PDA

View Full Version : MB White screen on Start Up Urgent help PLease

womble
19th January 2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Guys

Better half was using my MB this arvo editing a video thought it started to go a little slow so she decided to restart...only prob is now its even slower because it wont boot

sits at white screen on start up then after a bit pic of a folder withj a ? flashiing in the middle of the screen appears does this mean my hdd just died?

Please help, urgent stuff on there that needs to atleast be saved if possible

jason

P.S Ive tried turing it off and leaving it off for a bit but nothing cvhanged ive taken battery out and then reinserted ive taken batery out and booted just on power nothing changed

jason

Huy
19th January 2008, 08:36 PM
Is your HDD making any clicking or grinding noises?

HDD could be dead.

Look here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

womble
19th January 2008, 08:38 PM
nah no clicking noises

halledise
19th January 2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Guys

Better half was using my MB this arvo editing a video thought it started to go a little slow so she decided to restart...only prob is now its even slower because it wont boot

sits at white screen on start up then after a bit pic of a folder withj a ? flashiing in the middle of the screen appears does this mean my hdd just died?

Please help, urgent stuff on there that needs to atleast be saved if possible

jason

P.S Ive tried turing it off and leaving it off for a bit but nothing cvhanged ive taken battery out and then reinserted ive taken batery out and booted just on power nothing changed

jason

try whacking your install dvd in the slot and restarting holding down the 'c' key.

if that's a goer, then do a clean install (archive & install saving network settings)

(edit - another thought): try this first - restart holding down command + option + P + R until you hear 3 chimes, then let her go and see what you got. if that don't work go with first suggestion

womble
19th January 2008, 08:49 PM
try whacking your install dvd in the slot and restarting holding down the 'c' key.

if that's a goer, then do a clean install (archive & install saving network settings)

(edit - another thought): restart holding down command + option + P + R until you hear 3 chimes, then let her go and see what you got. if that don't work go with first suggestion

will this delete all m stuff on the hdd?

halledise
19th January 2008, 08:51 PM
will this delete all m stuff on the hdd?

No.

try the pram reset first.

Huy
19th January 2008, 08:52 PM
No it archives first then installs.

luke_in_tas
19th January 2008, 08:52 PM
Same thing happened to my father's MacBook recently. Unfortunately the cause was a dead hard drive. We ended up replacing the dive, and the machine works fine again.

Unfortunately for him though he didn't have any backups and lost heaps. We sent the drive of to a data recovery place, but they quoted $2,000 to do the recovery, which was too much for us.

womble
19th January 2008, 08:55 PM
is pram the edit one u wrote?

halledise
19th January 2008, 08:57 PM
is pram the edit one u wrote?

yessir

ps - ignore all the other prophets of doom

womble
19th January 2008, 09:11 PM
me thinks o noes tried it both ways and nothing changes

me thinks.....i need a hug

Jason

anyone else with other uggestions....ive covered the keyboard so no tears will get in there ;-)

halledise
19th January 2008, 09:15 PM
me thinks o noes tried it both ways and nothing changes

me thinks.....i need a hug

Jason

anyone else with other uggestions....ive covered the keyboard so no tears will get in there ;-)

what - you mean it will not startup from install dvd???

womble
19th January 2008, 09:32 PM
pm sent halledise

Linux_insidev2
19th January 2008, 09:57 PM
First order of business

Fire her and get a new partner

Then get the computer fixed :P

halledise
19th January 2008, 10:08 PM
PM sent to womble

bennyling
19th January 2008, 10:35 PM
sheesh.

Have you got another Mac?

...first port of call: BACKUP DATA!

1: Turn MB off.
2: Turn on, with "T" key held down.
3: plug FW cable into MB.
4: plug FW cable into other Mac.
5: MacBook should show up on other Mac's desktop.

BACKUP NOW!

Currawong
20th January 2008, 12:29 AM
A flashing question mark is the computer saying that it can't find a device to boot from. Resetting the PRAM will not make any difference to this.

bennyling's suggest is the best - the first priority is backing up, which you possibly haven't done which possibly means that you've lost all your data if the HD is dead.

halledise
20th January 2008, 07:49 AM
good morning

well there you go womble - a suggestion of T for target mode.

that'll work IF you have another Mac you can lay your hands on.

that's the best thing about this forum - someone will always come up with a solution that works

good luck!! :thumbup: