PDA

View Full Version : Mac Book Air, Pro Or Macbook?

NORMANDY
17th January 2008, 12:13 PM
which would you choose as your next laptop?

MBP for me, need firewire 400 and 800 and DVD burner, and also need a gutsy Graphics card that is all portable, and need the biggest screen possible in a laptop for editing. So its a MBP or bust for me.

mechcon
17th January 2008, 12:26 PM
MacBook Pro.. for my profession/hobby it's THE notebook for me. and Im replying without criticisms at all on which sucks. they're all great notebooks for the right situations.

uncyherb
17th January 2008, 12:26 PM
Why have a poll with no replies?

500 people could say MacBook. That doesn't mean anything to me unless they say WHY!

Is it money? lightest with DVD drive? Cheapest with full spec processor? Their great Aunt is giving them one?

For me, the next laptop will be at least one year away, and it will be a toss up between a MBP and MBA (Need speed & portability). For my missus it will be between a MB and MBA (portability & cost).

Aaron
17th January 2008, 12:31 PM
Macbook. Wanted a small notebook that's durable and has good performance, along with all the extras. Only downside to the machine is integrated graphics, but apart from that I love it!

decryption
17th January 2008, 12:50 PM
This poll is silly :p
If you need a MacBook Pro, buy one. If you need a MacBook, buy one of those. If you need a MacBook Air, then buy one!

You make it sound like Apple are going to stop producing the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Better stockpile them before manufacturing ceases!

bigdude101
17th January 2008, 12:57 PM
The MB will be ABSOLUTELY free after education discount now Rudd is in power, and I don't really care about size.

Aaron
17th January 2008, 01:26 PM
The MB will be ABSOLUTELY free after education discount now Rudd is in power, and I don't really care about size.

And you gather this from where?

timothy
17th January 2008, 01:31 PM
Mackbook Air ROCKS, it is just the start. the 9 inch version maybe. touchscreen versions, the possibilities are getting very exciting.

bigdude101
17th January 2008, 01:36 PM
And you gather this from where?

You know that rebate to high school students

lbeaumont
17th January 2008, 01:48 PM

AFAIK the rebate hasn't come in yet. The year I leave high-school, Rudd gives money for computers to schoolkids, typical.

Meh 626
17th January 2008, 01:54 PM
AFAIK the rebate hasn't come in yet. The year I leave high-school, Rudd gives money for computers to schoolkids, typical.

You must be happy! :D

Least I get to enjoy the benefit!

Only hope my school will allow Macs.

NORMANDY
17th January 2008, 01:55 PM
This poll is silly :p
If you need a MacBook Pro, buy one. If you need a MacBook, buy one of those. If you need a MacBook Air, then buy one!

You make it sound like Apple are going to stop producing the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Better stockpile them before manufacturing ceases!

Its not at all silly.

Most people who want a mac portable and will choose between the three models now on offer.

I have not indicated that Apple will stop production of any of the before mentioned machines, I am not even sure how you have drawn this conclusion from no information provided by me to even infer such a suggestion :confused:

They are now offering a product where they had no product to fit a certain niche before, I would highly doubt people would buy a MBP and a MBA (unless they have money to burn). In any case thats the purpose of the poll.

bubbles_r_us
17th January 2008, 02:17 PM
I'm starting Year 12 this year does that mean I will be able to get the rebate?

On topic, I'm so happy with my MacBook. I love the screen, camera, keys, whiteness, and it has just enough cool features.

Meh 626
17th January 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm starting Year 12 this year does that mean I will be able to get the rebate?

On topic, I'm so happy with my MacBook. I love the screen, camera, keys, whiteness, and it has just enough cool features.

You should, if Rudd hurries up to bring it in! Also depends on what your school wants to do with the money e.g. Get Desktops for all students or get Laptops/Notebooks for all students.

bubbles_r_us
17th January 2008, 02:33 PM
You should, if Rudd hurries up to bring it in!

Excellent, hopefully it won't be too far away!

NORMANDY
17th January 2008, 02:35 PM
You should, if Rudd hurries up to bring it in! Also depends on what your school wants to do with the money e.g. Get Desktops for all students or get Laptops/Notebooks for all students.

Can you please keep on topic? This is why I didn't want replies... too many discussions going off on tangents...! PLEASE KEEP any discussion relevant to the poll, or start another thread about your issues.

Meh 626
17th January 2008, 02:37 PM

Same, there hasn't been much talk about it lately. This one of the things why we voted for him.

:D

Edit: Sorry , no more!

leachy
17th January 2008, 02:40 PM

Just claim it on tax. Your going to uni this year? Say your uni education is related to your current job, and boom, you have a half price laptop.

Lachie
17th January 2008, 03:25 PM

as much as i would love that to be the case, it wont happen this year. there was a statement at some point that STARTING 2009, students would get rebates on computers. mind you im still holding out to get it earlier than expected. no doubt that if they bring it in it will be administered to a point that you have no admin privilages and a stupid message above the login screen that says "your being watched and this computer is property of the education department" like my perants computers, who rent them from the ed. Grrrrrr

erase and install anyone?

also if i had a good computer at home like an imac or something, id get a MBA. if not deffinatly MBP

100th Post!

NeoRicen
17th January 2008, 04:32 PM
MacBook, in fact I'm getting one very soon, it will be my first NoteBook.

