PDA

View Full Version : Leopard: Disk Utility and Indexing slowness

iPirate
30th December 2007, 04:32 PM
Disk Utility Permissions Repair:

Tiger - Fast (started finding things to fix and fixing them almost as soon as you pressed the button to do so).
Leopard - Tells me I have one minute to go, doesn't do anything for about 5 minutes, and then goes through the same old SUID files that can't be fixed and *then* gets onto the real stuff after what feels like an unsuitably long amount of time.

External Drive:

Didn't have under Tiger, but I have noticed that very often, when I plug in my tri-partitioned external Drive my Mac insists on re-indexing them, particularly my Time Machine partition (which tends to take the longest, it currently says 2 hours remaining.

With the latter, I don't remember Tiger re-indexing external drives but then again I didn't have anything big enough to really notice a long re-index.

Is this normal? I'm hoping it's not and is fixable. Any solutions would be gratefully accepted. Or even no solution and just sympathy would be nice, but solutions preferred :p

And for those of you who remember a previous thread about my screen turning off instead of having a screensaver... it still does that at about 5 mins, even though I have set the screen to turn off after 3 hours and the screensaver to never. And the screen isn't ever on 1 brightness bar. I just more or less gave up on fixing that.

gallet
30th December 2007, 09:22 PM
Yes I have also noticed the same problem with disk utility. In fact sometimes it just point blank refused to check or repair permissions. I think this is just one of a slew of minor irritations that need to be rectified in Leopard.

chocho
30th December 2007, 10:37 PM
i also feel it takes longer to boot in leopard than in tiger...

harryb2448
31st December 2007, 06:21 AM
Repair Permissions just takes twenty minutes so start up and have a cup of coffee. X.5.2 is on the way (about 400MB) and could well offer a fix and getting rid of those SUID warnings.