PDA

View Full Version : OMG! My magsafe adapter is melting!

tompouk
13th January 2008, 01:50 PM
Shit.

My magsafe cable was becoming weird, so I tried to look on google for it. and I found this:

http://www.appledefects.com/?cat=33

EXACTLY what my cable is currently looking.

What a pain, seriously.. Is there any way to fix this? Did this happened to someone else?

Because the cable is currently opened wide, and it's becoming worse and I just don't know why...

I hope I'll be able to recharge my laptop untill I get another one.

Wally
13th January 2008, 02:10 PM
It should be covered under warranty.

I wouldn't recommend using the cable until its fixed, trust me I tried it and it just got really hot but moving the wire around will work but like i said, NOT RECOMMENDED (was on holidays)

RGSX12
13th January 2008, 02:11 PM
Exactly the same thing is happening to mine, I'm getting it replaced this week.

tompouk
13th January 2008, 02:15 PM

Damn, I need money, a car and a apple store. NOW!

LOL

Those damn things are costing a lot!

tompouk
13th January 2008, 02:16 PM

Is there any way to temporary fix it?

Because if I can't use my laptop I'll be dead. woah.

james the 2nd
13th January 2008, 02:28 PM
I've had the same thing happen.

Mine ended up smoking! So do not use, call apple and get them to replace it.

I was out of warranty by a few months but they still covered it. They posted out a replacement. (I think they were relieved the thing didn't catch fire!)

tompouk
13th January 2008, 02:48 PM
I was out of warranty by a few months but they still covered it. They posted out a replacement. (I think they were relieved the thing didn't catch fire!)

Is there any way to know if mine is out of warranty? Because I bought it from a friend, and I don't know when he bought it at first.

SyncMan
13th January 2008, 03:02 PM
Can I just say Apple have a history of this part of their laptop connectors short circuiting around this spot. I know from a couple of past examples I have had, amongst other wiring failures of sorts.

Apple cabling Quality Assurance is not something I am happy about.

However I would have thought that the "pressures" on the wiring of a MagSafe would have been less due to the reduction of major stress, but it seems like a build up of minor stress is still an issue.

Somewhat like what brings airplanes down if you watch that TV show about such.

james the 2nd
13th January 2008, 03:02 PM
Hmm.. not sure. Just give apple a call regardless. Nothing to lose.

RGSX12
13th January 2008, 04:13 PM
Damn, I need money, a car and a apple store. NOW!

LOL

Those damn things are costing a lot!

Yeah, I'm hopefully getting mine under Apple Care since it's not my fault that my charger's connection is getting extremely hot and melting it :)

forgie
13th January 2008, 04:22 PM
When you have current flowing through a wire, heat is dissipated, and for a certain current, it is proportional to the resistance. In other words, if you double the resistance of your wire, you will double the amount of power dissipated, and hence increase the heat somewhat. If you have a 20 strand copper wire (like what might be in the magsafe cable), and 10 of those strands break, then the local resistance at the broken section is going to be twice what it is where there are no broken strands.

The weakness in the magsafe connector comes from the thin cable that feeds into the plug, and the apparent lack of mechanical reinforcement. On my adapter, I push the little "cable clip" thing up against the plug so that it's flush with the plug. This provides a bit of mechanical reinforcement that prevents the kind of damage that is possible if you are careless with it.

In other words....

.... it is poorly designed, (and hopefully it will be fixed some time soon?) but if you are careful with it, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

To those with a melted cable... don't use it. If the cable has broken to the point that it is dissipating heat to the extent that it is melting the plastic, it will only get worse. If you have the know-how, you can pick up a magsafe connector from a dead AC adapter (or a travel adapter or something) and replace it yourself... the power supply will be fine, it's just the adapter. But if you can't actually replace the broken part, it WILL only get worse, not better. In other words, you can use it, if you absolutely HAVE TO, but only if you are watching it while you use it. Don't leave it plugged in when you go to bed or while you're not around.

edit: according to http://www.appledefects.com/?p=250, Apple have in fact made a design revision:
http://www.appledefects.com/images/newmagsafe.jpg

Huy
13th January 2008, 04:23 PM
Is there any way to know if mine is out of warranty? Because I bought it from a friend, and I don't know when he bought it at first.

Enter serial into www.apple.com.au/support

Right hand side.

"Check My Warranty and Repair Options"

RGSX12
13th January 2008, 04:52 PM
Mine looks exactly like the one on the left, but even worse. Your onto something with the wire going into the connector because when I push that wire harder in it will flash on for five seconds or so...

I could use it like this, but it just gets way to hot for comfort.

tompouk
14th January 2008, 02:13 AM
Mine looks exactly like the one on the left, but even worse. Your onto something with the wire going into the connector because when I push that wire harder in it will flash on for five seconds or so...

