PDA

View Full Version : iTunes - "sound bites" of podcasts

FiL
1st January 2008, 03:35 PM
Hi...

There are so many PodCasts from various places which I listen to. Some of them I would like to listen again to refresh my memory on only a small section of the podcast.

I am looking for a means by which I can take out these "sound bites" or sections which I find interesting and so either bookmark those sections from start to end OR to take it out separately so as to reduce the MegaBytes of the "sound bite". Being able to add keywords or type in a summary about the section would be very useful. Only clicking on the bookmark should play that section only.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have...

FiL

james the 2nd
1st January 2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Fil,

That's a good idea. I'm a big consumer of podcasts as well.

I'm not aware of a way of doing that in itunes.

Is it a matter of pulling the podcast into garageband and cutting the section you want and marking it. (much like how the mactalk podcast is presented in chapters - which I really enjoy)

Sorry I can't be of more help as I haven't done this myself.

bennyling
1st January 2008, 08:55 PM
For the splitting/cutting of audio tracks, it's hard to go past Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

No idea about the chapter markers though, sorry.

BoxDog
1st January 2008, 09:07 PM
Out of ignorance of a better solution I would probably be inclined to load the podcast .mp3 file into Audacity or Garageband, chop out the part I wanted to bookmark/keep, and then save that as a seperate mp3. That can then be loaded back into iTunes and you can edit the ID3 metadata to include keywords etc...

Edit: f**k, beaten