PDA

View Full Version : I'm too scared to turn it ON!

applecollector
8th March 2005, 07:32 PM
Once again my ibook clamshell has run into troubble, today i took it to school, and i turned it on and then after a while it just turned off so i thought it must be the Battery, so i pluged it all up, Then once again after a while it turned off, so i turned it back on then i started to smell this burning plastic smell i didn't now where it was coming from, remember i was in a computer lab with 40 other computers around me, then it suddenly shut down!
the smell got a little stronger so i quickly pulled the plug out of my computer, Then i pluged it back in after 2mins and turned it on and all i got was this werid crackling sound coming from the speaker!
So i got off my chair pulled all of the plugs out of the wall and compuer and tried to start it up by battery power, the same thing happened!
So i started to think about what the problem might be, so i leaned forward and opened the keyboard area and the smell that came out from their was really bad, it smelt like the hole computer was on fire! So i left it off for an hour and at lunch i went to turn it on and it started up by battery power, But i was and still am scared to put it on to main power! So what should i do and is it safe to use!

Oh yea a couple more things i should say the power adapter i used was from another ibook which does NOT have grounding!
and it smelt like the origin of the smell came some where near the mouse area, but the middle of the keyboard smelt the most! and i couldn't see anything burnt execpt the power adapter i used looked a bit burent in side the yo yo adapter and the end on the cable which goes into the computer looked a bit fryed, i didn't really know which topic heading i should put this under so if i put it under the wrong heading i'm VERY SORRY!
I think i should stop writing now PLEASE HELP ME!
Thankyou :D :thumbup:

darknight84
8th March 2005, 07:40 PM
when something like that happens dont you think you should bring it in to an applecentre and have them check it out?

applecollector
8th March 2005, 07:44 PM
Well look how much would applecentre charge?

rocketxr
8th March 2005, 07:44 PM
I think I know the problem....
You really want a new PowerBook but could not bring yourself to get rid of the iBook, so you electrocuted it!!! :P

applecollector
8th March 2005, 07:49 PM
lol

trinidad
8th March 2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by rocketxr@Mar 8 2005, 07:44 PM
I think I know the problem....
You really want a new PowerBook but could not bring yourself to get rid of the iBook, so you electrocuted it!!! :P
Murder!! :P

But i agree with darknight..it doesn't really seem like you can do much but hand it to the apple center people if you've somehow fried the ibook's innards.

Currawong
8th March 2005, 09:16 PM
Don't forget that there is a "Help" forum :)

Moving this one there.

geektechnu
8th March 2005, 10:14 PM
Dude - that iBook sounds like its dead :(
As soon as you get smoke, something has died - you really shouldn't try to power it up again.

I remember once in high school, some friends and I were flicking the power swith on a mac classic back and forth real fast (trying to force a crash on boot). Next thing we saw was smoke pouring out the back of the case.

Smelled like popcorn! Probably highly toxic too :D

Mmm... deadly popcorn...

napes
8th March 2005, 11:36 PM
Burning smells are a pretty bad sign. I was using a PC box at a previous workplace then it started playing up one morning just like your machine - starting up, then shutting down. This happened a couple of times and since it was a windows box I thought it was nothing too unusual ;) But then came the smell, and I turned it off and unplugged it straight away. The tech guy came over, plugged it back in and fired it up.... bzzz bzz bzzzzzzz and smoke galore. Turned out being the power supply and it took out EVERYTHING - drives, graphics card, and even the keyboard!!! I kid you not. Lost a bunch of work that I'd been a bit slack backing up and a few days getting a new machine reinstalled etc etc etc

Based on my above experience.... I wouldn't plug it back into mains. Or turn it on. Ever again... or at least until you've taken the drive out and backed it up.

applecollector
12th March 2005, 08:31 AM
Well the suspence was killing me so i turned it on, and believe it or not i worked like new and yesterday i was on it all day (well my aim was to get it to heat up) but no smoke or smell came from it.
So what i think happened was that since the adapter didn't have grounding some high voltage went throught my adapter melted the adapter then went into my computer and blew some sort of fuse, and that was the casuse of the smell.
What do you think?

onionhead
12th March 2005, 09:39 AM
As every one knows, computer are all smoke and mirrors. If you let the smoke out, they cease to function.

If I owned anything that was important, your first post seemed to imply that, and it was making *all* the Wrong Noises and Bad Smells, then I would get it checked out as soon as I could.

applecollector
12th March 2005, 09:55 AM
OK i will do that!

p996911turbo
12th March 2005, 09:11 PM
Towards the beginning of the year I was given a Mr. T and external HD that had been lying around in a garage for years. I booted it up and it lasted about 15 min before the screen went black and smoke started wafting up through the vents. I wouldn't describe the smell as popcorn but not far off. I haven't booted it up since.

I might plug it into one of the garage power points (they're the only power points with an RCD on them in this house) and boot it up one day but I don't really feel like it - too toxic.

Seems a pity to lose a Mr. T but oh well.

LCGuy
13th March 2005, 10:55 AM
Whats a Mr. T?

applecollector
13th March 2005, 11:20 AM
I hasd the same thing happen to me, i bought 2 apple II Computers and a hole bunch of software and an Original Apple II Monitor (One of the green ones) anyway it worked for like 10 mins the blew the screen just went black and then this milky white smoke started to come out, and that too smelt like popcorn but anyway i haven't turned it on since i might consider doing that! But this was on the day that i recieved the computers so i told the guy what happened and to say sorry he sent over some extra Apple II Software! So the guy was real nice. :)
I believe that the Mr. T was a computer, i have heard about them but i don't really know what it is, as for my ibook i think it's ok it's currently on and networked to my emac! i hope it lives!

p996911turbo
13th March 2005, 08:48 PM
The Mr. T was the Mac Plus