PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up Leopard Server(Standard) and VPN

morgs
13th January 2008, 08:40 PM
Hello,

I did try searching the forums, but every now and then the searching just doesn't seem to work.

Here is my set up:
We have a static IP.
ADSL Netgear Router takes in the internet connection. (Not sure what the version is, but it had a VPN wizard).
Latest Aiport BS serves just the wireless.
Leopard Server in Standard Mode.

For the life of me I can't get the VPN working. I can't even make the server public. Granted I am out of my depth, but I am endeavoring to learn but there seems to be so many boxes to tick with servers that I never even know where I am up to.

On the 3 items in my setup above, what should the settings be starting to look like.

If I type our servers FQDN into Safari I am told that the server does not exist, but I can't work out how to make it available to the public. I am guessing that if I can't see the server via a browser then I am never going to be able to connect via VPN?

If you know of any other questions that I should be asking too, please let me know. My googling is getting me no where. I have even been doing the lynda.com tutorials on Leopard Server. So I promise that I am trying.

morgs
13th January 2008, 08:55 PM
Here is one thing that I really don't understand.

How does my computer at home know where our server is if I am never asked for the static IP Address? Is it really supposed to be as easy as using the FQDN which works or everything locally, but I see no way that it can work across the internet.

hewball
14th January 2008, 10:12 AM
try puitting in your static ip address of your internet connection where it asks for the FQDN on the connecting mac, as you may have interpreted the FQDN part as not what it actully is.

Hewball