PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] no results in spotlight and finder searches

oak
7th January 2008, 08:45 AM
im running a ibook g4 and recently upgraded to tiger.
decided to use the spotight feature and i get no results.
for example ill type in a name of a folder i have on my desktop but nothing:confused:
am i doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the software?!:(

Squozen
7th January 2008, 08:51 AM
Open Terminal and type:

sudo mdutil -E -i on /

This will erase the Spotlight index and recreate it, and will also make sure that indexing is enabled. Expect it to take a while to build the index, anything from 5-10 mins on a small, clean drive to an hour or more on a large full drive.

iThinkMac
7th January 2008, 08:53 AM
Go "option + apple key + spacebar" to open spotlight in another window. Down the right hand side, just make sure that it's searching in Macintosh HD or where ever the file your looking for is. Also, try something you KNOW is on there....

EDIT: Try Squozen's idea first - his reply wasn't there when I hit the "reply" button.

LarryH
7th January 2008, 09:40 AM
System Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy

See if there is anything that shouldn't be there.

oak
7th January 2008, 06:17 PM
ok so i have tried the option of going into terminal and doing as stated above but it didnt seem to do anything aside from erasing spotlight index.
so, ive tried to re-install tigert this time choosing archive and install.
still the same problem, plus this time, i thought that when you choose archive and install, i should have a new folder on my desktop with my previous settings etc, which i don't seem to have:confused::confused:
this whole situation is becoming fairly frustrating.
should i backup my important data and then do a erase and install?! will doing a erease and install be a sure way of working around these problems?!:confused::confused:

rickyd
7th January 2008, 06:27 PM
should i backup my important data and then do a erase and install?! will doing a erease and install be a sure way of working around these problems?!:confused::confused:

Definitely.

iThinkMac
7th January 2008, 09:06 PM
As per you comment about the backup folder you can't find. It doesn't normally come up on the desktop. It will be inside Macintosh HD from memory, or maybe under your user folder.

oak
7th January 2008, 10:07 PM
thanks for the clearing that up about the backup folder.
also noticed my iphoto has disappeared!:mad:
will erase and install tomorrow and hopefully i should be back on track. i guess in the long run it will be better to be running off a as new system after the erase and install compared to the upgrade:o

oak
8th January 2008, 04:02 PM
just wondering......
If I backup my web browser to an external drive before i erase and install, and once the install is complete, transfer back my web browser to my ibook, will this enable me use the internet without having to set up the IP address and other settings for my webbrowser, and same thing for my mail account:confused:

Currawong
8th January 2008, 08:10 PM
Your web browser, or rather the program itself, doesn't have the settings for the network. If you erase-install a machine, you'll have to set up the network again. You could always take some screen shots of the network settings before you do the erase.

oak
9th January 2008, 12:15 AM
help!!!
:eek::(:confused:
i thought i was doing the correct thing by backing up but i guess i dont know what im doing but! i need help!:eek:

As i planned on doing an erase and install to upgrade to tiger, i figured i would backup my firefox icon in my dock, so as to preserve my bookmarks by holding command and dragging the icon to my external drive......obviously im doing the wrong thing cause here i am, after doing the erase and install, and retriving data from my back up, opening firefox and all my bookmarks are no where in sight!!!

is there any way i can get my bookmarks back?!?!?!

i did the same thing with my address book, as well as my mail!!!

:eek::(:eek:

silverdreamer
9th January 2008, 12:31 AM
Do you have a .mac account? I'm assuming no.

oak
9th January 2008, 12:37 AM
i probably did a few years back but i never used it and is probably explired:(

silverdreamer
9th January 2008, 12:41 AM
Yes it would have. If you had one now your problems would be solved. All tat data is synchronised with your .mac account, and can be retrieved.

You will have to wait for some tech guru type smartbum to crawl out of bed in the morning and help you.:p Good luck.

ps: if you can remember your .mac e-mail address, that will still work as your ichat ID. So you can log into ichat

Kuma
9th January 2008, 01:06 AM
Ohh I have a bad feeling about this....

SD is right a .mac account would have made all this easy as... (well except for firefox)... all that data you have lost is synced to .mac - but you don't want to know that now...

