PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Dilemma

Byrd
6th April 2004, 09:50 PM
OK ... Disko, I think I once warned you that after a while people would be posting relationship advice on this forum. Hence, not only am I the first person to make a sale on Appletalk, I'll also give myself the honours for posting the first relationship thread :D But, thankfully it's not too heavy. And let's not go into why the fark I somehow associate Mac users as also being relationship gurus :D

Righto then ... this is the third date on Good Friday, for which I've invited her for a picnic at Marysville. She accepted without a thought - always a good sign. Problem is, as amazing as this girl is, she is allergic WHEAT, DAIRY or YEAST (excuse my spelling - but no, she doesn't have Coaliac's disease). No problems I thought, I'll make chicken/salad something, until she revealed that on Good Friday, being a good Catholic girl she doesn't eat meat. Urgh.

... anyone have any ideas on what I could cook, keeping in mind the above limitations? Risotto perhaps? I really haven't a clue. Any help, even snide remarks are appreciated :)

JB

decryption
6th April 2004, 10:05 PM
Well, I went to a Catholic school from prep to year 10, and I'm Maltese (the most Catholic country in the world).

No wheat, dairy or yeast.. man.. what does she eat normally? That would be *REALLY HARD* to maintain.

Fish! Fish is the majority of what Catholics eat during lent, because meat is some sacreligous crap or something, but yeah. Make something with fish. (fish and chips perhaps? :P).

Google up some fish recipies and see how they go I guess.

pipsqeek
6th April 2004, 11:08 PM
My missus follws the same rules. I usualy wouldn't but I do it because i respect her and her beliefs.

Try Lentle Burgers.

Fish and chips (what we usually have every Friday evening for Dinner)

Vegetable Curry

Salad. make it nice, with Avocado, tomato, lettuce, spanish onion.

Tuna Salad

Fruit platter-strawberries, mango, banana, rockmelon, honeydew with a bottle of wine

Tortillia (spelling? - those mexican wraps) made from only corn flour, no wheat. Make some veggetarian wraps with salad stuff, like shredded carrot, lettuce etc.

Sushi - made or bought - if you don't like raw fish you can make veggie sushi

Thats about all I can think of now that I would eat.

Steve

Jimbo
6th April 2004, 11:16 PM
yeah definatly a greek salad, minus the cheese, rocket lettuce, olives, spanish onion, sundried tomatos, pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, cant go wrong. You could also make bruschetta... Get some crusty italian load (not a french breadstick!) toast under a cafe press, then chop some roma tomatos and mix them in olive oil and a little red wine vinegar, spoon onto the toasted bread, salt/pepper and enjoy.

GAY i just remember the no yeast bit, ok you could use gluten free bread instead, it'd work just as well.

stickman67
7th April 2004, 11:52 AM
Fish sounds like the go (with a nice side salad).

A good, quick way to cook fish is to buy a couple of nice fillets and lay them out on separate pieces of foil.

I usually use butter, but clearly that's no good (dairy is out), so perhaps you could just drizzle a bit of olive oil along the fillets. Then put a bit of crushed garlic along each, sit three or four thin slices of lime or lemon on top (I prefer the former, but it's a personal taste thing), and finish with some freshly ground pepper.

Fold the foil up to make little fishy parcels, pop 'em in the (preheated!) oven for fifteen or twenty minutes at around 180C, and sprinkle some fresh coriander on the little beggars as you serve.

Well, it's easy and I like it! :P

Byrd
7th April 2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Fish would be hard to organise on Friday, as we're driving up and it'd be hard to cook up there. But, a nice salad/corn bread/sushi? concoction would be ideal. I'll do more research first.

decryption: Yeah I also wondered what she eats too, but according to her it's pretty easy to follow. One thing's for sure: as she can't eat junk food she'll just keep on looking really really hot :D

JB

pipsqeek
13th April 2004, 09:22 AM
So, how'd your date go dude?

What did you end up eating?

Steve

Byrd
13th April 2004, 09:32 AM
:D

It was great - we headed off to Marysville, had the picnic near Stevenson's falls. Consisted of nice salad, with salmon, rice and sushi on the side. Thanks for everyone's help on this, It was just what I needed.

Oh yeah: I discovered she's a really affectionate girl :) Good thing is she has taken the hint and is organising the next date as a 'surprise'.

JB

stevejay
13th April 2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Apr 6 2004, 11:05 PM
meat is some sacreligous crap or something
Meat is too much like the body of Christ to be eaten on certain occasions (ie Fridays and Lent), and the substitution of fish is because while not trying to get himself nailed to a tree for not liking the Romans, Jesus' day job was fishing.

Lentils, rice, fresh leafy greens go over well for those who can't eat dairy, yeast or wheat. Look through Greek and Lebanese larders for ideas. The greek salad is always a fave, but replace the fetta cheese with tofu toasted in sesame oil (YUM!)

A barley or rye soda bread (leavened with baking soda instead of yeast) is a great gourmet experience and has the advantage of being VERY low glycemic index, too (long lasting energy - always inmportant for the later stages of the third date ;) )

No, I'm not a catholic, I've just known a few.

pipsqeek
13th April 2004, 10:45 AM
Well done mate!

So, she's affectionate huh? HUBBA HUBBA ahaha

Steve

Shawry
14th April 2004, 02:16 PM
When people are allergic to so many things you've got to ask them what they CAN eat! Just ask her what she normally eats at home and even if she has a list with acceptable foods.