PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4, os 10.3.9 upgrade to tiger

oak
28th December 2007, 11:19 AM
when upgrading softwate, from 10.3.9 to tiger, and you dont want anything to change, just leave all the files etc as is and just want to upgrade to tiger, is it a straight foreward install or do i need to alter something during the install>?

thanks

kim jong il
28th December 2007, 11:31 AM
Select 'Archive and Install' and away you go.

oak
28th December 2007, 12:40 PM
Select 'Archive and Install' and away you go.

could you please explain what archiving actually does?

oak
28th December 2007, 02:51 PM
I called apples tech support and was suggested to click upgrade instead of archive and install. but, ive read that choosing upgrade may make things a bit buggier......hmmm, confused!

Brains
28th December 2007, 03:04 PM
If you want things to not change very much, then yes, doing an Upgrade is the preferred way ... but it is also true that doing so can cause some problems if you have installed apps that are dependent upon the version of the OS for their functionality. LittleSnitch, PatchBurn and SharePoints are some examples that have different releases for 10.3 and 10.4. In short, anything that relies on or changes what goes on 'under the hood' (behind the GUI) should be de-installed before you upgrade, then new appropriate versions installed once the upgrade is complete.

Personally, I feel it is safer to actually install a fresh new version of the OS (via Archive and Install) and then move over your data and reinstall your apps.

oak
28th December 2007, 09:36 PM
If you want things to not change very much, then yes, doing an Upgrade is the preferred way ... but it is also true that doing so can cause some problems if you have installed apps that are dependent upon the version of the OS for their functionality. LittleSnitch, PatchBurn and SharePoints are some examples that have different releases for 10.3 and 10.4. In short, anything that relies on or changes what goes on 'under the hood' (behind the GUI) should be de-installed before you upgrade, then new appropriate versions installed once the upgrade is complete.

Personally, I feel it is safer to actually install a fresh new version of the OS (via Archive and Install) and then move over your data and reinstall your apps.

i plan on backing up important files before the install, and install by choosing upgrade. ill see how it all works out, and if theres no problems i guess theres nothing to worry about, but if i feel things are not working the way i want it to, considering im backing up my important files, i can just re install tiger and maybe do a erase and install, so it will be as new, and import my important data from my back up_?

i think im a little hesitant to choose archive and install as im not really 100% sure in what to expect:( do u think what im trying to do is ok?