PDA

View Full Version : >15 hrs to create Disk Image - Carbon Copy Cloner

grfxninja
3rd January 2008, 11:47 AM
Hi All,
I am cloning my MBP hard drive to a disk image on an external drive via gigabit ethernet, and so far it has taken over 15hrs to complete.
Does this seem normal? It is around 80Gb worth of data, and now I am worried that it is going to have some sort of problem, meaning I will have wasted my time.

I need to install Windows in Boot Camp, and when I went to partition the drive, it said it was in the wrong format, to reformat in Mac OS Journaled etc etc (which I thought it was anyway)

EDIT: System is Leopard 10.5.1

tazgtz
3rd January 2008, 12:00 PM
Over ethernet... that might be the issue. Have you tried with a Firewire connection: mine takes around 2 hours for just over 80 Gb.

grfxninja
3rd January 2008, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, don't have access to a firewire drive at the moment :(

The drive does have USB 2.0 but it didn't show up on the mac - but thats another issue… (It's a WD MyBook World edition - formatted as FAT 32)

Mutters
3rd January 2008, 12:37 PM
I was going to suggest FireWire also, but that's not an option.

But, I will say that when I've had very long cloning times in the past with Tiger, I've just quit the process and started over again - problem remedied.

Check while it's processing to see if there's something it stumbles on. That's what was happening in my situation.

mutters

EDIT: Hang on Fat32 - you'll first have to format as HFS+ surely?

milliedog
3rd January 2008, 12:47 PM
I've always found CCC to very slow. It took me about 2 hours to clone my startup disk to a firewire disk & there is only about 15GB there.

The fastest way to clone is to use the disk utility on an OS installer CD; works at about 1GB / min for me. Reading / writing data blocks is much quicker than reading / writing files.

(That said, I have had the disk utility stop mid-way with errors before.)

midnight_e
3rd January 2008, 01:12 PM
But, I will say that when I've had very long cloning times in the past with Tiger, I've just quit the process and started over again - problem remedied.

Check while it's processing to see if there's something it stumbles on. That's what was happening in my situation.

This thing with a backup application getting 'stuck' on something is something that happened to me for the first time recently.

Was using Intego's Personal Backup X3 (old version), its worked flawlessly for ages. Noticed in a recent backup that it was stuck on QuickTime.app for ages - so I quit, decided to try SuperDuper. Was able to successfully clone 10.4.10 to an ext firewire drive with SuperDuper, did take about twice as long for the clone mind you - 3 hours for 25GB.

But hearing that backup software might get stuck is new information for me, I'll retry the clone with Personal Backup. If that fails will reinstall QuickTime and see if this problems persists.
If it does I know SuperDuper will work.

grfxninja, good luck with solving your problem.
Note you can use SuperDuper in trial mode to get a full clone if you want to try that.

grfxninja
3rd January 2008, 01:26 PM
EDIT: Hang on Fat32 - you'll first have to format as HFS+ surely?

Hmmm, maybe its not FAT 32, I just assumed it was… Anyway, stuff it, I might just go pick up a firewire drive today and do it that way

grfxninja
3rd January 2008, 05:41 PM
I might just go pick up a firewire drive today and do it that way

Which is easier said than done! Nobody seems to carry Firewire drives unless I was to go for a MyBook with multiple connection types = too much money for what I want to do, so I just got a USB 2 enclosure with a 160Gb drive for now

bennyling
3rd January 2008, 07:34 PM
Oh dear. USB2?

Firewire, IMO, is much better than USB2.

You'd have been better off going with the MyBook Studio Editions, they have much more flexibility, including FW800, and eSATA if you ever purchase a PC :p

And, a FIVE-YEAR warranty! ;)

rjch
3rd January 2008, 10:07 PM
If it takes more than 30 minutes there is something wrong. I've found CCC 3.0 to be quick and faultless cloning using USB2. No need to have firewire at all. Go to the CCC forum and you'll get a pleasant savaging from Andreas and Baltwo (?). Remember to praise them if they fix your problem.

astr0b0y
3rd January 2008, 11:06 PM
Why are you creating a disk image? That would take three times as long as a straight clone.