PDA

View Full Version : iChat conundrum

Bobster
16th January 2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry if this thread is a repeat. I did do a search and did not find a query like this.

We use iChat for two main family contacts. One is is Melbourne, the other across town in Perth.

We connect seamlessly with Melbourne but just cannot connect with what I will call Perth2.

Melbourne connects fine with Perth2 and vice versa.

However, when we try to contact Perth2 here is no connection at all just a failed to respond or timed out message.

We are on ADSL and the other users are both on cable. We have been with Bigpond but are changing. The Melbourne party is with Optus (but was previously with Bigpond and had no iChat issues with Perth2) and Perth2 with Bigpond.

Finally do other iChat users have problems on Virgin broadband? We have just switched and are finding it pixellates and then drops out. the signal is weak and we are considering using the 30-day return option but if it is teething troubles we would reconsider.

Thanks for any help and apologies again if this is a duplication.

Galumay
16th January 2008, 06:13 PM
its a common problem with iChat AV, its very sensitive to hardware configuration and setups. look for any firewalls that are enabled - these will cause problems. try disabling everything and see if that helps.

i have a number of contacts just like yours, will work one way but not another.

a good source of info is the ralph johns site - i will find the link and post it.

edit - http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/

thorevenge
16th January 2008, 06:16 PM
Port 5060, which is used for VoIP and iChat is blocked on most Telstra modems unless UPnP is enabled.

I'd concur with Galumay and check firewall configs...

Galumay
16th January 2008, 06:24 PM
good pickup thorevenge, i forgot about that little trick of tel$tra's!

ollielowe
16th January 2008, 06:43 PM
I have run into this problem more than enough times with my friends, and it must happen to a lot of people. It's really starting to piss me off, quite frankly.

The only time it (video conferencing) does work if we're all on the same network, but other times if I try and initiate a video conference OS X throws me a 'your computer is not capable of initiating bla bla.' Which I'm sure is not the case with my laptop? (2 gig ram 2.16ghz c2d macbook)

Can still do audio though... :o
And thanks for that link Galumay, going through that site now.