PDA

View Full Version : Using stationery in Leopard Mail

MarkNoosa
16th January 2008, 04:26 PM
Got very excited when saw that new Mail had stationery, then tried to use it! I want to create some business templates that I can quickly edit (eg, add person's name), maybe add an attachment (not allowed with stationery) - makes it look like replies are personalised, but are mostly a template. Can anyone point me to some 'how to' info as I really want to use the stationery. ps I was using MailTemplateEditor in Tiger which was ok but very basic - no html

Thanks
Mark

jeremy_warnock
16th January 2008, 05:04 PM
Howdy mark its very simple I have done it for my home business. Simply open mail, then set up your email as you would like it displayed. Note here any graphics need to be in a jpg format. You can fill in subjects and cc or bcc fields as well then in mail goto file and save as stationary. Once done you will find your newly designed stationary under custom

Hope this helps

MarkNoosa
17th January 2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks Jeremy. Now when I go to use one of my newly created templates from Custom, it won't let me edit it, say add the person's name in the body of the email. When I select the body to try and edit it I get a big blue 'block out' which I can't seem to get through. There also seems to be a 'remove stationery' command (you see it if you try and add an attachment which isn't a jpg) but can't find it as a menu option anywhere. Appreciate your help.

Optogamut
17th January 2008, 10:48 AM
I modified an existing one or you can make one from scratch too...

There are some tutorials around or you can read this at apple,
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/MailArticles/Articles/stationery.html

jeremy_warnock
17th January 2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks Jeremy. Now when I go to use one of my newly created templates from Custom, it won't let me edit it, say add the person's name in the body of the email. When I select the body to try and edit it I get a big blue 'block out' which I can't seem to get through. There also seems to be a 'remove stationery' command (you see it if you try and add an attachment which isn't a jpg) but can't find it as a menu option anywhere. Appreciate your help.

How did you create the stationary maybe I got you confused. please correct me if Im wrong, but did you type up your form letter or whatever and save that as a jpg?? sound like it. What I meant was to type up your email like you would, by clicking new message, type in all your details you want and your wording and then save in using the save as stationary option. All I meant about the jpg was if you want to include any graphics or price list etc they need to be jpgs not pdfs. You can use a pdf but you need to attach it to each and ever email you send

Broomemac
20th January 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi,
I have read your thread, and have a similar problem - I can design stationery using the templates, but "Save as Stationery" is not highlighted, so I can't seem to save it.

Help!

MarkNoosa
22nd January 2008, 04:51 PM
Jeremy, thanks for your help. I created the custom stationery exactly as you say - used a blank new email, added my subject, text and signature and saved it as stationery (Custom). My intention was to use this 'template' to provide a generic response to a standard email question we receive from time to time. Even though the response is generic, we try and make it a bit more personal by using the person's first name etc.

So in my template I left room to add the person's name but found it difficult to get to that place when I selected the stationery. My workaround was to click anywhere and get the big blue block out screen, then select the up arrow and voila, I had arrow-movement ability but not mouse-movement - weird but it worked. Then to add the pdf I simply tried to attach it, got the warning, removed the stationery and then added the pdf.

There must be an easier way!!!

To Optogamut, thanks for your input. I looked at that developer note - over my head. I'll see if I can find the tutorials you referred to - they sound good.

To Broomemac - there is some minimal assistance inside Mail help. I think you may have to start with a new message rather than tailer one of the provided stationery items.