is the main reason you want it, then don't bother...

The reasons I need it are:

Faster on Intel machines
Compatability with Office 2007 for Windows

I also like to have the newer stuffs before the rest of us aussies, ie: my iPhone ;)

mikinoz
21st January 2008, 08:06 PM
it works and i am so committed i let it uninstall 2004 version.

if it goes bad, iwork i will go!

themessup
21st January 2008, 08:48 PM
for me the only reason someone would buy office 2008 is if you need to be able to open the new office file types (.docx etc.)

if 2004 does the job for you, i dont really see anything that 2008 would give you ... im not sure if there is a demo available yet but hopefully soon there is so you can give it test run.

08 has lots of new great feature like in built picture editing, lots of text and word art effects like glow, drop shadow, relfection ect. Its not just a new extension.:)

andrew.wilson
21st January 2008, 10:59 PM
Your ****ing kidding right? :confused:

Leopard Spaces incompatibility Office 2008 is incompatible with Spaces in Leopard. Files formatted with .docx (the new standard format for Word documents) cannot be dragged into new spaces, instead snapping back to the original space.

MacFixIt reader Jordan notes some other spaces issues:

"I have been running Word 08 for 2 days now and have determined that it simply will not work with Spaces enabled. If you swap spaces often the document will reappear in the wrong space or worse, not appear at all (this happens most frequently in notebook view). To make matters worse in notebook view occasionally the tabs from another open notebook will simply appear overlaid on top of the front most document which is at worst distracting and certainly annoying. Finally if you try and use expose to hunt down the open windows it does not seem to work either (with spaces enabled). All of this behavior thankfully does go away with spaces disabled, but that certainly should not be a permanent fix."

That seals the deal for me - I am going to give it a try (because I am trying to write a comparison article) but if this is true I doubt I will be keeping it. Office 07 via VMware unity behaves much better than that :)

xfodder
21st January 2008, 11:17 PM
one of your american friends wouldn't be named xtorrent would they? :P

Jaffa
21st January 2008, 11:58 PM
one of your american friends wouldn't be named xtorrent would they? :P

nope, I think he lives on a pirate ship tho :P LOL

seriously tho, its a fully legal copy on each machine here

its a downloaded copy, but the serials are legally bought. they were sent over the net to me. the license certificates and a disc is coming in the post.

since the guy was buying 8 licenses (3 for me 5 for himself), and he knew the management, he got a pretty sweet deal for it and I got each copy nearly $100 less than stated.

TheMountainGoat
22nd January 2008, 02:48 AM
I find it is a lot quicker than 2004...

It is perhaps the only thing Micros**t that I will actually agree with using. It is a lot smoother than the PC versions, too...

Just wonder why there isn't something like Access in it... Anyone know anything available for the Mac that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, that is as simple as Access for the other half to use?

kyte
22nd January 2008, 05:18 AM
Try NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php). I switched and have been happy with it :)

gehenna
22nd January 2008, 06:48 AM
I've been using Office 2008 for a few days now. It's quite impressive. I haven't even opened Parallels since it's been installed - which has made me notice a great increase in processing power. I think I'll keep it on my machine and I may now be able to ditch Windows on Mac completely. I also use iWork 08 so it's nice to have both apps work completely natively, each offering different features that I like, and each running superbly on my hardware.

abure
9th May 2008, 01:09 PM
i had it before i wiped my machine last night, but i found it sooo slow to start up. i used to wait 5 minutes before i could do anything, where as my 04 was quick.

i dont actually use word at hoome a lot anymore, so doesnt really bother me.

nomad
9th May 2008, 02:06 PM
If all you need the new version of office is to open .docx files then microsoft have a Microsoft Office Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 0.2.1 (Beta) that is there until Dec. 2008

ba2991
10th May 2008, 01:47 PM

YES a real BIG reason as I just fund out last night after purchasing a copy of iwork08 from Myers - windows user's can't view you files

mattyi
10th May 2008, 02:00 PM
YES a real BIG reason as I just fund out last night after purchasing a copy of iwork08 from Myers - windows user's can't view you files

Pages can export to PDF, DOC, RTF and plain text. So windows users should be able to view documents you create in pages.

ba2991
10th May 2008, 02:08 PM
Pages can export to PDF, DOC, RTF and plain text. So windows users should be able to view documents you create in pages.

Thanks for the quick reply I was about to tune my iworks08 disk into a frizzby

Rjat
10th May 2008, 02:09 PM
I have Office 2008, but I am not a huge fan of it. I will have to give NeoOffice or similar a go.

chrsha01
10th May 2008, 02:12 PM
I have Office 2008 but I rather use iWork 08.

mattyi
10th May 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply I was about to tune my iworks08 disk into a frizzby

No problems mate. Just be aware that when exporting to .doc or opening .doc files you may have some issues with formatting.