PDA

View Full Version : New StuntMANIA Demo - Would love feedback!

Seon
19th January 2008, 11:09 AM
Ok, so we have decided to release a new StuntMANIA demo.

- It's the "Clean Your Room" Level
- You get to drive BUZZ (Prob our most popular car)
- You get all gameplay modes including challenge games
- You get all bonuses, powerups and driving obstacles

The only game limitation (other than 1 level and 1 car) is that you cant save your scores.

http://games.sector3.com.au/stuntmania.aspx

We have been having a massive amount of game downloads... but our sales are down, which contradicts all our our normal sales trends. This change happened immediately after we released our new demo.

So I am hoping to get some feedback from MacTalk users about our new demo to try to help us understand our change of sales figures.

Thanks in advance.

icant
19th January 2008, 11:13 AM
I downloaded the demo last time, and really didn't like it. The game looked very basic and dull.

Seon
19th January 2008, 11:21 AM
I downloaded the demo last time, and really didn't like it. The game looked very basic and dull.

That's fair enough.. it's not for everyone.... but that doesnt explain our change of sales trends due to our new demo, so I am really looking for feedback about the new demo.

Thanks anyway.

bartron
19th January 2008, 11:48 AM
The game plays ok.

Not much to do on the level though...are any of the other levels larger?

I downloaded the first ever demo ages ago and it was pretty good.

Seon
19th January 2008, 11:52 AM
So you think the level isn't interesting enough? Have you been up to the tracks near the ceiling etc? I guess it is less stunty that Trixter Park that is usually in the demo, but its also more difficult in terms of driving and exploring.

bartron
19th January 2008, 01:58 PM
So you think the level isn't interesting enough? Have you been up to the tracks near the ceiling etc? I guess it is less stunty that Trixter Park that is usually in the demo, but its also more difficult in terms of driving and exploring.

I'm not saying the level isn't interesting....I've had several goes at getting to the tracks at the top. Probably that there isn't much to do if you fall to the floor (which happens often for me) and after several goes at getting back up I feel there should be something else at ground level to keep things interesting if one gets frustrated.

I know there should be a challenge element to a game but if it's more frustrating than not I'll turn it off. Trixter Park is good in that there is the hard-to-get-to stuff as well as plenty of ground level fun.

$0.02

dev_enter
19th January 2008, 02:03 PM
but its also more difficult in terms of driving and exploring.
I think this line sums it up.

If it's difficult for a demo (i.e. less experienced players will be playing it), then maybe that's turning people off. Has the difficulty gone up due to your own staff getting better at the game?

Seon
19th January 2008, 02:21 PM
No, the difficulty is based on the style of level. There are 10 levels.. some BIG some smaller, some more stunt oriented, some more exploration oriented and some more challenge oriented.

It's hard to find the right balance for the demo... but I think I am going to put teh demo back to Trixter Park, but with all game play as per the current demo.

dev_enter
19th January 2008, 02:35 PM
I can imagine, Seon. Perhaps changing the map back will get the results you're looking for. Good luck! :)

STK
19th January 2008, 03:18 PM
bad level for demo because it's a pain to get back to the top if you fall off. I hate it for that...

Yea i suggest changing the map back to..

Seon
19th January 2008, 04:03 PM
Yep.. I just uploaded StuntMANIAJnr 2.1.2 (Mac Only as I am at home) with the Trixter Park level... I also included some minor bug fixes and car performance optimizations that were going to go in 2.2 :-)

I will get a Pro 2.1.2 build up prob tomorrow that also includes the above mentioned fixes and optimizations.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Seems there is always a lesson to be learnt in all that we do !

bhprojects
22nd January 2008, 11:00 AM
Gave it a go. Very nice, awful lot of work must of gone into it.

Tried the bubble master level, I think it's too snitchy. The usual way these are done is you see the bubble right in front of you, and only the next bubble, then it's your job to find the next bubble. Having all the bubbles in the playfield at once is bad form. See Jak'n'Daxter for how they do it.

So you have all this nice physics, but there isn't a racing demo, and I think people would like some AI cars. I know that's not the point of the game but you know, people would probably want a nice race on their MacBook. There's a game that's physics heavy that would serve as a model and that's Gripshift. http://www.gripshiftgame.com/ It's full of challenges that revolve around physics too, has a little Mario Kart Clone built in. V Nice.

Good work!

sunrisesister
22nd January 2008, 11:05 AM
Listen, I'll run it past my in-house expert (6 year old son) and get back to you :)

sunrisesister
23rd January 2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, it's a hit - but there seem to be less chances of a Super Spinout in this version, and not nearly enough exploding things for his liking.. :)

Seon
24th January 2008, 12:35 PM
Haha.. well, exploding things we can add for sure. With the superspins... get him to hold down the shift key when mid-air and then he can use the arrow keys (as indicated) to make himself spin any way he likes! Super Super spinouts!

bartron
24th January 2008, 01:13 PM
The almost 4yo gives it the big thumbs up :thumbup:

(he got the shits with me when I said we had to turn it off and go to bed)

Ozherbie
6th May 2008, 05:57 AM
The new demo actually got me to purchase the game. I've had the previous demo (and the widget version) for a LONG time but never laid out the money for it.

I just went back and played the demo to try and figure out what made me purchase it. The different game play modes that I could try out and the power ups are what has made the demo fun enough for me to buy it this time around.

Seon
6th May 2008, 08:53 AM
Glad to hear our demo was enticing enough to get a sale across the line. Thanks!

We value every one of our customers.

There are still some game play modes and powerups that are not included in the latest demo and I have been thinking about including them, but it's always hard to find the right balance between demo features and full version.

We know of many people that just play our demo because they are not interested in saving their scores and they find that 1 level & 1 car enjoyable enough. I wish I knew how to convert these people over... if the demo is that enjoyable, I would have thought $20 for 9 more levels, 7 more cars and extra game play modes would be an easy decision.

People are strange ;)