PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock? A waste of time? What is it?

designers_hub
8th March 2005, 10:52 PM
Ou tof all mac applications I find Sherlock the most confusing. WHat is it exactly? Its like a web broswer but only has like 5 sites LOL.

What are channels? How do you add more? How do you find more?

One thing i do like is the dictionary, ebay and translation tool.

BUT why is it in the dictionary that i never get any thesaurus alternatives? Why is it only ebay.com? I want ebay.com.au.

does nayone here intensively use it?

hawker
8th March 2005, 10:55 PM
Sherlock is like the best search in the world... well for mac anyway. but its sorta dead now :)

Phillip
8th March 2005, 11:08 PM
Sherlock 1 & 2 was searching on the net and on your computer while Sherlock 3 was about internet services. You could use Sherlock to say, find a picture in google, use dictionaries online, book a flight, use Yellow Pages... ect, all without using a web browser. Channels is like plugins for Sherlock that allow you do extra things.

You can totally forget Sherlock now. Dashboard in Tiger will kick its butt for good.

hawker
8th March 2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Mar 8 2005, 11:08 PM
You can totally forget Sherlock now. Dashboard in Tiger will kick its butt for good.
I was gonna say that too Phillip :P

hmm tiger :)

kit
9th March 2005, 06:22 AM
Sherlock 1 was THE BIG FEATURE in OS 8.6.

It replaced the default Mac "Find" utility, was a bit like Quicktime 4 in interface (brushed metal), and had a number of channels.

You'd click a channel name (like... web search) and type in a search string, and be greeted with a list of results from all the sites within that channel.

It also had one channel which represented your hard disk.

Sherlock 2 built on 1. Added speed and what not.

Then Watson (http://www.karelia.com/watson/) was released. Watson is, as you'll find out, what Sherlock 3 is trying to be - only, you know, done properly.

Apple was obviously very impressed with what Karelia had accomplished with Watson - built as a tool to be used simultaneously with Sherlock. Sherlock's sidekick (hence the name).

Buuut, that's when things got ugly. Apple figured that it would be the first (and only) OS to market with a strong content-searching program integrated.

It ripped off Watson as best it could, and just HOPED that people would write good channels for it. With Watson's huge user base, it just didn't happen. So instead of seeing EVERYWHERE "Get the Sherlock channel", they saw nothing :P. Watson relies on the development of channels by its users, which works much more effectively.

And as for Dashboard killing it - well it has the potential, but I don't think that's how it's marketed.

I think it'll be comical when the 10.5 or .6 has some form of web-integration in Spotlight, eventually broken up into logical segments (or "channels" if you will :P) to make the results easier to traverse. I think we really WILL see a revival in this sort of mentality (Watson really is VERY useful. Especially if you live in the US where most of its channels are based).

LCGuy
9th March 2005, 07:06 AM
I used to use it a real lot, back in like, 1999 - 2001. I'd still use it today if it wasn't for Google, but Google is just so much better.

Currawong
9th March 2005, 07:15 AM
Sherlock was actually introduced in Mac OS 8.5.

Crambo
9th March 2005, 07:40 AM
I enjoy using the quick and easily accessible Systran translator.

Systran is my whore.
Systran meu whore.

Phillip
9th March 2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by kit@Mar 9 2005, 07:22 AM
And as for Dashboard killing it - well it has the potential, but I don't think that's how it's marketed.

I think it'll be comical when the 10.5 or .6 has some form of web-integration in Spotlight, eventually broken up into logical segments (or "channels" if you will :P) to make the results easier to traverse. I think we really WILL see a revival in this sort of mentality (Watson really is VERY useful. Especially if you live in the US where most of its channels are based).
Dashboard has a dictionary. A yellow Pages. Weather. Translation. Stocktracker. eBay Watch list. And now, with the new widgets like SMS from you desktop and access to Wikipedia - Dashboard seems like it could do everything Sherlock but more conveniently.

kit
9th March 2005, 04:14 PM
I see Dashboard as more of an information service really, from what I've seen. More of a look for most updated info.

There ARE search widgets, but I don't think I'd see myself using them.

Hard to say. Sherlock 3 was the biggest waste in all of OS X.

macintoshrules
9th March 2005, 04:53 PM
I have had OS 10.3 since it first came out and only touched Sherlock once...