PDA

View Full Version : Mail and Deleting error

FineWine
11th January 2008, 10:57 AM
The Error message:
“A Novel Way to Improve Outcomes in Arthroplasty, and Save Money” could not be moved to the mailbox “Deleted Messages — ******@ihug.com.au”

The destination mailbox “Deleted Messages — ******@ihug.com.au” does not allow messages to be moved to it.
----------------

When Trash is Ticked in Mailbox Behaviours the following appears in the Mail side bar:

MAILBOXES
Trash
On My Mac
******@ihug.com.au

In this situation when you delete messages above error comes up.

When Trash is Unticked in Mailbox Behaviours the following appears in the Mail side bar:

MAILBOXES
Trash

ON MY MAC
Deleted Messages

Now when you delete the messages they just disappear

So, they either do not delete and the above error message comes or they do delete but do not appear in the any of the trash bins.

Any ideas folks?

Alec Fraser
11th January 2008, 11:49 AM
How's your mailbox setup? Is it IMAP or POP3?

FineWine
11th January 2008, 11:53 AM
How's your mailbox setup? Is it IMAP or POP3?

POP3

EDIT: this is on a friends machine using Leopard 10.5.1

Alec Fraser
11th January 2008, 12:03 PM
Hmmm...that's weird. Is there any chance that they can recreate the account using IMAP? Does the mail server support that?

If not, I'd try removing and recreating the account regardless.

Huy
11th January 2008, 12:12 PM
Sounds like IMAP to me with the synchronisation. I could be wrong.

Since it is an ISP mail account, can you log into the web interface and try to see what is happening? There should be Inbox/Sent/Deleted Message folders there.

FineWine
11th January 2008, 12:13 PM
Hmmm...that's weird. Is there any chance that they can recreate the account using IMAP? Does the mail server support that?

If not, I'd try removing and recreating the account regardless.

I do not believe ihug does imap accounts.

I did not delete and recreate the account as this persons email filing, if done at all, is not the best to say the least. I did how ever delete the mail.plist with no effect.

I must point out that this mail.app account was created then mail brought in from an old PC Thunderbird account. I then did do a Rebuild. All was working as it should at this point. The errors have only just recently appeared.

FineWine
11th January 2008, 03:06 PM
After cruising the Apple Support Discussions I believe I may have the answer to my problem.

First thing i would suggest you do is go to home folder/library/mail and in that mail folder locate your pop account folder which should be named as such POP-youremailaddress, and look for the deleted messages mailbox, control click and get info, who is listed as having permissions, change to read/write

My friend will have to wait a fortnight though till I can get over there to see if this is the fix.

FineWine
2nd September 2009, 04:39 PM
As you can see my original post was January 2008. Well today I finally managed to fix this problem on my friends machine. It has been bugging me for so long. That is just hit the Red Delete Button icon and the deleted message will now go to your Mails Trash as opposed to the previously mentioned method.

The fix that worked was:

In Mail right click on your account and select Get Account Info, click on the Mailbox Behaviors Tab and untick the box next to Trash. Do this for all your accounts. Close Account Info, the Trash can/s will disappear from the left column. Quit mail.

Now goto: ~/Library/Mail/ Mailboxes

Move the file Deleted Messages.mbox to your desktop

Next goto ~/Library/Mail/POP- *******@****** (your mail account)

Move the file Deleted Messages.mbox to your desktop

Do the same with all your POP and IMAP accounts.

Now fire up Mail and right click on your account and select Get Account Info, click on the Mailbox Behaviors Tab and tick the box next to Trash. Do this for all your accounts. Close Account Info. The Trash can/s will now reappear in the left column.

The above files which you moved to your desktop should have been automatically recreated. Therefore the files you moved to your Desktop can now be moved to the System Trash.

The Red Delete function should now work as designed.