PDA

View Full Version : appleshop deals

Shillings
2nd January 2008, 12:32 PM
Hey there,

I am making the swap from windows to mac for all the obvious reasons. But the one reason why I have yet to do so is regarding possible freebies. I was told that if I wait for the right time in January, the apple shop would entice new students by offering free Ipods with thier macs or something similar ( I am getting a macbook). Is this a likely prediction by your experiences?

Should I wait longer or just go ahead and get one?

Please don't think I am greedy (although I'm a little impatient). I know the macs come with a generous student discount but I wouldn't mind a free/cheaper ipod, or the like, as well.

Thanks for your time guys,

Shillings.

Huy
2nd January 2008, 12:40 PM
Yes it is likely to happen, as it has happened for the past few years and I've always bought new laptops with free iPod Nanos or $200 automatic rebates (in 2005).

Nowadays you have to order both on the same invoice and cut out the barcodes, send them off, then you'll get your cheque.

The Back To School deal usually runs from Jan to around March, before the start of uni, so you'll be able to get (most likely) the 4GB Nano ($198) as a bonus, iPod+Mac bundle.

Just wait until after Macworld, it usually gets announced around then too... I'll be buying one as well (though I already have a MacBook, an iPod, iPhone... so I don't really need it, but the rebate is good :p).

Jordan M
2nd January 2008, 12:40 PM
Defiantly should happen in US, not announced yet.

Not sure about here

Huy
2nd January 2008, 12:42 PM
They are going to do it here too. They did it last year and the year before that, and the year before that (when I first switched, beginning of 2005).

http://www.apple.com/au/go/education/offer/

For the 2007 offer (expired now).
Note the Australian link.

"Purchase and take possession of a qualifying Apple Macintosh computer and a qualifying iPod from 16 January 2007 to 16 April 2007."

3 months to buy. Enough time to buy, 2 weeks from now (or thereabouts...right after Macworld 2008 ;)) :)

Currawong
2nd January 2008, 12:47 PM
Macworld is coming up this month, so afterwards all sorts of deals on superseded models come up as new models are announced often at this time.

decryption
2nd January 2008, 12:56 PM
The past 3 years (05, 06. 07), I've bought a new Mac to get the free iPod - great deal! Lucky I'm still eligible for the EDU discount :)

goran
7th January 2008, 11:35 PM
can you get edu discount on refurbished MBP's?

Huy
7th January 2008, 11:45 PM
No. That would be similar to double dipping. ;)

Refurbished ones are already discounted below RRP and sometimes below EDU, depending on the model/age.

I cannot wait until the iPod deal comes out, possibly with a revised MacBook Pro. I'll be all over that in an instant. :)

mivory
8th January 2008, 12:48 AM
No. That would be similar to double dipping. ;)

Refurbished ones are already discounted below RRP and sometimes below EDU, depending on the model/age.

I cannot wait until the iPod deal comes out, possibly with a revised MacBook Pro. I'll be all over that in an instant. :)

Double dipping- like the tax office you mean?

Huy
8th January 2008, 01:12 AM
No?

Just the fact that Apple charge RRP for all other customers and that refurbished machines are generally in good condition if not mint/new condition (cosmetically) with the same warranty, at a reduced price. It wouldn't be 'fair' to be using your education discount on a refurbished item - not that I would have a problem with it, I just think that's how Apple sees it.

They're offering you a comparable product, less than RRP and oftentimes less than EDU so you shouldn't be trying to get a further discount on it?

I'm not sure what Apple think, behind the refurb store prices and edu discounts. :)