I could use it like this, but it just gets way to hot for comfort.

Here's mine:
http://image.bayimg.com/aainkaabp.jpg

I'm looking at apple warranty now..

And I'm NOT elligible for warranty. damn it!

Huy
14th January 2008, 02:52 AM
I guess you'll have to buy a new MagSafe charger, if you're out of warranty? :(

tompouk
14th January 2008, 02:56 AM
I guess you'll have to buy a new MagSafe charger, if you're out of warranty? :(

Yep, buying on internet without a credit card is a pain in the ass wow.

Huy
14th January 2008, 03:13 AM
Apply for a debit card?

I've got a St George Debit (Student account). No fees. :)

tompouk
14th January 2008, 03:43 AM
Apply for a debit card?

I've got a St George Debit (Student account). No fees. :)

I'm too young, I don't have a stable place to work, and I'm a student.

So they won't let me have one :thumbdn:

But I found a magsafe on eBay for about 55$ really cheap, brand new in the box.

So I guess I'll go with the money I have on paypal for selling stuff on eBay.

Wally
14th January 2008, 05:31 AM
Keep trying Apple my dear friend, one call will never get you anywhere.

Squozen
14th January 2008, 05:42 AM
I agree with Wally - it's a design fault and Apple should be replacing all affected adapters. In fact, given the fire risk, I think they should have recalled them.

SyncMan
14th January 2008, 06:11 AM
Given the past history that I noted before, I agree.

Linux_insidev2
14th January 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm too young, I don't have a stable place to work, and I'm a student.

So they won't let me have one :thumbdn:

Debit card does not equal credit card

It's like a keycard that works anywhere a credit card will, like the internet etc.

The only requirement is a bank account and being 18 or older.

tompouk
14th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Debit card does not equal credit card

It's like a keycard that works anywhere a credit card will, like the internet etc.

The only requirement is a bank account and being 18 or older.

Ah yeah! I already have 2 of these for two differents bank accounts.

But we can't use it on internet as we do with credit card...

I can use it anywhere in the world with an ATM, but not on any website....

Currawong
14th January 2008, 10:33 AM
Considering that it's a known defect, I think Apple will replace it out of warranty, or at least should.

kim jong il
14th January 2008, 10:47 AM
Ah yeah! I already have 2 of these for two differents bank accounts.

But we can't use it on internet as we do with credit card...

I can use it anywhere in the world with an ATM, but not on any website....

I think you may have misunderstood. He was referring to a product like a Visa debit card which is a credit card without the credit facility. ;) You load it up with money and use it exactly the same way you would a credit card but you only spend money you have.

They must exist in Canada I'm sure of it. :)

Huy
14th January 2008, 10:49 AM
Yep, credit being the borrowing of money you don't have (creating debt for yourself), and debit being the opposite (spending the money you already have access to) :p

...B.Com student :p

I'm pretty sure that your current ATM/keycard can be "upgraded" to an account with debit card facilities. Just make sure it has the VISA logo or Mastercard logo on it and you should be able to use it online, with PayPal, other websites etc...

tompouk
14th January 2008, 11:31 AM
Yep, credit being the borrowing of money you don't have (creating debt for yourself), and debit being the opposite (spending the money you already have access to) :p

...B.Com student :p

I'm pretty sure that your current ATM/keycard can be "upgraded" to an account with debit card facilities. Just make sure it has the VISA logo or Mastercard logo on it and you should be able to use it online, with PayPal, other websites etc...

Ah shit, we dont have it, instead we have bank debit card that does NOT works with visa and mastercard.

In Canada, the bank cards can only be used at POS and ATM's. There are no Visa or MasterCard branded debit cards in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card#Canada

:S DAMN IT.

Huy
14th January 2008, 11:45 AM
Wow. That is rather unexpected... sorry to hear. :(

ollielowe
14th January 2008, 05:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, maybe to prevent this from happening to me... do they get hot rather quickly and just start smoking or is it a gradual process over time?

Huy
14th January 2008, 06:11 PM
It sounds like a gradual thing.

I've had my one for about 22 months and it has been fine.

tompouk
15th January 2008, 02:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, maybe to prevent this from happening to me... do they get hot rather quickly and just start smoking or is it a gradual process over time?

No it's gradually, because when I got my macbook, the power adapter was fine. But in about a month the cable started to melt... :S

SyncMan
15th January 2008, 05:12 AM
So was it still in warranty when "about a month the cable started to melt"?

tompouk
15th January 2008, 05:32 AM
So was it still in warranty when "about a month the cable started to melt"?

