View Full Version : iMac display connector

14th January 2008, 07:04 PM
I am posting this in the New Users' forum because even though I am not a new Mac user, I reckon that because I don't understand this whole connectors shenanigans, I would appreciate being treated as a newbie in your answers.

I just got the 24" iMac. Upgraded from a a G4 iBook. (And oh how wonderful the change has been. My head is still spinning with joy.)

Anyway, I used to have a 20" monitor attached to the iBook and when I went to plug it in to the iMac, it seems that the display connector on the back of the iMac is different to the the display connector on the side of my iBook.

The one on the iBook looks like a female connector. The one on the iMac looks like a male connector.

The adapter that came with my iBook has a connector at one end which is one of those screw-in ones, female, three rows of five holes, and a male connector at the other (that used to plug in to the iBook).

My question is, what adapter do I need to purchase so that I can have another monitor connected to my beautiful new iMac?

Because too much screen real estate is never enough.

Thanks in advance.

Alec Fraser
14th January 2008, 07:07 PM
The mini-DVI to DVI connector.

Edit: this one (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3474&osCsid=95c5bf94b43307614f22808790853338).

14th January 2008, 07:08 PM
Mini-DVI to DVI or Mini-DVI to VGA depending on the display you want to connect.

14th January 2008, 07:08 PM
I suspect you need to get a "mini DVI to VGA adapter". The iBook has a mini VGA port and the iMac has a mini DVI port. The adapters should be readily available at your nearest Mac reseller.

EDIT; damn you have to be quick around here.

At least I can give you a link http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=4825

EDIT 2: :eek:

14th January 2008, 07:11 PM
thatfilltyspringbok, Bahamut and Brewster you are my saviours.

Thank you so much!

14th January 2008, 07:19 PM
Oh noes! On reading the edits, one recommendation is the Mini DVI to DVI, the other is Mini DVI to VGA!

My head hurts.

Sorry to be a dunce, but which one should it be? The external monitor is an LCD and the cable that comes out of it is male, 3 rows of 5 pins.

Thanks for clarification you awesome MacTalk folk.

Alec Fraser
14th January 2008, 07:22 PM
is the cable connector going into the monitor white or blue? White is usually DVI, blue is usually VGA.




14th January 2008, 07:24 PM

Thank you springbok. When it is light I shall have a gekko at the back of the monitor.

Wow, this place really is so damned helpful. I am overwhelmed ;)

Alec Fraser
14th January 2008, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a VGA connector then, so you need the mini-DVI to VGA adapter :)