PDA

View Full Version : iChat always opens on a dialup connection

Danamania
15th January 2008, 01:36 PM
This is an annoying one that's started popping up in the last month or so, on my mother's mac.

It's a G4/500, 896MB RAM, running 10.3.9 (Panther) and connected via dialup only. It's been running pretty reliably for more than a year now, if limited by awful phonelines out this way, and often 28.8kbps max dialup speeds :). That's not the issue though.

The problem I'm having is on every dialup connection, iChat auto-runs *AND* logs in automatically. OK, that's two problems - as iChat doesn't have the password for the account entered in prefs, nor does it have an entry in keychain (which is almost empty on this machine as it's never used) for ichat login details. iChat itself has an option to automatically login when started, which I can turn off - but iChat still runs when a dialup connection is initiated, and it'd only take someone ticking that button to auto-login again (once more, despite not having my password)

Every time my mother uses her G4, and I'm logged into iChat from my home machine, I get a message saying iChat has logged in on another session - I can disconnect the one on mum's machine fine remotely when AOL's little warning bot tells me there are multiple logins, but it's a pain to do - not to mention that anyone using my mother's machine (there's about 3-4 people who do, regularly) get my iChat popping up on them when they use it for the 'net. That's not good, whether it's my iChat or my mother's - I'm not always on my home machine in order to disconnect them.

There's no camera connected to this machine to fire up iChat automatically (and that option is turned off anyway), and nothing in startupitems reveals anything interesting - all that's there is itunes helper, ical and usb over drive.

I've gone into ~/Library/Preferences, and deleted the 3 iChat prefs files there, then rebooted - unfortunately immediately afterwards, iChat runs again, as soon as the dialup connects. Of course with prefs deleted it asks to re-setup a connection again - but both my .mac login *and* password are already filled out in the form, and it's just a button click or two away from connecting automatically again. This shouldn't be happening, as I have no ichat or .mac entry in keychain - somehow it's getting my username and password somewhere else.

I'm at a loss. Normally a few hours peeking around online and I'll find what's broken - but this time, I've been stuck for a few weeks! any hints? I want to do two things

1. Stop iChat firing up automatically when a dialup connection is initiated
2. Stop iChat auto-logging in when it doesn't (technically) have my password, like all other iChat installs I've used.

Dana

Disko
15th January 2008, 01:46 PM
System Preferences > .Mac

Are your details saved to there?

Danamania
15th January 2008, 02:02 PM
My login name is, but the password isn't - trying to go to the iDisk tab says either the username or password is missing, so it *seems* to be acting sane, like it should with no password.

Dana

Danamania
15th January 2008, 04:03 PM
Bleh. under a new user account, iChat still starts up on a dialup connect, but doesn't immediately have my user account info.

If I log out of iChat and give it a false password, I'm OK now - it'll keep trying to use the false password to login, and fail - though it doesn't solve the problem of the auto-run. zipping ichat up does fix that... but they're workarounds, and painful ones to remember every time I use iChat... The wrong-password workaround isn't all that good either, as deleting ichat's preferences then just re-sets iChat and has my working username/password already filled out in its form.

This. Makes. No. Sense.

dana

thorevenge
15th January 2008, 05:42 PM
Make sure that the Internal Modem doesn't have, under PPP Options, Connection automatically when needed ticked.

Danamania
15th January 2008, 05:53 PM
Make sure that the Internal Modem doesn't have, under PPP Options, Connection automatically when needed ticked.

That bit's working fine - and that's how it's set, so it connects to dialup whenever mum wakes or turns on the mac. It's been that way since I set the machine up.

The hassle is with iChat auto-running and connecting, whether or not the dialup connection is automatic or manually started.

Dana

Danamania
15th January 2008, 10:19 PM
Bloody hell. I swear I zipped iChat up so it wouldn't run, and just got a message that it logged on from elsewhere - I think my sis has fired up the mac and it's loaded. Again. And logged in.

The Architect.mac
15th January 2008, 10:28 PM
under prefs- general

is show status in menubar checked and at user login set status to available checked?

and under prefs - account

is When iChat opens, automatically log in checked?

cheers

edit - its not sitting in the startup items either?

Danamania
15th January 2008, 11:14 PM
under prefs- general

is show status in menubar checked and at user login set status to available checked?

and under prefs - account

is When iChat opens, automatically log in checked?

cheers

edit - its not sitting in the startup items either?

The menu bar status isn't turned on, and I don't think the "At user login set status to available" option exists on Panther's iChat. I've tried "When iChat Opens Automatically Log in" checked or unchecked - it starts up on a dialup connection both ways.

As for startup items - the only things in there are iTuneshelper, iCal's helper thing, and USB overdrive - can't remember their exact names, I'm not at the machine right now :)

Dana

Currawong
16th January 2008, 12:26 AM
There's also an option for having iChat keep you logged in even after you quit the program. Make sure that isn't selected either. I recall someone else had this problem and it was a setting somewhere.

Danamania
16th January 2008, 01:39 PM
There's also an option for having iChat keep you logged in even after you quit the program. Make sure that isn't selected either. I recall someone else had this problem and it was a setting somewhere.

The closest I have to that is an option "When I quit iChat, set my status to Offline". It only allows me to un-tick it if I have the option to Show Status In Menu Bar turned on - presumably so someone using it doesn't quit, leave themselves online, but without any indication they're online. Either way, no matter which of those options are set, iChat still starts up (bouncing in the dock and all) when a dialup connection starts.

I've dragged my Powerbook G3 over here to mums to test its internet sharing with the G4 - I can plug ethernet from the G4 into the G3, and the G4 can share the G3's 'net access and get an IP on en0 instead of on ppp0 - when en0 comes up with an IP address, iChat *doesn't* launch. Looks like it's a dialup-only thing triggering this.

Dana

Danamania
18th January 2008, 12:59 PM
Bleh II. When I left mum's machine yesterday, I just deleted iChat outright, and everything I could find named iChat on the machine.

I can use my laptop if I need to chat for a few days when I'm over there, until I can upgrade mum's computer to 10.4, with a complete fresh install.

Here's the stupid thing. This morning, I get a message that iChat has logged in as me from somewhere else. I head over to mum's place - sure enough, iChat is back there in /Applications *and* it's loaded, *and* it's logged in as me. again.

Times like this I suspect malware, or wonder whether some bastard coder at Apple sneaks insanity into OSX just to infuriate me.

Dana

Disko
18th January 2008, 01:12 PM
How about setting iChat's permissions so that it can't be opened or overwritten by any user other than root?

Danamania
18th January 2008, 01:24 PM
That could very well work. It'd also prevent me from using iChat but then... reinstall anyway.

I hate not being able to solve things. Frustration++

Dana

Currawong
18th January 2008, 01:56 PM
If it were a machine of mine, I'd want to be there when the dialin+ iChat restore happened so I could read the console and system logs, or otherwise see what processes are running in the terminal. I have trouble believing that Apple would include an auto-restore function for an application to be honest, without documenting it.