PDA

View Full Version : HD says "full" when it's not.

iThinkMac
1st January 2008, 09:04 PM
Guys-

Got a friend who has a MacBook and he's run out of space. After deleting about 15G of stuff, "Get info" on the HD shows that the HD is still the same as before - no room. I suggested booting from the install disc and repairing the disc, but to no avail. What's causing this?

Cheers,
Reuben

bartron
1st January 2008, 09:05 PM
stupid question, but did you empty the trash as well?

Andrew T Chadwick
1st January 2008, 09:05 PM
Has he actualy emtied the trash ?

Keving
1st January 2008, 09:06 PM
Haha, probably not :P

RGSX12
1st January 2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, using apps such as AppZapper only puts the files into the Trash, it doesn't totally delete them :)

STK
1st January 2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, using apps such as AppZapper only puts the files into the Trash, it doesn't totally delete them :)

I doubt he used any apps...

Maybe his HD is having problems. How old is the macbook?

der
1st January 2008, 09:47 PM
is it anything to do with this?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306904

Wally
1st January 2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah empty the trash, should get you further. :)

cosmichobo
1st January 2008, 10:22 PM
Talking of room...

Do you need to rebuild the desktop these days to reclaim room from out of date directories?

Wally
1st January 2008, 10:27 PM
Rebuilding the desktop on OSX, I wouldn't think Apple would go ahead and make us rebuild the desktop every time a PRAM battery dies.. (Do they still use PRam batteries?)

antechinus55
1st January 2008, 11:04 PM
my 2c worth. Mac1 techs could not explain this but, my eMac was reporting no disc space when I knew there should be stacks (even though its only a 'small' 40gb!). I checked everything I could think of. What it turned out to be was a cached copy of network drives in /Volumes. I don't know why it was not removing the cache after the network drive was unmounted, but there were more than one copy of each network drive. I removed them, rebooted and it all went away.
as I said, no-one has been able to give me an explanation, but have a look with the terminal in /Volumes (using "sudo ls -la /Volumes/" , although sudo may be redundant). To clear the contents of /Volumes (careful here) use "/sudo rm -rf /Volumes/<drivename>" (here you will need sudo) REMEMBERING that rm -rf will recursively remove all the contents of <drivename> and then <drivename>. Next time you connect to the remove mount it will be recreated in /Volumes so,so long as you don't remove the startup disc you should be ok.

iThinkMac
2nd January 2008, 04:54 PM
For those of you who thought the trash hasn't been emptied, yes :p I did empty the trash. Antechinus55's idea sounds interesting though - I'll give it a try.

iThinkMac
2nd January 2008, 09:41 PM
OK, sorry guys, but I was talking to the guy who has this mac, and I had some wrong info. What's actually happening is that the HD really is empty, and the Finder shows this (on getting info he has about 30G free), but when he tries to drop 3 files from a v/camera totaling about 15G, it rejects them saying there's not enough room. Only way he can do it is to drag one file after another, which is a pain. Any ideas?

coljac
2nd January 2008, 10:08 PM
If you copy from Terminal, it should do them all one at a time until it gets full (or not, in this case).

For example:

cp /Volumes/VideoCamera/path/* ~/Documents

iThinkMac
3rd January 2008, 07:37 PM
But what's the problem - I want to get to the root of it. 30G space free, but won't copy 15G of files in one hit. Why???

bartron
3rd January 2008, 07:56 PM
long shot....but it could be that OS X wants at least double the space of whatever you are copying and you don't quite have that much space

What happens when you copy 10GB?

iThinkMac
3rd January 2008, 09:31 PM
Not sure what happens when 10G is copied, but it doesn't have a problem when 3 5G files are copied separately. I'll try that idea though of a single 10G file. Thanks,
R