PDA

View Full Version : Multi User Accounts/Software Licencing

IMat
29th December 2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Again,

I may have got my wires crossed but understand in Leopard I can setup my IMAC with multiple user accounts - similar in my mind as per Windows XP Pro etc but software licensing may be impacted as a result.

Currently (on WinXP Pro PC) I have one setup up for each of myself (admin), wife (full user) and child (limited) and would hope to extend a similar setup on my IMAC.

With Apple software (IWORK, ILIFE etc) I 'think' I read or implied that by doing above it would result in the need to purchase 'family' or multi license packs vs the individual??:confused:

Licensing confuses me at the best of times but would've thought these accounts being on the same machine would suffice with single license of software?

Maybe I've been slack but never had an issue with this with our dear friends at MS - and they certainly know how to sting you on licensing from a corporate perspective :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Johnny Appleseed
29th December 2007, 10:48 PM
Nah, you're fine - multiple licences are only required for multiple machines.

SyncMan
30th December 2007, 04:02 AM
Yes, just relax.

With some rare software it may ask to install for one user or all users, in this rare example, you would install for all users, unless you did not want that software available for the child account.

IMat
30th December 2007, 07:13 AM
Cool:o

I've been reading so much I think as I mentioned i had my wires crossed.that would be a little too extreme even for MS eh ?!?

Syncman..I'm relaxing with a pina colada in hand (or a beer- whatever is ya ideal of relaxing :p)

Cheers n thanks for the clarification

Paxton
30th December 2007, 07:17 AM
Syncman..I'm relaxing with a pina colada in hand (or a beer- whatever is ya ideal of relaxing :p)

At 0815 in the morning? Sheesh, you're game.

You'll be fine. I haven't come across any software that needs multiple licenses/accounts, but there will be some Anal software out there that wants ML/MU.

Some software (and I'm looking at you Visual Hub) lets you have one license for every machine in your house. Best $45 I ever spent.

Andrew.

Edit: one more thing - you have been able to have multiple user accounts on a Mac since Classic (OS9).

IMat
30th December 2007, 11:39 AM
At 0815 in the morning? Sheesh, you're game.

LOL..was figuratively speaking..but it is the silly season, so what the hell..I really am excited at becoming an OSx user!!:D

Thanks for the tip shld I have any issues re licensing - but I have pretty simple requirements really but was confused the individual/family licenses apple seems to offer on most software... ultimately one pc (oops, machine!) = one license, regardless of user accounts. I goddit :thumbup:

dev_enter
30th December 2007, 12:04 PM
The only Apple "Family Pack" product I can think of that you might want to get in the case of Multiple users on the same machine is .Mac. :)

Otherwise, in general, the Family Pack versions of Apple software are great value for people with multiple macs in their household.