Aaron
17th January 2008, 07:42 PM

I'm starting year 11 this year, last year when Rudd came into power I looked around the net about what's really going to happen with this "rebate" thing. Turn's out it's just that schools will get more money to provide at least 1 computer per child attending the school. Besides, politicians will say anything to be elected :)

Good luck with your "free Macbook" (Although if it happens.. I think I'll get myself a iMac ;))

MacBook, in fact I'm getting one very soon, it will be my first NoteBook.

You'll love it. I've just recently bought one myself as my first Mac... And I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

Cheers

thinkDifferent
17th January 2008, 07:59 PM
Just claim it on tax. Your going to uni this year? Say your uni education is related to your current job, and boom, you have a half price laptop.

Ohh that sounds very enticing, although if i wish to get a laptop through a salary sacrifice can i still claim that my uni has to do with my work (which it does :D) and get a 1/2 price rebate ? just starting my first year uni :)

iPirate
17th January 2008, 08:41 PM
MBP - Road Warrior: You can do what you want, where you want, at near-desktop speeds.
MBA - Excecutive: You can take your Keynote presentations, your Numbers accounts and/or your Pages documents with you in a Manila folder in your briefcase.
MB - Looks like *someone* couldn't afford a MBP or an iMac + MBA :P (1)

(1) Including me :(

TheMountainGoat
17th January 2008, 09:17 PM
Give me the MacBook Pro any day...

Main reason, big hands, more comfortable for 8 hours a day use!

Other reasons... Near desktop speed (wonder when the Quad Cores will be in them?), size of screen, decent battery life, and not having to carry an external hard disk and/or rewriter drive.

I would be tempted by the air, just for the fact that when I am in meetings and the like, it would give a better impression than a slightly grubby MBP, if it didn't mean downgrading the current storage capacity. Isn't it the same hard disk that is in the iPod Classic? And I think it is the biggest 1.8" disk currently on the market... (EDIT: Nope, I have just found that there is a 100GB and 120GB version available...)

Sunnz
17th January 2008, 11:06 PM
MBP, just love the power. (And LED.)

riotgeek
18th January 2008, 05:43 AM
MacBook Pro.

Just got a MBP on Tuesday, to replace my old iBook G4. :D
So far I am thrilled with it. Glad I spent the extra $.
(I use Photoshop daily.)

Squozen
18th January 2008, 06:02 AM
I think my next one will be an Air. In fact, I'm considering selling my MBP, getting the MBA and pocketing the difference. :)

Mikey D
18th January 2008, 11:04 AM
Yep, dumb poll.

The correct answer is it depends on what you want it for.

snark
18th January 2008, 12:07 PM
Yep, dumb poll.

A poll does not have correct or incorrect answers. It provides an indication of what the community prefers.
The question 'which would you choose as your next laptop?' seems reasonable to me. The OP wasn't asking which is best.

LarryH
18th January 2008, 12:16 PM
MacBook.

NORMANDY
18th January 2008, 12:31 PM
Yep, dumb poll.

Then why even comment if it is DUMB?

clearly a troll response, that doesn't warrant a comment , lets try to keep on topic.. if you think its dumb, then why even come in here and hi jack with stupid comments that are not relevant. I AM TOTALLY SICK OF PEOPLE COMMENTING on totally non relevant issues, its getting like whirlpool in here. :eek:

Arkhum_Eramak
18th January 2008, 12:45 PM
I would say MacBook Pro is what I want, but since I work on my Mac Pro I basically need a smaller, portable lite video editor and audio capture/video capture laptop. It'd be pulled out twice a year, I could guarantee. I used to have a 15" PowerBook for this task, but it was too big/heavy for my lightweight needs, and a MacBook Air is unfortunately too...lacking in the IO department. So I voted MacBook, just cause next time JB Hifi go all 'hey baby, x amount of years interest free' I'm gonna grab me a black MacBook. They just look more professional than a white one ;P

Abaddon
18th January 2008, 03:17 PM
I'm a switcher-in-waiting, waiting on an update to the MBP before making the switch. Why MBP? I need a machine with near desktop capabilities that I can take on the road if needed. The MBP fits the bill nicely.

stuey_boy
21st January 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm a switcher-in-waiting, waiting on an update to the MBP before making the switch. Why MBP? I need a machine with near desktop capabilities that I can take on the road if needed. The MBP fits the bill nicely.

I'm with you there, switcher, waiting on the penryn update for better battery and thermals, which will be important for me where I am using it...

sighclops
21st January 2008, 01:24 PM
good poll :)

vote for mbpro here, once u own one u understand :) i think the Air is nice, but it is for an entirely different niche (where the current notebook becomes a "desktop" and the Air becomes the "new notebook")

marc
21st January 2008, 01:32 PM
i think the Air is nice, but it is for an entirely different niche (where the current notebook becomes a "desktop" and the Air becomes the "new notebook")
Great observation.

The Air makes sense when you consider most computers sold these days are laptops... so why not have slightly more choice where all the sales are, even if the options overlap.

NORMANDY
22nd January 2008, 06:32 AM
Great observation.

The Air makes sense when you consider most computers sold these days are laptops... so why not have slightly more choice where all the sales are, even if the options overlap.

agreed, a few executive type females mentioned they would rather have an air than a MBP.. as all they do is type and surf on it anyway.. so sounds fair.. and they have the income to afford it...:cool:

mechcon
22nd January 2008, 06:57 AM
I'd be more intrigued to see which is the more popular notebook for switchers.. it was a PowerBook G4 for me back in early/mid 2005.. and I read a few replies, and overall? from my experience, I've seen the MBP being the switcher's choice.. but yeah.. Interesting poll to see what people prefer though (even though they're all great lappies)