PDA

View Full Version : Moving Itunes from PC to Apple

duz10s
6th January 2008, 08:19 PM
Hi,

I am a new apple user and need to move all my Itunes songs on my PC to my Apple, are these in a different format as i remember correctly my Ipod is setup for PC so I'm gathering there may be trick to moving songs across onto my new Mac.

Any help would be great, both computers are laptops.

snark
6th January 2008, 08:25 PM
Has any of the music been purchased from the iTunes store, or are they all ripped from CD (or downloaded without any DRM)?

If the former, it might be complicated.

If the latter, the easiest thing to do would be to network the PC and Mac, copy the songs across, then add them all to iTunes on Mac. Then you can reformat your iPod for Mac, and synch it with iTunes on Mac.

I'm sure there are other "smarter" ways to do this, but that's what I would do.

duz10s
6th January 2008, 08:49 PM
yer all are either ripped or cd's i have put into Itunes

thought that might be way to do it

spilla
6th January 2008, 09:06 PM
Just copy your "iTunes" folder from within "My Music" on your PC into the "Music" folder within your user folder on your Mac.

Then to open the library, hold down option as you click on the iTunes icon in the dock. Click on "Choose Library...", and find the library within the 'iTunes' folder in the music folder. (It should be a .itl file)

NewbieMacUser
17th February 2009, 11:34 PM
I am having a quandary since I have my PC Itune files on a USB thumb drive I bought for my pc laptop to store backup files. Now I have a Macbook Pro and I want to transfer them from the USB drive to the Macbook My music folder
How do I do this safely
I think I caused a hardware failure when I tried to copy those files from the thumb drive earlier. I ended getting a New Mac but was wondering if it will be worth the trouble to transfer these files or just start over with new files?

thanks

matthewk
17th February 2009, 11:41 PM
I am having a quandary since I have my PC Itune files on a USB thumb drive I bought for my pc laptop to store backup files. Now I have a Macbook Pro and I want to transfer them from the USB drive to the Macbook My music folder
How do I do this safely
I think I caused a hardware failure when I tried to copy those files from the thumb drive earlier. I ended getting a New Mac but was wondering if it will be worth the trouble to transfer these files or just start over with new files?

thanks

Seeing as you are from Cleaveland, OH I'd recommend you go to the Legacy Village Apple store: Apple Retail Store - Legacy Village (http://www.apple.com/retail/legacyvillage/)

Book a time to see the Geniuses and they will happily move everything over for you.

NewbieMacUser
17th February 2009, 11:51 PM
Seeing as you are from Cleaveland, OH I'd recommend you go to the Legacy Village Apple store: Apple Retail Store - Legacy Village (http://www.apple.com/retail/legacyvillage/)

Book a time to see the Geniuses and they will happily move everything over for you.

Well thank u for your advice but due to being unemployed I cannot use that service I am looking for a easier and a cheaper way to do this. Any suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks again
Kirk

DeKa
18th February 2009, 04:50 PM
Well thank u for your advice but due to being unemployed I cannot use that service I am looking for a easier and a cheaper way to do this.

The Genius Bar will do it for free...

jamferma
18th February 2009, 05:22 PM
Just copy your "iTunes" folder from within "My Music" on your PC into the "Music" folder within your user folder on your Mac.

Then to open the library, hold down option as you click on the iTunes icon in the dock. Click on "Choose Library...", and find the library within the 'iTunes' folder in the music folder. (It should be a .itl file)

this is all you have to do... i have done it a heap of times when switching friends over... from memory it was under you username my music itunes or something like that... you just have to copy into music on ur mac and add to itunes..... if you need to go genius for this come on :P

chrome
18th February 2009, 05:29 PM
The music files themselves are obviously cross platform. Things like the xml files that describe your library are in theory also cross platform but they have file paths in there that refer to your full absolute path to your files, so it's likely they won't work.

If you don't mind losing all of the settings (playlists, play counts etc) then just copy the music files themselves across, and it should just work fine. You will need to authorize your iTunes account for any protected AAC music you have.

mitty
18th February 2009, 07:30 PM
I did this when I switched from PC to Mac last year.

This all assumes your existing PC music library is all under the same folder/file structure. If not, you need to consolidate your library first.

You then have to copy your itunes music library across, you can put it anywhere but mostly it would go in \users\username\music\itunes music .

Then go and open up the itunes music folder, and open up the itunes music library.xml file.

You need to do a find and replace, for instance you would replace "c:\documents and settings\yourname\documents\music" with "file://localhost/Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music".

Of course make a backup for your xml file first before attempting anything! It took me a couple of goes to get it right, but it did work.

Doing it this way you keep all your playlists, playcounts, all that stuff. You only need to authorize the mac on itunes and then it will have full access to all your purchased music (remember to de-authorize the PC before selling it to some schmo). Also doing it this way you won't need to resync any ipods/iphones, they'll sync like they always did with the PC.

This is the quick and nasty version of this guide, I should probably do a better one with screen grabs or something.

Of course the other completely foolproof way of doing it is to backup your entire library to DVD, and then reimport onto the Mac, but if you have a big library this can be a pain.

Hopefully Apple will introduce some way to transfer it over a network, or using a USB drive, that is more foolproof than the find and replace method!

Beau
18th February 2009, 09:52 PM
You're doing it wrong ;p

If you have enough blank CDs/DVDs for the content in your library, simply go;

File > Library > Back Up to Disc.

When it's finished burning, stick disc 1 in the machine you want to copy the content to. If you have iTunes open, it should automagically detect the disc and offer to import/restore from the content on the disc! :)

NewbieMacUser
18th February 2009, 11:28 PM
Hello all
Maybe I did not emphasize this -I have all of my music backed up on a USB drive and I am scared that it will cause problems with my hardware on the Mac. I hooked up my Thumb drive of 4 gb capacity but the drive is made by a company name Matisunichi and I bought it on sale
I just bought this Mac and had a hardware problem which caused them to replace my computer after I did this -so If there is another way to do instead of taking it in . I am without transportaion to take it in -I dont live close by Apple Store to take my laptop in for that so if I can do this at home then I will . Any suggestions