No, far from in warranty :S

TheMountainGoat
18th January 2008, 08:15 PM
The melting, I have encountered it before on other things... When I was at UNI, I did some work in a technical electrical engineering company and we used to find that cables that were under stress usually fractured at a weak spot.

This area of the MagSafe, after looking at mine, is one of the two areas that take a lot of strain, usually because of the angles that the cable can be placed at, and also if the MagSafe fulfills its role to stop a floored MacBook, then the initial tension is going to be on the area just behind the sheathing from where it comes out of the connector block, and also the area on the opposite end, where the cable connects to the power brick.

This stretches or breaks the insulation of the individual cables inside, thus causing a current path in the cable, which gradually heats up. As the thing is covered in rubber, the heat has nowhere to dissipate, and also rubber is flammable.

It will also occur if the cable is coiled too tightly when packed away. This same thing happens to headphones, but you will not get a burn off them, because the current and wattage they carry is negligible compared to what the charger of the Mac is punching out.

Always pull the cable by the hard plastic bits, and make sure that the line between the power outlet and the machine is slack, if not, use an extended plug cable, or an extension lead from the wall. A bit of common sense, is a lot cheaper than visiting Apple for an out of warranty replacement.

themessup
21st January 2008, 04:34 PM
maybe when i get my MacBook ill get an extra cable...

tompouk
7th February 2008, 01:18 AM
I just bought one on ebay for 40bucks. Cheap, exactly like the real one except no apple on it :P

It's running fine! Everything would run fine after having waited for a month! damn it!!! :P

mac_man_luke
28th July 2008, 11:58 AM
My cable melted last night just where it goes into the power supply

looks like it should get replaced under warranty but not good when the cable gets that hot!!

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7415/photohc7.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photohc7.jpg)

THAPR1NC3
6th August 2008, 08:33 PM
I know that its an old post but what did u end up doing???
Did Apple replace it?
Please say yes...
Also my power adaptor is getting freeckishly hot...
what should i do????

thanners
20th August 2008, 02:48 PM
You should now be able to get a replacement for free, regardless of your warranty situation

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe power adapter strain relief issues (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1977)

abure
20th August 2008, 03:16 PM
mine did the same thing a few months back. it was covered by warenty. Why would you not be, didnt you get APP?

what was better, is i had the old chunky version, and i got the new smaller version.

dammit, its an old post

ikonology
20th August 2008, 03:50 PM
Check this out on Engadget!

Apple replacing faulty MagSafe power adapters, too - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/apple-replacing-faulty-magsafe-power-adapters-too/)

mac_man_luke
20th August 2008, 03:53 PM
I got mine replaced under warranty no questions asked, just took 2 weeks to get it :(

mysticgreg
20th August 2008, 03:58 PM
Exactly the same thing happened about a year ago on my May '06 MacBook, took a week for a replacement under warranty - and just like the pics in this post above, the new one seems to have a longer sheath around the cable where it enters the plug.

No problems with the replacement! But I still won't leave it plugged in when i'm not at home....

krolly
20th August 2008, 04:36 PM
My cable melted last night just where it goes into the power supply

looks like it should get replaced under warranty but not good when the cable gets that hot!!

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7415/photohc7.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photohc7.jpg)

The insulation in your pic has melted just where the wire bends if you use the winding gizmos on the transformer. I wind mine up whenever I put it in my carry-bag so maybe the individual insulation around the wires inside is already wearing through. The transformer itself has always got very hot and when I enquired about it I was assured this is normal.
If the insulation can't cope with being wound, the product is not suitable for the purpose it was designed to do and within warranty or not, the law is on your side.

SyncMan
25th August 2008, 01:53 PM
Check this out on Engadget!

Apple replacing faulty MagSafe power adapters, too - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/apple-replacing-faulty-magsafe-power-adapters-too/)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1977

Erwin
25th August 2008, 01:56 PM
The insulation in your pic has melted just where the wire bends if you use the winding gizmos on the transformer. I wind mine up whenever I put it in my carry-bag so maybe the individual insulation around the wires inside is already wearing through. The transformer itself has always got very hot and when I enquired about it I was assured this is normal.
If the insulation can't cope with being wound, the product is not suitable for the purpose it was designed to do and within warranty or not, the law is on your side.

Same thing happened to me - I got it replaced under AppleCare for free.

yitzyf
25th August 2008, 02:18 PM
Same thing happened here. Was overseas at the time, and Apple's distributors where I was were just changing to a different company, so was a complete disaster trying to get the damn thing. They wanted to charge me shipping....which I blatantly refused to do, especially after I already had to pay to ship the melted one to them. Eventually one of their employees delivered it to me. I was without laptop for several weeks.