PDA

View Full Version : Options for importing Macbook Air

Razer
16th January 2008, 03:23 PM
Now, we are all aware of the massive price differential between the US pricing and the AU pricing. If someone was considering buying one and willing to import what are the options. Apple Laptop warranties are world wide right? So that's the first issue. Secondly postage would be reasonably affordable, there would be a GST payable to customs and then there would be the matter of finding a company that would export the unit to you.. I'm going to start doing some research, probably start with the company a lot of folks used to get Iphones. Anyway it could be much cheaper..

andrew.wilson
16th January 2008, 03:32 PM
If you are able to buy one in the US store and get it shipped to a mail forwarding company then bingo - you have a MBA for shitloads cheaper than here...well worth looking into.

Keep me posted...

bartron
16th January 2008, 03:40 PM
find a friend in the states willing to buy one for you then post it out as a 'gift'. Then if you get stung by customs you can apply for the gift concession which makes the first $200 GST free (i.e. if they say the value is $1700 then you are still liable for GST on $1500). You only save $20 though. kinda sucks really.....why do you need to pay anything if it's a gift?

jeremy_warnock
16th January 2008, 03:41 PM
Check out the japan store too, there is a very kind member Kuma who lives in japan and has in the past offered his services. You pay for the item to get shipped to his address and them he forwards it onto you. There was a saving to be had

cosmichobo
16th January 2008, 04:10 PM
If you were going to really get serious about this... buy in bulk - get a conglomerate of members together to pool your resources. Save on postage, and also possibly get a bulk buyers discount from the retailer.

I dealt with a company in Beverly HIlls back in 98, but no idea if they still even operate... SmallDog were also willing to sell Macs overseas...

You'll need a US-AU power plug adaptor as well...

grimmy
16th January 2008, 04:24 PM
Anyone know of an email address to pose the question to Apple Australia to explain the price?
As a apple focused web board maybe we should all put together a please explain to Apple Australia

iSlayer
16th January 2008, 04:54 PM
Anyone know of an email address to pose the question to Apple Australia to explain the price?
As a apple focused web board maybe we should all put together a please explain to Apple Australia

We are a small fish in a big pond. Anything we say wont influence apple in the slightest.

SRG
16th January 2008, 04:58 PM
also they will say the currency fluctuates and no doubt they are hedged and their pricing reflects this.

MrJesseRoss
16th January 2008, 05:14 PM
Where's that crazy person who came here a few months back to complain at us for not being morally outraged at being asked to pay more for things and expecting prices to change everytime the exchange rate did? They were quite entertaining.

palais
16th January 2008, 05:14 PM
We are a small fish in a big pond. Anything we say wont influence apple in the slightest.

Still doesn't hurt to try and have your voice heard, and at least try to garner a response.
You know, just remind them that they have customers to look after, not just sales figures.:)

Razer
16th January 2008, 05:20 PM
Still doesn't hurt to try and have your voice heard, and at least try to garner a response.
You know, just remind them that they have customers to look after, not just sales figures.:)

If anything the response will be "No Comment"

Lachie
16th January 2008, 05:29 PM
then we take the aggressive approach and everyone can set up a plugin for mail, to automatically send the same message to them everyday.
1 message per day x mayby 1000 members to participate
1000 x a year is allot of emails

of cause this wont work and we will be blocked by our isps, but it sounds fun

Razer
16th January 2008, 05:34 PM
then we take the aggressive approach and everyone can set up a plugin for mail, to automatically send the same message to them everyday.
1 message per day x mayby 1000 members to participate
1000 x a year is allot of emails

of cause this wont work and we will be blocked by our isps, but it sounds fun

I dunno how fun that would be really.

andrewhollo
16th January 2008, 06:17 PM
I don't get why someone would do this. Figure the maths, all in AUD$ and all in round figures:
1. Cost of machine = say $2050
2. GST = $205
3. Registered mail / courier = $50-$100
Approximate total = $2300+

Would you go to that much trouble to save less than 10%??

I wouldn't. My $0.02 worth. Plus I'd need one of those pesky plug adapters.

basseyy
16th January 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't get why someone would do this. Figure the maths, all in AUD$ and all in round figures:
1. Cost of machine = say $2050
2. GST = $205
3. Registered mail / courier = $50-$100
Approximate total = $2300+

Would you go to that much trouble to save less than 10%??

I wouldn't. My $0.02 worth. Plus I'd need one of those pesky plug adapters.

yea, I agree, besides the Aussie $ is only about 80c or less, so the exchange rate will always cost aussies more for their US buck, plus with all the taxes and charges etc, thats why its ALWAYS going to cost more... always

cjt1986
16th January 2008, 06:27 PM
10% is the external drive bit sorted I guess.
Importing Apple stuff gets easier if you work it into a trip (or a dearly beloved relative's trip), however even with the difficulty of GST -
[forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, but do you need to declare the laptop only if it is brand new, sealed in box, or if say it was unboxed and in a case instead - like a laptop you would travel with - or is that extremely dodgy?]
Either way the saving seems to outweigh the ridiculous cost.

aswitcher
16th January 2008, 06:28 PM
yea, I agree, besides the Aussie $ is only about 80c or less, so the exchange rate will always cost aussies more for their US buck, plus with all the taxes and charges etc, thats why its ALWAYS going to cost more... always

Actually 88 cents and climbing

SteveClark
16th January 2008, 06:40 PM
G'day all

I went shopping for a camera in Melbourne over Christmas - prices were between $699 and $799. Mail order was ~$650 (not inc delivery).

On a friend's advice I ordered it from B&H Photo in New York for $US349.95 and $US45.70 delivery. Worked out at about $450 Australian plus $12 for an adapter for the battery charger. Delivery took 8 days.

It can work but I'd keep purchases under $1000 and wouldn't do it too often.

They sell Apple stuff also ....

Cheers
Steve

cosmichobo
16th January 2008, 07:07 PM
We actually get around US$0.90 for our AU$1.00 at the moment...

With my TAM, I just use an Aussie cord, which plugged straight into its base unit... (although admittedly when I first got it, I didn't want to be so unholy, so did buy an adaptor) Whether that is possible with the Air is another matter though.

As for "only" saving 10%... $220 is a fair bit to a lot of people... If I was in the market for an ultra thin low spec laptop... I'd consider it.

NeoRicen
16th January 2008, 07:50 PM
Remember the GST people, when you take that into account our prices are much closer (still bad). Also consider that US customers have to pay sales tax as well, but that's not included in their price. Our prices are pretty accurate when you take GST into account and obvious tarriffs etc. (or whatever)

TheWatchman
16th January 2008, 07:58 PM

*buzzer sound*
As of 8:57PM Sydney time 1AUD = 0.88039 US Cents
and 1,799.00 USD = 2,043.74 AUD

source: xe.com

However, there are possibly other reasons why these machines cost more in Australia. One of the main reasons I'm seeing is that wages are higher compared to US when you look at the exchange rate.

Woodsey
16th January 2008, 08:09 PM
10% is the external drive bit sorted I guess.
Importing Apple stuff gets easier if you work it into a trip (or a dearly beloved relative's trip), however even with the difficulty of GST -
[forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, but do you need to declare the laptop only if it is brand new, sealed in box, or if say it was unboxed and in a case instead - like a laptop you would travel with - or is that extremely dodgy?]
Either way the saving seems to outweigh the ridiculous cost.

no need to declare the laptop if it's not in original box. bought a new mac book pro in the US and sent my old ibook home in the macbook pro box. took the new macbook pro with me as carry on luggage on the flight home. Also, sent a couple grand worth of clothes back to australia from the US in the post. never paid any tax or import duty on that either.