PDA

View Full Version : Mail.app - how to get rid of unwanted addresses???

halledise
16th January 2008, 09:39 AM
each time I've upgraded the OS on both mine and the missus' machine, we still end up with a swag of addresses to choose from when composing a new email, and so have to be on the ball as to which of Friend A's 10 addresses is their current one, for example.

also the address of the sales dept at a company you made an enquiry of back it '03 keeps popping up as an option to use.

anyone know of a quick fix - rather than having to go thru and delete/modify one-buy-one?? :confused::confused:

tintinaujapon
16th January 2008, 09:44 AM
Erase the unwanted addresses from your Previous Recipients list and they will stop popping up all the time.

halledise
16th January 2008, 09:56 AM
Erase the unwanted addresses from your Previous Recipients list and they will stop popping up all the time.

many thanks - that easy huh.

learn something new every day :D

tintinaujapon
16th January 2008, 11:26 PM
Those times you say to yourself, "There must be a way to do this" but you just can't figure it out, the MacTalk Hive will give you the answer in minutes flat.

danphilly
16th December 2008, 09:29 PM
I want to delete unwanted address from Mail, so that I can begin a completely new Address book. However, even after I delete all the vCards (singly or as a group), they all reappear. Since I have large number of addresses to delete (several thousand), it is bad that they keep reappearing in my address book. I want to delete the old addresses, and just keep a newer and smaller number of addresses. UNLIKE the previous thread, this is NOT a question of deleting previous recipients (I already did that). I want to delete every address in my Addresses, and start again with a new list. Everytime I do this, the several thousand addresses reappear 'magically' back in my Addresses. (I've also tried emptying the Trash, and rebooting, etc.).

Any ideas???:)

Kuma
16th December 2008, 10:02 PM
I want to delete unwanted address from Mail, so that I can begin a completely new Address book. However, even after I delete all the vCards (singly or as a group), they all reappear. Since I have large number of addresses to delete (several thousand), it is bad that they keep reappearing in my address book. I want to delete the old addresses, and just keep a newer and smaller number of addresses. UNLIKE the previous thread, this is NOT a question of deleting previous recipients (I already did that). I want to delete every address in my Addresses, and start again with a new list. Everytime I do this, the several thousand addresses reappear 'magically' back in my Addresses. (I've also tried emptying the Trash, and rebooting, etc.).

Any ideas???:)

are you a mobileme member?

if so it is possible that the addresses are being synced back....

delete the address book...

go to mobileme in syspref
sync
advanced
reset sync data
and have it reset the "cloud" data from the computer.

danphilly
17th December 2008, 09:26 PM
THanks for the suggestion. However, I'm not signed up for Mobileme. The machine is a MacbookPro G4 (running OS 10.4). Any other ideas?

adamd
17th December 2008, 09:43 PM
Those times you say to yourself, "There must be a way to do this" but you just can't figure it out, the MacTalk Hive will give you the answer in minutes flat.

Correction. 5 minutes flat.

danphilly
18th December 2008, 09:11 PM
Any more ideas?

Al Aero
18th December 2008, 09:28 PM
this:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~alexander_reid/Drop%20Stuff/Picture%202.png

then this:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~alexander_reid/Drop%20Stuff/Picture%204.png

a.