PDA

View Full Version : networking

natakim
7th March 2005, 05:00 PM
I have a g4 emac and g3 imac that i want to network. Can someone tell me how to do this, or tell me where i can find out what to do. I was going to connect them via the ethernet, was told this is the usual process. Aside from this one detail i have no idea. The emac is running 10.2 while the imac 10.3. Is the whole process difficult, it is essentiaslly so i can play two player age of empires with my six year old. help please

hawker
7th March 2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by natakim@Mar 7 2005, 05:00 PM
I have a g4 emac and g3 imac that i want to network. Can someone tell me how to do this, or tell me where i can find out what to do. I was going to connect them via the ethernet, was told this is the usual process.
Two ways you can do it.

1) Buy a cross over network cable and plug that in between the two computers via the network ports (this way you can only ever have two computers connected).

Either that or:

2) Buy a switch (maybe 5 port) and two network cables and do it that way (this way you can add more computers in later, maybe a laptop).

If you require any more assistance, please let us know.

Jimbo
7th March 2005, 06:17 PM
from memory you don't need a crossover, don't emacs have auto MDI ports (auto crossover)?

Danamania
7th March 2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Mar 7 2005, 06:17 PM
from memory you don't need a crossover, don't emacs have auto MDI ports (auto crossover)?
The Ati graphics eMacs (1GHz and up, from memory) don't need them. The original nvidia powered eMacs do need crossover cables.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717 has the info.

dana

natakim
8th March 2005, 01:02 PM
ok so i needed a crossover, my emac is an 800mhz and the imac a g3 slot, can someone put me in the right direction of what to do next. is this whole operation particually difficult???

CarbonRods
8th March 2005, 05:12 PM
From OS X help:

Connecting two computers using Ethernet

You can use an Ethernet cable to connect two Macintosh computers and share files or play network games.
1. Connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port of one computer to the Ethernet port on the other.
2. Open Sharing preferences on both computers and turn on Personal File Sharing. Note the Computer Name for the computers.
3. On one of the computers, choose Go > Connect To Server and then click Browse.
4. Double-click the other computer in the window and enter your password, if necessary.

If you manually configured the TCP/IP settings for the built-in Ethernet configuration on the computer you are connecting to, you may need to enter that computer's TCP/IP address in the Connect To Server dialog.

To see or set the TCP/IP address, open Network preferences and choose your Ethernet port configuration from the Show pop-up menu (named Built-in Ethernet unless you gave it another name).