PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of "downloaded from internet" message

bigmouth
20th January 2008, 12:48 PM
Not sure if this has already been covered, but there are certain programs I've downloaded from the internet which I use on a regular basis, but yet everytime I run one of them I get a message prior to it starting along the lines of:

"This program was downloaded from the internet, OK to run ?" - does anyone know how to prevent that from happening ?

Huy
20th January 2008, 12:51 PM
I think it is there all the time - as a safety mechanism to prevent people from downloading junk/bad things. So you have to OK it before you proceed. The same for some things that will launch a program for the first time.

Hamsmyth
20th January 2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah I believe its a new thing in leopard. A bit annoying but I guess its not that hard.

Dante Kyar
20th January 2008, 12:57 PM
at least it doesnt ask you every step of the way like vista does. Tried to install a program for vista for a friend and had to say its ok to install literally 5 times through the set-up for one program....

aspro
20th January 2008, 12:58 PM
It should only be happening the first time you run an application downloaded from the internet. Is this happening every single run, or only after installing updates?

Jaffa
20th January 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, it only happens here the first time you open a downloaded file. Doesn't happen after that...

GimliNZ
20th January 2008, 02:43 PM
Unless of course you are running it from a mounted disk image, instead of dragging the app into the Applications folder.

This could be the reason the message pops up every time.

leachy
20th January 2008, 05:17 PM
Its's not really that annoying, considering how many clicks it takes to install a program on windows. :D

lbeaumont
20th January 2008, 06:06 PM
Its's not really that annoying, considering how many clicks it takes to install a program on windows. :D

Hardly any at all?

I love how all the Windows haters/Mac fanboys always over-exaggerate Windows' flaws.

Dante Kyar
20th January 2008, 06:08 PM
Hardly any at all?

I love how all the Windows haters/Mac fanboys always over-exaggerate Windows' flaws.

my personal experience says otherwise, and that's being completely unbiased and simply counting how many clicks it does take. I'd say on average its more clicks with Vista than Leopard.

bigmouth
23rd January 2008, 08:22 AM
This is happening for a program that's now in the applications folder (Garage Sale) - taken from a DMG initially....

And coming from PC/Vista, I'm glad I've got a Mac - one of my workmates has a Vista laptop for his daughter and it freezes/locks up after a few hours of usage (and playing Sims, which amongst other programs - isn't totally compatible).

leachy
23rd January 2008, 10:47 AM
Hardly any at all?

Windows:

You have to select a directory, theirs options to configure (sometimes), confirmation.

Leopard:

Drag and drop.

gallet
23rd January 2008, 08:11 PM
As was said earlier you should only be asked the first time. However you may be asked again if prefs or caches are deleted or updates are installed.

azajohns
24th January 2008, 12:35 PM
I'm more bothered by a simliar warning you get when opening files that were email attachments. I don't install programs all that often, but being a Designer I get images and files emailed to me all day long. I'd love to be able to turn that warning off! :mad: