PDA

View Full Version : Why is TimeMachine taking so long to back up?

gallet
14th January 2008, 05:24 PM
Superduper can make a bootable clone in an hour but I'm not sure what's up with TM, it's been going for hours and is only up to 1.6GB. Isn't it supposed to back up the whole HD first?

Huy
14th January 2008, 05:27 PM
It depends on the changes you've made?

If you've just plugged in a new drive or started TM for the first time (after an OS reinstall or something) it will take a while to back up the entire drive.

After that it just does the incremental changes, so if you've done a lot of changes in the past hour (say, adding massive files to your disk) then it'll back those up.

It took me a long time to make the initial backup (around 50GB).

iPirate
14th January 2008, 05:53 PM
Also depends on whether we're talking one big file copied or thousands of little ones... yes, there does seem to be a difference.

gallet
14th January 2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes this is an initial backup while waiting for SD for Leopard. It's a 160GB drive but it only has about 50GB of stuff on it. That would normally take SD about an hour to completely clone.

I assume that the initial back up must be very similar to doing an initial SD clone. But after 6 hours now it has backed up 5 GB

Huy
14th January 2008, 06:44 PM
6 hours is too long for 5GB.

I don't think my initial 50GB was that long either. Look at the transfer rate in Activity Monitor.

gallet
14th January 2008, 07:32 PM
OK it's taken a few hours to get going but it has suddenly jumped to 16.1GB. It's been chugging away for 15minutes since I last looked and it's updated a further 200mb to 16.3!

Currawong
14th January 2008, 08:29 PM
That does sound rather odd. The first drive I used TM on had weird issues until I reformatted it using Disk Utility in Leopard. Then it worked fine.