PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto storing portrait oriented images as "originals"

snark
12th January 2008, 10:24 AM
Is it just me and/or my camera, or is this a common thing in iPhoto? I'm running iPhoto 5, and my camera is a Canon Ixus 850 IS.

When I take portrait oriented photos, iPhoto stores them twice: once in portrait mode (eg. 1536 x 2048 pixel) in the date folder; and again in landscape mode (eg. 2048 x 1536 pixels) in a subfolder of the date folder called 'originals'.

I don't have a lot of photos, so the disk space used is not a big issue, but it's the principal of the matter. Why aren't they stored just once, in the format that they were taken in? ie. portrait.

iPhoto is OK for the price (free), but I'm beginning to tire of it's limitations.

AusMac
12th January 2008, 10:41 AM
I find iPhoto has genuine uses but generally is more cumbersome than Lightroom. However one can still find reasons to keep iPhoto.

Apple in its great wisdom have made iTunes, iPhoto etc., to create multiple files (just like Windows). However one may visit Apple's help pages and glean information on how to streamline such functions.

snark
17th January 2008, 11:46 AM
Ars Technica is reporting (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/16/google-bringing-picasa-to-the-mac-later-this-year) that Google will be bringing Picasa to the Mac sometime this year.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it will compare to both the existing Windows version and to iPhoto.

Maybe I won't have to fork out for Photoshop Elements 6 after all....