PDA

View Full Version : I'm New To Mac - Help Me Out

themessup
20th January 2008, 08:48 AM
Hello fellow Aussie Mac users/owners,

I am Thomas and I'm 13. I just joined the site today and I love it:D. I'm in year 8 now and I have been thinking. By the time I'm in year 10 I'm going to need my own omputer for study and school work. I also want one for fun! I am very creative on computers like making pictures in Photoshop and making websites aswell as videos.I know Macs can provide there! I have been a PC user all my life and I am now deciding to save up for a Mac. I hope to get one from now to the end of 2009. I just have some questions::confused:

What's DMG? Is is like an installer file format? Example: .exe on Windows
Also What is: PDA, MBP

I love Macs now and can't wait to get one. But can anyone tell me that advantages they have over Microsoft Windows, just so I know i'm making the right decision:confused:. Thanks,

Thomas

mvjs
20th January 2008, 08:53 AM
DMG: DMG is a disk image format which can contain an installer or application.
PDA: Personal Digital Assistant, a la Palm, PocketPC, etc.
MBP: MacBook Pro, Apple's pro-notebook.

themessup
20th January 2008, 08:54 AM
Oh thanks mate. I know about MacBooks but just not the abreviations. Thanks

belmere
30th January 2008, 06:48 PM
Tommy - get the Mac. You'll never look back and you can always get Windows programs like Word etc at student rate if you need to for school/uni (given that most use thee programs as standard on either Mac or PC).

I've just made the switch and I loooooove it.

ClockWork
30th January 2008, 07:03 PM
Plus, if you purchase something with a little more grunt, like the MacBook Pro: MBP - with 4GB RAM, using an application called: Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10/?gclid=CM3ZrOzMnZECFSosagodA29mPg), you can run both Windows XP (the upgrade to Vista :P) and Mac OS X @ the same time.

Have both Operating Systems in one without rebooting.

themessup
30th January 2008, 07:09 PM
I have decided to get a desktop. I'm going to get an iMac and i will have one by the end of the year. Another question: can I open up a .zip file on a Mac?

stewiesno1
30th January 2008, 07:10 PM
But can anyone tell me that advantages they have over Microsoft Windows, just so I know i'm making the right decisionhttp://forums.mactalk.com.au/images/smilies/confused.gif
Standard cliches
"It just works "
"True plug and play "
etc etc

Also no viruses ( virrii ? ) trojans etc for OSX.
That's not to say Macs and OSX don't have problems. They do as shown on these forums , but they just seem to have a lot less problems than Windows and PC's.

Another question: can I open up a .zip file on a Mac?
Yes , with Alumes "Stuffit Expander"

Stewie

Domenic
30th January 2008, 07:13 PM
You can open a .zip file on a mac without having to install any extra software. "It just works".

EDIT: Beaten. Darnit!!

themessup
30th January 2008, 07:13 PM
thanks mate. Is it freeware? if not, how much?

EDit: can you open it without software??

ClockWork
30th January 2008, 07:14 PM
I have decided to get a desktop. I'm going to get an iMac and i will have one by the end of the year. Another question: can I open up a .zip file on a Mac?

Yep - OS X can open numerous compression formats, yet OS X alone, running without Parallels and Windows XP, won't be able to open zipped .exe files. You'd still need Parallels and Windows XP / Vista to execute .exe files.

(There are several free Unarchiving applications - such as: The Unarchiver (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html), which will expand just about anything, including .zip).

dev_enter
30th January 2008, 07:15 PM
.zip is handled natively by the Operating System, so you won't need to buy/install anything extra.

themessup
30th January 2008, 07:19 PM
Yep - OS X can open numerous compression formats, yet OS X alone, running without Parallels and Windows XP, won't be able to open zipped .exe files. You'd still need Parallels and Windows XP / Vista to execute .exe files.

(There are several free Unarchiving applications - such as: The Unarchiver (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html), which will expand just about anything, including .zip).

cool, thanks everyone

krafty
30th January 2008, 07:25 PM
hey kiddo, get your folks to buy you one of these.
ebay has bargains (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-eMac-800mhz-machine_W0QQitemZ270205291033QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46 07QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

timothy
30th January 2008, 07:27 PM
i will totally crack up laughing when tommy94 decides to get a hp running vista from hardly normals...