I think the only way to recover is some sort of data recovery program.. but on this I am no expert... I am afraid though that even the gurus in the morning arent going to be able to help much... (depends how you did the install).

kim jong il
9th January 2008, 01:10 AM
What form did your backup take on your external drive? Do you still have a complete copy of your old user directory? I ask because, as far as I'm aware, FireFox stores all its settings/preferences and bookmarks in the User/Library/Application Support/Firefox folder. You should have backed this one up.

cosmichobo
9th January 2008, 01:12 AM
If the worst thing you have lost is bookmarks... then you can't be too upset really...

I know it's a huge pain, but google should help you track down most things again...

Used to lose my Netscape bookmarks on a very regular basis before migrating to Firefox... I used to make a backup copy of the bookmarks file regularly, that itself could be accessed as a html page, so could just scroll through to the link you wanted... not sure how you'd do that with Firefox/OS X...

oak
9th January 2008, 01:20 AM
i dont think i have my user directory backed up:(
as for my firefox, what i backed up was the firefox icon from the dock and the disk image for firefox.
i have no idea do i?...........
and what about my email?! any chance i may somehow be able to get that back?

do you think if i take it to nextbyte they can do something?!:confused:

all this because the stupid upgrade didnt work, because spotlight wasnt working!
and then i thought maybe archive and install would work, but that didnt make a difference, and then now this!!!......im tired!!!

silverdreamer
9th January 2008, 01:31 AM
all this because the stupid upgrade didnt work, because spotlight wasnt working!
and then i thought maybe archive and install would work, but that didnt make a difference, and then now this!!!......im tired!!!

Would have been a lot easier to ask the question, "Spotlights not working, any suggestions?"... but then that doesn't help either does it. I would go to bed and call NextByte in the mornng and talk to them. Perhaps call applecare first.

Good luck dude.:o

And Goodnight.

oak
9th January 2008, 01:39 AM
actually i did post about spotlight, but unfortunately it didnt really help much.

kim jong il
9th January 2008, 01:42 AM
i dont think i have my user directory backed up:(
as for my firefox, what i backed up was the firefox icon from the dock and the disk image for firefox.
i have no idea do i?...........
and what about my email?! any chance i may somehow be able to get that back?

do you think if i take it to nextbyte they can do something?!:confused:

All those things you have lost are contained in your user directory. If you did not have a copy of that and you have selected "Erase and Install" then it's gone. :(

Please don't take this the wrong way, but next time ask the critical questions first.

halledise
9th January 2008, 04:57 AM
help!!!
:eek::(:confused:
i thought i was doing the correct thing by backing up but i guess i dont know what im doing but! i need help!:eek:

As i planned on doing an erase and install to upgrade to tiger, i figured i would backup my firefox icon in my dock, so as to preserve my bookmarks by holding command and dragging the icon to my external drive......obviously im doing the wrong thing cause here i am, after doing the erase and install, and retriving data from my back up, opening firefox and all my bookmarks are no where in sight!!!

is there any way i can get my bookmarks back?!?!?!

i did the same thing with my address book, as well as my mail!!!

:eek::(:eek:

in your backup - did you save your library and preferences folder?
as in home/library/preferences.

if so, then all your bookmarks and mail messages and setting can be found therein and it's simply a matter of opening your browser and mail client and doing a file/import.

actually to save your entire user/library folder (minus the caches folder which complains about being durned to a dvd for example) is essential for future recovery.

(also helps to do a file/export/address book archive)

if you didn't save the above, then I'm afraid you are, in a word, screwed

oak
9th January 2008, 08:47 AM
chyt im screwed:o
but lesson well learned i guess.

fiark
9th January 2008, 09:23 AM
Do you have an ipod that has your address book contacts in it?

If you do at least you will be able to save your contacts, although I am pretty sure you will need to manually add them back in.

Currawong
9th January 2008, 10:15 AM
Merged both your threads - it's really hard to keep track of a person's computer problems if there are multiple threads.

Pity you didn't read my last post where I told you that a program's settings are not inside the program.

oak
9th January 2008, 11:20 AM
Merged both your threads - it's really hard to keep track of a person's computer problems if there are multiple threads.

Pity you didn't read my last post where I told you that a program's settings are not inside the program.

Ok so now I know what you meant:o
Im learning!
I called Next Byte but was told I wouldnt have much luck even with their recovery system...is that true?

I noticed that your living in Fukuoka?
Im Japanese but Ive never been there. Hope ur enjoying your time there:)