PDA

View Full Version : My PB 12" is slowly dying. Help plz?

nicwithsticks
7th March 2005, 07:54 AM
OK guys I need help. I have a PB 12" (Rev. C) and it's starting to get a bit slow. Obviously, I'm buying more RAM for it, to bump the total up to 768mb. While that should boost performance significantly, I'm thinking that the PB's sloppy 4200rpm hard disk wont be up to the challenge.

I am a multimedia student, so I rely heavily on the Macromedia and Adobe suites, and I also dabble in Final Cut. The hard disk just seems that it chokes when ever I use large files. I was thinking, since upgrading notebook HD's is expensive that an external firewire HD might be the ticket.

I was planning to get a standard 80 or so gigs 7200RPM drive, and then do an install on it of Mac OS X, and all my apps. So, while I'm at the desk doing the bulk of my work peformance will be more responsive.

The question is: will an external HD cut it? I know you can boot off them and all, but will there be any performance increase at all? And is this a good idea, or completely stupid?

iSlayer
7th March 2005, 08:23 AM
firewire is much faster then the internal drive you have now.
it should give you a big performance increase and the extra cache will be handy

Currawong
7th March 2005, 08:55 AM
Depends on the external HD. As far as I know, the only 7200 rpm drives available at the moment are 60Gb.

An external full size drive (that you'd have to plug into power) would certainly be much faster than the internal drive, and great as your PS and other scratch disks, as well as for storing large files.

nicwithsticks
7th March 2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm planning to buy an external drive cage off eBay, and plonk my 80Gb Western Digital drive in it. Since my work will be at the desk most of the time, plugging it into mains should be ok.

Anyone else got any ideas?

hawker
7th March 2005, 05:11 PM
External Hard Drive is the ticket. Firewire in and 7200RPM runs very sweet indeed :)

No Problems with Final Cut Pro, Adobe or anything really, it runs really good.

LCGuy
7th March 2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Mar 7 2005, 08:55 AM
Depends on the external HD. As far as I know, the only 7200 rpm drives available at the moment are 60Gb.
What? 3.5" IDE HD's? I put a 120 gig 7200rpm drive in my desktop PC back in like, August last year, so you've been able to get 'em for quite a while now.

hawker
7th March 2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Mar 7 2005, 08:33 PM
What? 3.5" IDE HD's? I put a 120 gig 7200rpm drive in my desktop PC back in like, August last year, so you've been able to get 'em for quite a while now.
I think they were talking 2.5" hard drive, and if they were this is wrong also it goes up to 120GB in that now ;)

Maybe they were talking smaller drives. In any case getting a 3.5 IDE would be better ;)

nicwithsticks
7th March 2005, 09:18 PM
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all your help! Cant wait to get the cage so I can ramp up the performance.

Cheers

hawker
7th March 2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by hsvguy@Mar 7 2005, 09:18 PM
You guys are awesome!
We try.....