PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ my G4

Robsj
15th January 2008, 06:58 AM
I have a older G4 1.2 GHz w/ 768 MB DDR SDRAM which I purchase about 4 yrs ago. It is getting ridiculously slow over the past 9 months and now I am having trouble accessing some internet sites such as you tube, etc. Safari will just shut down and I don't know what I can do to resolve the problem. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

BLINDER
15th January 2008, 07:04 AM
Try "repair disk permissions" in disk utility found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. That'd be a starting point first up.
I run it semi-regularly on my slightly older iMac (800mhz).
Safari and everything else works really well on here.
Maybe reinstall safari from your disk too!?
Do you regularly reset safari?? Go to Safari in the top left and click on "reset safari".
Which version BTW? And what's your op system?

mestevie
15th January 2008, 08:00 AM
Try "repair disk permissions" in disk utility found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. That'd be a starting point first up.
I run it semi-regularly on my slightly older iMac (800mhz).
Safari and everything else works really well on here.
Maybe reinstall safari from your disk too!?
Do you regularly reset safari?? Go to Safari in the top left and click on "reset safari".
Which version BTW? And what's your op system?

My Old G4 was doing the same about a month ago. as I have a full backup cloned via superduper, I fearlessly did an archive and install after running disk repair.

Not only did my speed problems go away, but i recovered about 7 gb of disk space (once i deleted the previous system folder that archive and install creates). I did have to do minor re-installs (perian, clamxav, wmv player etc) but on the whole the system was back up and running in an hour or so with all speed issues resolved.

If you are going to try this, make sure you have a full backup so you can get back to where you started (end disclaimer).

Wally
15th January 2008, 08:29 AM
Run MacJanitor as well, it runs all the daily, weekly, monthly cleanup tasks

kim jong il
15th January 2008, 10:20 AM
YouTube crashing Safari? Did you read this very recent thread on exactly that topic?

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=42635

Currawong
15th January 2008, 10:21 AM
Most importantly though, what version of Mac OS X is this?

People, first, repairing permissions wont speed up a computer. In fact, it probably wont do anything, as permissions don't magically screw up, something has to change them (usually software installers, but it's rare now). All it does is compare the permissions of the system components installed by Apple with what they were set to originally. Even if those permissions are different, this wont necessary cause problems.

Second, the daily, weekly, and monthly clean-up tasks don't do anything significant on a machine that's used by a single person, they were designed for servers with thousands of users.

Most likely is that installed software is slowing things down. Naturally an Archive Install will make the machine seem much faster, as it starts the machine again without the software installed that was causing trouble in the first place.

You could first try opening Activity Monitor (in Applications -> Utilities) and see if anything hasn't gone haywire and is causing the CPU to max out.

Knowing beats speculating anytime.

stewiesno1
15th January 2008, 10:36 AM
What size free hard drive space do you have ? OSX of all flavours likes to have about 10-15% free space available.
You also need to run a disc utility over your hard drive as well if you are not going to do an erase and install etc as mentioned above.TechToolPro and Discwarrior are the two best for Macs. They will pick up problems that Apples Disk Utility will not.
As always backup all your data first. You do backup regularly don't you ???

Stewie