PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy way back to Tiger

drivesafe
15th January 2008, 07:06 AM
Hi folks, I didnít need to upgrade to Leopard but it offered some advantages over Tiger but problems that have come with leopard means my mac is next to useless for my business.

My Macbook Pro is unbelievably slower and my two main programs either don't work at all or some functions don't work, like not being able to print.

Is there an easy way to remove Leopard and return to Tiger.

Cheers.

SyncMan
15th January 2008, 07:12 AM
No there is no easy way.

Make a clone of your main disk to another disk.

Erase the main disk, and re-install Tiger with needed apps.

Use Migration Assistant to bring only docs back from the other disk.

I would not try and bring over apps or Library items from the other disk, as they most likely be too new and too different for Tiger to cope.

My thoughts anyway.

LarryH
15th January 2008, 08:17 AM
Backing up your files and erasing the disk doesn't sound like that big of a job.

You could partition part of your drive to hold the files then install leopard on another partition and transfer files that way.

Galumay
15th January 2008, 08:51 AM
what have you done to address the issues you have found with leopard? none of my computers run slower under leopard and i no longer have any apps i need that wont run under leopard - what are the ones you are having issues with?

it may be much easier, and better in the long run, to get your system working properly!

Wally
15th January 2008, 08:56 AM
what have you done to address the issues you have found with leopard? none of my computers run slower under leopard and i no longer have any apps i need that wont run under leopard - what are the ones you are having issues with?

it may be much easier, and better in the long run, to get your system working properly!

Leopard works fine here on my MacBook, i'm with Galumay here on this issue.

Have you:

Done all the Software Updates?
Updated the program to the latest version?
Done a disk permission repair in Disk Utility?

More importantly, how much ram do you have? 2GB is a standard these days.

LarryH
15th January 2008, 08:58 AM
Both of my computers run slightlyfaster on Leopard than they did on Tiger.

Did anyone realise they got rid of the "Starting Mac OS X" message after boot?

drivesafe
15th January 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Galumay, for the few advantages that I will gain if I stay with OX.5 verses the amount of applications I either have to replace with later versions or find an alternative for, itís just not worth the time and effort.

I actually bought Leopard to install in a older Twin Tower that never worked properly from day one, but I was told, by a few people who had installed Leopard in there older machines, that it did seem to fix a few problems.

I know it was a dumb move, because the Macbook was running perfectly, but as I had Leopard I decided to try it in the Macbook and now Iím paying for not taking notice of the old saying ď If itís not broke, donít fix it ď

Hi SyncMan and LarryH, thanks for your quick replies.

What sort of problems am I likely to cop if I just save a copy of everything to an external hard drive and bring it back after I reformat the Macbook.

If I have to reinstall all the application, thatís fine but am I likely to cop any other problems.

Cheers.

drivesafe
15th January 2008, 09:36 AM
Both of my computers run slightlyfaster on Leopard than they did on Tiger.

Although speed is not a real issue but for instance, where the Macbook would start relatively quickly on OX.4, with OX.5 I might as well go and have a cupper while I wait for it to start.

I installed OX.5 two weeks ago and it has frozen a few times ( 5 or 6 time ) and as posted above, my two main programs donít run properly or donít run at all.

Both are older programs, Canvas 8 and Photoshop Elements 2, but as both did all I needed, I see no reason to spend money on applications that worked perfectly on OX.4.

Cheers.

LarryH
15th January 2008, 09:54 AM
I think what you need here is patience. I mean my computer has frozen many times with Leopard but I am confident that it will be fixed with upcoming releases of Leopard such as 10.5.2.

What I'd really hate is to downgrade to Tiger and find that 10.5.2 fixes all the freezes I was experiencing.

SyncMan
15th January 2008, 12:23 PM
Hi SyncMan and LarryH, thanks for your quick replies.

What sort of problems am I likely to cop if I just save a copy of everything to an external hard drive and bring it back after I reformat the Macbook.

If you copy everything to an external hard drive that is formatted correctly beforehand, you should be able to boot from it, if your Mac supports that for the HD you have.

This will help you sort out possible issue if they do crop up.

The thing is whilst you should start with a copy of everything, you may, or should I say, should not bring everything back. Besides Migration Assistant works that way.

If I have to reinstall all the application, thatís fine but am I likely to cop any other problems.

If you avoid Library items more so yes, but the trouble is that Apple is using the Library for saving work files in some Apps, and I think that's a big no-no. So maybe some problems might come up, but ask here before you copy Library items back in one big lump.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and sometime these need to be taken on a case by case situation.

Currawong
15th January 2008, 12:58 PM
If you start from a Tiger installer DVD, you'll only have the options of an erase install or Archive Install, the latter allowing you to move back most painlessly.

drivesafe
17th January 2008, 08:44 AM
OK well that didnít quiet workout.

I used Archive to go back to OSX.4, which it did

BUT

I have no files ( I did save most of them first so I can reload them ) and a 120 gb computer showing 46 gb available.

Any ideas.

BTW, I forgot to save my internet info so I take it itís all gone?

drivesafe
17th January 2008, 11:28 AM
I think I have resolved the reason for so much of the hard drive being used, I have entered a new user name during the initial installation but itís not the user name that was originally used.

Is there any way of finding what the original name is, I know the password just canít remember the user name.

Cheers.

Currawong
17th January 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes, the old (short) username is the same as the name of the old home folder in /Users/.

drivesafe
17th January 2008, 05:08 PM
Hi again Currawong and thank you very much, I have managed to retrieve most of the files.

The one section I canít seem to find is my Bookmarks, any info as to where to look would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the Macbook Pro now only takes about 20 seconds to start-up instead of about 2 minutes under OS X.5.

Cheers.

drivesafe
17th January 2008, 05:56 PM
I should have posted that I use both Safari and Netscape.

I have all my Safari files but I canít find my Netscape Bookmarks or E-mails.

Cheers.

drivesafe
18th January 2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the help folks, after many hours of hair pulling and your assistance, I managed to retrieve all my files.

Cheers and thanks again, this is always a good site for Mac fix-its.

euphospug
27th February 2008, 03:21 PM
related question:
if I get a new MBP (which is pre-installed with Leopard) can I install Tiger so that i can use CS3 etc? I'm not sure wether CS3 works fully yet with Leopard.

If I purchase Tiger disks (from somewhere - that's a thought, where can I get those nowadays)

sendai
27th February 2008, 05:11 PM
There are no-longer any major issues with Leopard and CS3. Updates released by Adobe in December/January has resolved most issues.

Edit: O'n for your actual question, no, you will not be able to install Tiger on to your Leopard only MBP (You'd need drivers and what not, the installer just won't let you. I haven't tried installing on to another MBP and cloning it across, so if you really want to, try that.)

euphospug
27th February 2008, 05:25 PM
great - thanks for the update on CS3 I haven't heard any anouncements anywhere that this was resolved, so wasn't sure - would hate to drop th cash and not be able to do my work on it. thanks again.