PDA

View Full Version : Mail.app Problem

Silver
2nd January 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm trying to archive my e-mail from 2007. I've moved most of the mail into a special 'On My Mac' mailbox, because I expect to still need a lot of it for the next few months at least.

However, I've run into a strange problem. Of the 1000+ e-mails I'm attempting to move, about 40 will not be moved. They all appear as empty if they are opened in Mail.app, but the subject and address entries are all correct. What's strange is that I can use Spotlight to locate the particular messages and it displays correctly in Mail if opened through Spotlight. The "Show in Mailbox" link does not appear to work. Any ideas on what happened to this handful of messages?

How can I fix it?

Silver
2nd January 2008, 10:27 PM
Never mind, I worked it out. Turns out the messages had somehow been deleted. I was able to restore them all from a backup, but I have no idea how they were deleted.

Actually, I have a little idea. When I installed one of the Leopard security updates, it borked my hard disk, and I had to use Disk Warrior to recover. Disk Warrior located a bunch of orphaned files, mostly e-mails as part of the process. I hadn't put 2 & 2 together until just now.