PDA

View Full Version : problem booting

gehenna
7th March 2005, 08:39 PM
excuse the rushed msg but i have to post this from my phone!! i was just online checking some sites when a message appeared and locked up the comp. showed i had to turn mac off and on. nothing was responding so i had to comply. anyway on reboot an error is constantly appearing..

first line reads No Debugger Configured then theres a few lines of mem stack references and it ends on the kernel version, date and time.

last line reads panic:we r hanging here...
booted with cmd key and selected the hd volume but error appears when apple logo splash screen appears.

HELP????

hawker
7th March 2005, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, I can't tell you the problem, some other guys probably can - but are you able to put a hardware tester or boot disk into the computer and boot off that to test and run disk checking etc?

kim jong il
7th March 2005, 10:07 PM
RAM: unseated or dead. I'm about 90% sure on this.

kim

gehenna
7th March 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Mar 7 2005, 10:07 PM

kim
i had a feeling someone would say that. itcant be unseated so it must be dead.

thanks guys

kim jong il
8th March 2005, 08:15 AM
Generally speaking electrical components fail at startup rather than during operation. A prime example of this is a lightglobe. You switch it on and there is a small flash and a plink noise (plink is not a real word BTW, it is sort of like the sound it makes) I'm not for a minute comparing your mini to a lightglobe but I am using it for illustration. I'm still inclined to think that it is poorly seated RAM and that thermal expansion (or something) has caused some minor movement. However it is probably a bit pointless debating this when it is an obvious warranty issue. Take it back to the shop you purchased it from. Hopefully they will get on to it quickly. I have no idea about the procedure that Apple resellers go through with warranty claims. They might just pop the cover off and put in a new RAM chip. I don't know. Maybe macmate can enlighten us. Hopefully, whatever the issue, you will not be without your baby for too long.

Cheers, kim

PS. When there is a problem it is helpful to say what kind of machine you have and its basic configuration. :)

Took a while to find out information about your mac. I had to read all your posts to find out, starting at 25 and worked back. I found the most basic details at post number 7; It's a mini with a superdrive it seems. I am guessing that as it was delivered fairly soon after ordering that maybe you purchased a top end mini in a stock configuration (is it a 1.42/256 superdrive model?) This is not critical information but if it had been a tower or iMac I would have suggested popping off the cover/ opening it and re-seating the RAM.

hawker
8th March 2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Mar 7 2005, 10:07 PM
Dammit Kim, I left that step out :P

gehenna
8th March 2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Mar 8 2005, 08:15 AM
Generally speaking electrical components fail at startup rather than during operation. A prime example of this is a lightglobe. You switch it on and there is a small flash and a plink noise (plink is not a real word BTW, it is sort of like the sound it makes) I'm not for a minute comparing your mini to a lightglobe but I am using it for illustration. I'm still inclined to think that it is poorly seated RAM and that thermal expansion (or something) has caused some minor movement. However it is probably a bit pointless debating this when it is an obvious warranty issue. Take it back to the shop you purchased it from. Hopefully they will get on to it quickly. I have no idea about the procedure that Apple resellers go through with warranty claims. They might just pop the cover off and put in a new RAM chip. I don't know. Maybe macmate can enlighten us. Hopefully, whatever the issue, you will not be without your baby for too long.

Cheers, kim

PS. When there is a problem it is helpful to say what kind of machine you have and its basic configuration. :)

Took a while to find out information about your mac. I had to read all your posts to find out, starting at 25 and worked back. I found the most basic details at post number 7; It's a mini with a superdrive it seems. I am guessing that as it was delivered fairly soon after ordering that maybe you purchased a top end mini in a stock configuration (is it a 1.42/256 superdrive model?) This is not critical information but if it had been a tower or iMac I would have suggested popping off the cover/ opening it and re-seating the RAM.
hi there

thanks for the help guys. kim i would have included more details but last night i was not near a computer, the only net access i had was from my phone and thats a pain to use to write out stuff!! you're right about the mini, its 1.42 with 256RAM. 80gig hd, airport and bluetooth, and a superdrive.

i'm really gutted about this....i've been taking real care with the mini including surge protectors and the like. i'll give apple a call during my lunchbreak and see what they say!

cheers

gehenna
8th March 2005, 09:57 AM
stand by for a full description of problem and error....just gotta type it up in between doing actual work....

gehenna
8th March 2005, 10:16 AM
okay here goes.

error occured while i was online checking banking. the screen went all shaded and the mouse/keyboard locked up. a message appeared in the middle of the screen in several languages saying "Your computer needs to be restarted. Press and hold the power button for several seconds or select restart from the system menu"

i powered off and back on. when the apple splash screen appears the error shows up again, but also has scrolling text over the top of it. from what i can see the text is the same paragraph scrolling over and over until it stops with the Panic message:

"No Debugger Configured - Dumping Debug Information
MSR00001030
Latest Stack Backtrace For CPU 0:
Backtrace
0x00083870 0x00083F20 0x0001EDA4 0x00090E58 0x0009424C
Preceding Back Via Exception Chain
Exception State: (SV=0x193BAC80) .......(Codes continue until).....
Kernel Version:
Darwin kernel Version 7.7.1
Mon Nov 29 19:34:12 PST 2004, root:xnu/xnu=517.10.5.obj.2/RELEASE.PPC

Panic: We are hanging here....."

I must admit, that last line cracks me up a bit :) it lacks the certain bill gates mannerisms of the blue screen of death :)

however.

i then tried to boot the pc from the OSX install dvd. I am able to get into the menu asking me to select which volume to boot from, or to select the hardware test.

when i select hardware test it appears to load then comes up with a terminal prompt asking me to type "Mac-load" to continue booting, or "shut down" to shut down.

an error appears under that about mem stack but unfortunately i've misplaced where i had it written down so don't have it with me at work.

i try "mac-load" and it continues booting until the above error scrolls and locks up.

if i try to boot to the OSX installer, the same error appears. and if i try to boot from the Mac HD, the same error appears.

So i'm pretty confident it's a hardware issue....considering the error appears before the kernel even loads. I'm reluctant to take the cover off the mini just yet, and barring any further helpful information from here, i will most likely ring apple care and see if i can take it into an apple shop to have whatever hardware (RAM i guess) can be replaced.

such a shame, if it had only lasted one more week i would have been putting a 1GB stick in there and this may never have happened!

decryption
8th March 2005, 10:29 AM
It's 80% likley to be bad RAM. If nto bad RAM, a dodgy logic board.
Either way, take it to an Apple Service Provider (don't bother calling Apple Care, they'll just say take it to an ASP) and they'll get it working for free.

Currawong
8th March 2005, 10:35 AM
This topic (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3818) in the help forum covers what you're experiencing, but says the same thing - remove your RAM and put it back in again. If that doesn't fix things, you have either bad RAM or a stuffed logic board or other component.

gehenna
8th March 2005, 10:59 AM
very helpful, thanks for that.

just out of interest anyone know the locations of an apple service provider near preston in melbourne?

gehenna
8th March 2005, 01:34 PM
rang up apple, they weren't much any help at all. rang up an apple service centre in thornbury and they were very helpful. i'll bring it into them tomorrow and they'll do a hardware test and replace the ram if necessary. quite relieved now :)

kim jong il
8th March 2005, 04:21 PM
Beauty :)

Sorry though I did not mean to sound snippy.

gehenna
9th March 2005, 04:13 AM
reseating the ram made no difference :/ have to see what the service people say this afternoon