PDA

View Full Version : Mac the Ripper doesn't rip

mwot
19th January 2008, 01:49 PM
each DVD we buy for the kids we now rip and burn a copy and put the original away.

the last DVD we bought, however, won't rip in MtR - keeps coming up with bad VOBs only a few seconds into the rip. the disc plays fine, has no visible scratches or smudges and is otherwise in great nic.

any reason why MtR can't rip it? i'm running the latest version, 2.6.6.

jdub
19th January 2008, 02:09 PM
Some copy-protection is better than others.

Try another dvd-drive if you've got one handy.

BLINDER
19th January 2008, 02:12 PM
Have a read of this MTR article (http://www.ripdifferent.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=133) and see if that answers any ripping questions.

Arkhum_Eramak
19th January 2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I noticed that the Muppet Show Season 2 was encoded with bad sections, which not only meant I couldn't transfer to my iPod Touch, but I also cannot watch an entire episode in DVD Player in 10.5 without entirely crashing the DVD player interface. Whee. I hate copy protection. A lot.

JonoNZ
19th January 2008, 02:21 PM
If you "gift" the developer you will get access to MTR 3 -- currently at version 3 R14m -- you will not find many discs this version won't backup.

jdub
19th January 2008, 04:01 PM
MTR 3 does seem a little stronger.

MacFanBoy
19th January 2008, 04:09 PM
Try Fairmount, a little like anydvd for windows.
Stays in memory and will decrypt on the fly.

Can be used with toast, dvd2onex etc...

mwot
19th January 2008, 05:33 PM
Have a read of this MTR article (http://www.ripdifferent.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=133) and see if that answers any ripping questions.

thanks. but i probably only understood 15% of that poorly written article. from my point of view, all i want to know is: does it work? i don't care how it works! :P

i'll look into the Fairmount app and then MtR3.

NORMANDY
19th January 2008, 06:05 PM
each DVD we buy for the kids we now rip and burn a copy and put the original away.

the last DVD we bought, however, won't rip in MtR - keeps coming up with bad VOBs only a few seconds into the rip. the disc plays fine, has no visible scratches or smudges and is otherwise in great nic.

any reason why MtR can't rip it? i'm running the latest version, 2.6.6.

are they Disney?

BLINDER
19th January 2008, 06:26 PM
thanks. but i probably only understood 15% of that poorly written article. from my point of view, all i want to know is: does it work? i don't care how it works! :P

i'll look into the Fairmount app and then MtR3.

My apologies mwot.
To my mind it just seems to be saying that there are probably really bad, deliberately placed sectors on some DVD's.
MTR 3 seems to have the ability for you to choose to avoid them and get a clean rip.

Lilith
19th January 2008, 11:23 PM
In the spirit of MTR I strongly recommend you find yourself a decent download somewhere of V3. Ironic really.

richbowen
19th January 2008, 11:41 PM
Try Fairmount

Thanks for this - Fairmount has assisted with a pesky Disney DVD. Seems to have worked fine.

mwot
20th January 2008, 08:14 AM
are they Disney?

yep. Disney/Pixar - have never had a problem with theirs before, tho.

My apologies mwot.
To my mind it just seems to be saying that there are probably really bad, deliberately placed sectors on some DVD's.
MTR 3 seems to have the ability for you to choose to avoid them and get a clean rip.

no need to apologise. but your brief summary just now made it all very clear! :thumbup:

EDIT: i don't get Fairmount. i pop the DVD in, start up Fairmount and it pastes on some cottage cheese (or whatever it does) on the bagel. i shortly then have a disc image on my Desktop of the DVD, containing a video_ts file ... which i can seemingly do nothing with.

Toast stalls when i try and burn a copy from the video_ts image; DVD2oneX2 stalls when i try the same thing. i now just have a file image that is useless?

what am i not getting here? richbowen, what were the steps you took??

Mac Ram
20th January 2008, 09:24 AM
Never used fairmount - but does this thread (http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?t=2937) help?

richbowen
20th January 2008, 09:31 AM
mwot, assuming you've got VLC on your system, do as you did to mount the disc image.

Then drag the Video_TS folder from the image to a location on your hard-drive. This took almost 30 mins for a 7.49GB disc using a 2.16 MacBook with 2 GB ram. This is the equivalent of ripping with MTR.

You can then use that ripped Video_TS file in Toast, Popcorn, etc.

mwot
20th January 2008, 12:11 PM
mwot, assuming you've got VLC on your system, do as you did to mount the disc image.

Then drag the Video_TS folder from the image to a location on your hard-drive. This took almost 30 mins for a 7.49GB disc using a 2.16 MacBook with 2 GB ram. This is the equivalent of ripping with MTR.

You can then use that ripped Video_TS file in Toast, Popcorn, etc.

brilliant. all done and dusted and DVD successfully copied (and currently playing).

SilverJ
20th February 2008, 10:26 PM
Hey guys, perhaps someone can answer my problem on this thread.
I am ripping episodes from an original dvd of tv episodes for my iPhone.
They have all worked except for one chapter which takes ages and goes up to something silly like 5.7gb.. the other episodes all took less than 8 minutes. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this other episode from ripping forever creating a massive file? Thanks in advance..

Mac Ram
20th February 2008, 10:58 PM
They have all worked except for one chapter which takes ages and goes up to something silly like 5.7gb.. the other episodes all took less than 8 minutes. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this other episode from ripping forever creating a massive file? Thanks in advance..

So MTR is creating this 5.7gb file? Don't you normally rip the whole DVD at once rather than by chapter?

SilverJ
21st February 2008, 08:42 AM
So MTR is creating this 5.7gb file? Don't you normally rip the whole DVD at once rather than by chapter?

I am ripping only by title because they are tv episodes...
I haven't tried a full dvd because I thought it would be better to have each episode separately because I am only encoding them for use on a iPhone..

avolve
3rd March 2008, 01:49 PM
If you "gift" the developer you will get access to MTR 3 -- currently at version 3 R14m -- you will not find many discs this version won't backup.

I have the R14i, and i am still having trouble with MTR. I get a 'bad sectors' message on completion and can't open the 'back up'. :confused:

The DVD works fine when played through DVD Player/VLC—All i want to do is extract a couple minutes for inclusion in a keynote...

Handbrake gives me a 'No Valid Title Found' when scanning the DVD :confused:

avolve
4th March 2008, 10:00 AM
i moved from my intel to my PPC machine—it worked.

My apologies mwot.

i have not found this option :confused:

helloroto
4th March 2008, 10:38 AM
Handbrake anyone?

HandBrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/)

I love this application :)

sectioneight
4th March 2008, 10:54 AM

Does it have extra audio tracks such as commentary on that particular episode? - bit of a long shot but it came to mind :confused:

ED: hmm just realised the date of your original post - did you get it sorted out?