PDA

View Full Version : mail and photo questions

Diluded
8th January 2008, 09:59 AM
Hi I have a friend who needs to nuke her mac, problem is we cant loose her email and photo library
Now we did try to do a time machine etc and all that did was bring back the issues also tried archive and install ... no luck again
so step by step please how can i get a nice new shiny install with her email and mailboxes in and also her photo library.
PS mailbox is over 2 gigs worth and photos 52 gig... see my problem
We have a shiny new mac as well so can we transfer...i tried that but nothing showed up in the end... just lost all the space (lots of macs here all leapard too)

spargo
8th January 2008, 10:07 AM
If you have an external drive, simply copy the iPhoto Library folder over to the drive, and copy over the relevant files for the users Mail mailboxes..

More information on how to backup the mailboxes can be had by searching this forum, or with a Google which will probably find the Apple website help section.

See here:

Mailbox backup (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=backup+Mail.app+mailboxes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

Currawong
8th January 2008, 10:27 AM
If you re-installed Mac OS X using an Archive Install that preserves users, or a clean install then a migration of a user and you still have problems, then it means that the problems reside in settings or files inside the user account.

Maybe you need to take a step back and tell us why you are trying to do what you are doing in the first place?

Diluded
8th January 2008, 03:28 PM
new mac mmm nice and speedy old mac going to kids :-) thats why