PDA

View Full Version : Two fingers to the macbook

Tassiecelt
17th January 2008, 11:27 PM
I never knew that two fingers on the trackpad would scroll a page up and down.
I discovered it by accident, much easier than using the mouse!

I would like to see the advanced trackpad functions of the Macbook Air on my macbook though!

Razer
17th January 2008, 11:30 PM
you can also do a "right click" by putting two fingers on the trackpad then hitting the button :)

Phase
17th January 2008, 11:35 PM
Two finger scrolling actually sold a friend of mine onto the Mac

It's so, so helpful

MacTime
17th January 2008, 11:37 PM
you can also do a "right click" by putting two fingers on the trackpad then hitting the button :)

You can also right click by simply tapping the pad with 2 fingers.

Huy
17th January 2008, 11:42 PM
Got to love that multi-touch...

Razer
18th January 2008, 01:30 AM
let's just hope Apple gives us more multi-touch for free :)

halledise
18th January 2008, 05:05 AM
you can also leave thumb/finger stationery on track pad and up/down left/right with other finger

bubbles_r_us
18th January 2008, 11:37 AM
It took me a while to get used to it but now I find the two finger scroll really handy

Aaron
18th January 2008, 11:41 AM
:eek:
I didn't know you could do a 2 finger right click until you posted this :o

Thanks... 'Tis quite a cool feature

snark
18th January 2008, 11:58 AM
I dunno what you're all excited about....I've been doing the two finger salute for years! :p

timothy
18th January 2008, 12:42 PM
two finger scrolling is on my ibook G4, been around for years...

markh
18th January 2008, 12:53 PM
two finger scrolling is on my ibook G4, been around for years...

Yeah.. YAY for iscroll2!

adamd
18th January 2008, 01:04 PM
you can also leave thumb/finger stationery on track pad and up/down left/right with other finger

eh? What do you mean by this?

EDIT: Scratch that. I didn't read it properly. What you should've done was put "a" between "leave" and "thumb"...

Oh well... sorry about that.

halledise
18th January 2008, 01:24 PM
eh? What do you mean by this?

EDIT: Scratch that. I didn't read it properly. What you should've done was put "a" between "leave" and "thumb"...

Oh well... sorry about that.

that's ok -also I meant stationary not stationery, which may have lead to further confusion ;)

bartron
18th January 2008, 01:44 PM
I've been using two finger scrolling and clicking since I got a 12" Powerbook. Awesome tool.

I'm so used to it now that I get caught out when using the touchpad on the Dell work laptops (and they are so small too....and recessed.....bleh)

DJY
19th January 2008, 06:36 AM
You can also right click by simply tapping the pad with 2 fingers.

Whilst I use two fingers scrolling every time I use my MBP...
I've never gotten the two finger tap to work!?!?

Have the two fingers on the trackpad and then click for right click - but never been able to tap two fingers on the trackpad for the same effect.

icant
19th January 2008, 06:44 AM
I do think we should be able to scroll downwards by rotating clockwise with 2 fingers, and scroll upwards by rotating counter clockwise, like how an iPod click wheel works.

That would avoid the "break" in scrolling when we reach the edge of the trackpad.

Daviddc
19th January 2008, 07:19 AM
you can scroll sideways too if there's a scroll bar across the bottom because the site is too wide for the window

bubbles_r_us
19th January 2008, 07:55 AM
I've been using two finger scrolling and clicking since I got a 12" Powerbook. Awesome tool.

I'm so used to it now that I get caught out when using the touchpad on the Dell work laptops (and they are so small too....and recessed.....bleh)

Yes I do it when I use our family Toshiba laptop :p

AnthoMac
19th January 2008, 08:14 AM
With the recent announcement of the MacBook Air would it be possible for Apple to simply implement the multi touch finger gestures into existing Macs which already support the 'two finger salute' and such?

timothy
19th January 2008, 12:20 PM
i also use zooming. by holding function + ctrl (options in system prefs-trackpad), then two finger scrolling becomes zoom in/out.

Linux_insidev2
19th January 2008, 12:47 PM
With the recent announcement of the MacBook Air would it be possible for Apple to simply implement the multi touch finger gestures into existing Macs which already support the 'two finger salute' and such?

It's very possible.

I doubt there's anything behind it but the software, as even G4 iBooks can do two finger scrolling if their trackpad is the kind that's enumerated via the USB bus with a driver.

DJY
19th January 2008, 05:09 PM
i also use zooming. by holding function + ctrl (options in system prefs-trackpad), then two finger scrolling becomes zoom in/out.

Cool didn't know about this one!

iPirate
20th January 2008, 11:27 AM
What I don't get is how two-fingered scrolling is ever so much different to multi-touch and why we can't have that on our MacBook (Not Air) models?

...Or perhaps that's in 10.5.2?

slhogan
20th January 2008, 12:25 PM
I've got a iBook G4 (4 years old) and would love to be able to use the 2 finger scroll, I've assumed it's hardware related ie only for the newer Mac's - am I right to assume this or can it be added via software?

iPirate
20th January 2008, 12:31 PM
Check System Prefs -> Trackpad. I don't know how early this was introduced, I only know that it works in Tiger and above.

m_242
20th January 2008, 12:32 PM
Whilst I use two fingers scrolling every time I use my MBP...
I've never gotten the two finger tap to work!?!?

Have the two fingers on the trackpad and then click for right click - but never been able to tap two fingers on the trackpad for the same effect.

System preferences > keyboard & mouse > trackpad > tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click

aspro
20th January 2008, 01:02 PM
Two finger scrolling is just so much easier to use than the scrape along the edge of the trackpad used by a lot of PC laptops.

iPirate
20th January 2008, 02:07 PM
And it's hilarious when you say "What about scrolling sideways" and they say "Why would you need to scroll sideways?" and you send them a link to a fat website :)

adamd
21st January 2008, 12:41 PM
And it's hilarious when you say "What about scrolling sideways" and they say "Why would you need to scroll sideways?" and you send them a link to a fat website :)

eg sites with text on one line :)...

actually, my friend's site had a bug in it, where you could use javascript to load his site in an iFrame, and give it a new stylesheet :) man I had fun with that one.

VALANDI
28th January 2008, 10:30 PM
hmmm i can get finger scrolling but cant get the friggin right click to work...

2 fingers on trackpad then click? hmmm

it works when i do this in bootcamp but not on mac os

gareth
28th January 2008, 10:33 PM
hmmm i can get finger scrolling but cant get the friggin right click to work...

2 fingers on trackpad then click? hmmm

it works when i do this in bootcamp but not on mac os

hold your fingers down on second click ?

VALANDI
28th January 2008, 10:42 PM
Alls good. i figured it out. had to set the right click option up in the system pref...

MrJesseRoss
28th January 2008, 10:45 PM
Argh! I just discovered right clicking on the trackpad! I feel like a wizard!

Only a couple of days on this macbook so far, but i feel my trackpad skills are coming along nicely. Though I still find myself reaching for the non-existent mouse from time to time.

nighteyes
28th January 2008, 10:55 PM
Until I read this post I was happily 2 finger scrolling around on the Mac and trying to do it on the work dell...

The two finger and tap is new and something I am sure will make this mac experience even better.

Cheers!

Daviddc
16th February 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm so used to 2 finger scrolling with the iBook, (bugger the work windoze can't do it) but anyone else had this experience?

when using Google maps down or to right makes it zoom out and up or left ->zoom in

so do people have any way of training my brain to remember when 2 fingers works as wanted and when not to use it? or a way to optionally switch off zooming in Google maps?

we prefer to use Google because whereis can't even find where we have lived in 2 separate towns!