"better specs" will be the thread title...

DavyG
30th January 2008, 07:36 PM
i will totally crack up laughing when tommy94 decides to get a hp running vista from hardly normals...

"better specs" will be the thread title...

I'm pretty sure he buy a Mac. He seems fairly certain to agree on a Mac and stick with it. Maybe he kick himself 6 months later when a HP has better specs with Vista preinstalled? 'Style without substance' will be the thread title...

themessup
30th January 2008, 07:42 PM
you won't see me getting a PC any time soon lol. I'm on a friggin PC now and Internet Explorer keeps shutting down for no reason, telling me that firewall has sent an error to the program with the title: WDGH: error22762. I'm like WTF then it closes and my PC goes heaps slow and I have to restart it!

ITS TIME FOR A MAC!

themessup
30th January 2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe he kick himself 6 months later when a HP has better specs with Vista preinstalled.

I won't know what version to pick! so many choices...(thinks) buisness, enterprise, unlitmate.....

Aaron
30th January 2008, 07:46 PM
you won't see me getting a PC any time soon lol. I'm on a friggin PC now and Internet Explorer keeps shutting down for no reason, telling me that firewall has sent an error to the program with the title: WDGH: error22762. I'm like WTF then it closes and my PC goes heaps slow and I have to restart it!

ITS TIME FOR A MAC!

Download Firefox, IE is a piece of crap. You're most likely running IE6 as well :p

timothy
30th January 2008, 07:48 PM
yes, i was being silly. been drinking.

i really hope he gets a mac.

DavyG
30th January 2008, 07:49 PM

ITS TIME FOR A MAC!

Umm... Not to rain on your parade or anything but, isn't it cheaper to fix and repair then replace and forget? Have you tried using Firefox?

silverdreamer
30th January 2008, 07:50 PM
Download Firefox, IE is a piece of crap. You're most likely running IE6 as well :p

What's wrong with Safari for windoze?

Domenic
30th January 2008, 07:51 PM
Maybe he kick himself 6 months later when a HP has better specs with Vista preinstalled?

No, he won't kick himself, because a HP doesn't run Mac OS X! :D

I won't know what version to pick! so many choices...(thinks) buisness, enterprise, unlitmate.....

Well then you will have the same problem with Mac!
You can get the Business version, for $129,
Enterprise version, for $129,
Ultimate version, for $129,
You won't know which one to pick!
Yes, I saw your earlier signature... Tommy94

Safari for Windows is great, and so unbelievably fast, too! (I use it sometimes on my dad's computer.) But then again, Firefox is BUILT for Windows.

silverdreamer
30th January 2008, 07:52 PM
Umm... Not to rain on your parade or anything but, isn't it cheaper to fix and repair then replace and forget? Have you tried using Firefox?

Come in Dude! Nobody "Really' fixes or repairs a PC do they? :p

Meh 626
30th January 2008, 07:54 PM
Come in Dude! Nobody "Really' fixes or repairs a PC do they? :p

I do!

Meh 626 :)

Aaron
30th January 2008, 07:55 PM
What's wrong with Safari for windoze?

Before I switched I downloaded Safari for windoze and it was a bit buggy IMO...
Prefer the real thing :)

DavyG
30th January 2008, 08:02 PM

It's easy picking which version of Vista, using it is the hard part.
Home Basic is the displaced version of XP that never was.
Home Premium seems to be the backbone for the copies of Vista sold.
Business is for business workers, with backup options and drive encryption, notice the name? Enterprise is for large businesses like offices with a volume license.
Ultimate is probably for bragging rights, with some image backup system, Remote desktop and support for drive encryption.
Remote desktop can be had on Home Premium by hacks. Starter and Enterprise aren't available at Officeworks or anywhere else like that (ie: Retail store).
So you only got 4 choices for the OS: Home Basic for those who don't want the frills Vista tacks on, Home Premium and it's academic variant for the home user, Business for the office worker and executive and Ultimate for the one who must have the bragging rights for having the 'very best version of Windows yet.'

krafty
30th January 2008, 08:43 PM
yes, i was being silly. been drinking.

i really hope he gets a mac.

keep on drinking, it suits you! ;)