PDA

View Full Version : BlackBooks instead of WhiteBooks in "Network"?

iPirate
4th January 2008, 01:09 PM
There are two Black MacBooks on my home network, but in the "Network" folder of my Mac, when browsing via coverflow, I see that there are supposedly two White MacBooks.

I checked System/Library/CoreServices/Coretypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ and found "com.apple.macbook-black.icns" but only the white one is being shown on my network.

How do I configure either my MBP to see them as black, or the BlackBooks to say they are black?

Thanks in advance

iPirate
5th January 2008, 03:22 PM
Any (bump) knowledgable people out there?

andrew.wilson
5th January 2008, 03:46 PM
Have you tried copying the blackbook icon from that resources folder and using the get info method on the network icon to paste the black icon over the white one?

LarryH
5th January 2008, 03:46 PM
You could try replacing the white macbook's icon in the system folders with an icon from InterfaceLIFT.

Just an idea.

iPirate
5th January 2008, 03:55 PM
You could try replacing the white macbook's icon in the system folders with an icon from InterfaceLIFT.

If it were just that I wouldn't be slightly annoyed at Apple. The fact is that the OS already has the icons for both, but then can't differentiate between different coloured MacBooks when they are on the network. Heck, on the BlackBooks themselves, they think that they themselves are white (Like an identity crisis in computational terms).

Have you tried copying the blackbook icon from that resources folder and using the get info method on the network icon to paste the black icon over the white one?

Unfortunately that doesn't work, both at my end and on the other Mac concerned (changing it's icon so at least it thinks it's black too).

Oh well, it looks like I'll have to do a bit more rummaging around in the System Folder (which I'm sure members such as Currawong would frown on). Thanks anyway.

purana
5th January 2008, 03:59 PM
I can't say if my wife's blackbook is seen as a black one, as I don't have Leopard on it. Will see what happens when we eventually have time to do it.

iPirate
5th January 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm just hoping I can find a plist where one Mac tells the other Macs what it is and what the other Macs are looking for to select which image. Meh. Might take a while.