PDA

View Full Version : Guitar > Amp > Garage Band 2 Help

jessica
8th March 2005, 12:56 PM
I have a PR241 Fender Frontman Amp. It says it has 38W on the back 120v~60Hz. I have connected a Fender Strat to my PowerBook G4 1.67GHz via a iStudio Link Instrument cable by Monster. I want to know if I will blow something on the PowerBook if I plug my guitar cable from my guitar to my amp and then the monster cable from the amp to the PowerBook and record my tracks in Garage Band that way. I am not concerned with sound quality or anything as I can really fix that, but I cannot fix the PowerBook if I blow something inside of it because I was stupid.

Does anyone have any feedback. By the way, I say the amp has 38W but the box said something like 5 or 15 when I bought it years ago. It is a practice amp, not a full or even half stack.

pipsqeek
8th March 2005, 01:32 PM
The Fender Frontman amps come in a large range.

Frontman
Frontman 15 Reverb
Frontman 15B Bass Combo
Frontman 15B II Combo
Frontman 15G
Frontman 20B Combo
Frontman 25R
Frontman 25R Series II Combo
Frontman 60B 112 Combo
Frontman II 15R Combo
Frontman Reverb

The 38 Watts printed on the back is the amount of power (electricity) it is consuming while being turned on, at 120V AC, 60Hz.

Lets assume your amp is the Frontman 15G. This does not have a "Line out" jack, so the only way to connect the amp to your computer and play through Garage Band would be with the headphone jack. Being unaware of what sort of gain the headphone jack has, I'd re very reluctant to try connecting that to your machine.

Use your normal lead that you connect the guitar to the amp with, go to Jaycar Electronics or Dick Smtih, and get a $1.50 6.5mm Mono to 3.5mm mono adpator, and plug the guitar straight into the Powerbook. Then just use GB to play with clean and dirty sounds. And if GB isn't good enough, you can use Guitar Rig (or something) to play the guitar through. With hundreds of guitar and amp simulations.

Good luck.

pipsqeek

Jimbo
8th March 2005, 02:13 PM
just so you know, the line out or headphone out on guitar amps, will make you cry, ie they are terrible...

jessica
8th March 2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks I guess to get better amplification I would need to pick up something like A Behringer V-amp 2 and an iMic.

pipsqeek
8th March 2005, 05:54 PM
Jimbo, unless the amp is high qual. My Peavy Bass amp has great loop connections that I use to gig with. Works a charm.

The iMic is not really suitable for that sort of music either. Its great for audio, as the product is made for. But not particularly for the transients through music that a guitar makes.

For real music connectivity, you want to get an Edirol Firewire USB audio device.

I was previously just making suggestions of what you could do with your current situation.

pipsqeek

Quamen
8th March 2005, 09:15 PM
yea you don't really want to go with the guitar straight into powerbook via cable adaptor method. The recordings are just too quiet. If you're serious then get yourself something from edirol or an Mbox or some similar firewire/usb audio adaptor. You'll be much happier.

jessica
9th March 2005, 12:34 AM
The Behringer V-AMP® 2 was recommended to me but that requires the iMic.
I am looking for an affordable solution to recording tracks with little to no latency.

Quamen
9th March 2005, 07:11 AM
since you're talking about audio gear here you had better start defining a price range. "Affordable" could be anything

jessica
9th March 2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Quamen@Mar 9 2005, 07:11 AM
since you're talking about audio gear here you had better start defining a price range. "Affordable" could be anything
sub $200 USD.
For now. I am not opposed to Sub $200 ideas (but I'd like a range $50-$200) and then the good old...."when you're ready to upgrade" ideas.

daz
10th March 2005, 03:18 PM
Jessica,
With a behringer v-amp, you'd simply plug a instrument cable into the behringer v-amp, then plug the iStudiolink cable into the output of th v-amp and into the powerbook. Easy.
I have a bass v-amp for sale if you are interested. It has guitar, bass and keyboard amp simulations.

Good luck!

jessica
10th March 2005, 04:42 PM
Hey Daz, how much?
Got pics? How old is it? Can I hear a sample from it?

Squozen
11th March 2005, 08:21 AM
I use a Behringer MIC100 tube preamp straight into my PowerBook - they retail for $100 Australian and sound fine to my ears.