PDA

View Full Version : server probs

Bodhi88
27th December 2007, 11:31 AM
Hope some one can help on this. Right to try to paint the picture a bit I just got myself a new imac. All is great only I have some hosting sites that I can't get to anymore I don't think its the new mac I would say it is a prob with the net signal getting blocked somewhere along the line with my ISP. Is there any firewall stuff in the imac that is hidden away somewhere??
Anyway over night all my email went off line I cracked the shits a bit and thought I will start from the start and just download the script from my C panel. When I went to the ip for the c panel it said that it could not connect. Thinking that my server was down I contacted the company that I use. They said that its working fine and that there is no prob their end. I could see my site when I went to http://youhide.com but not when I went directly from my browser. I then pinged my server and all packs lost. I am currently waiting on an answer from the big pond but I wanted to know if anyone here maybe able to enlighten me.

Currawong
27th December 2007, 11:43 AM
Your site talks about proxy servers. Have you set up any proxy servers or settings in your network at home that you've forgotten about?

Bodhi88
27th December 2007, 11:52 AM
No I have never needed to do this before from my laptop. I would think that the imac word work just the same.

Venom71
27th December 2007, 12:42 PM
Could this sort of issue be indicative of, maybe, a DNS problem on your iMac?

Currawong
27th December 2007, 12:48 PM
What's the difference between going to the site by typing the url and going to the site "directly from my browser"? I think you've thrown in some network settings somewhere which are wrong. Can you access all other sites without issues?

silverdreamer
27th December 2007, 02:05 PM
No I have never needed to do this before from my laptop. I would think that the imac word work just the same.

If you have set up the imac correctly and your mail preference settings and server settings are correct, then yes it should.

aspro
27th December 2007, 03:09 PM
Leopard has some issues with DNS with some routers, perhaps you could add your ISPs DNS server manually in System Preferences > Network. I had this sort of trouble with MSN Messenger a little while back.

Bodhi88
28th December 2007, 03:33 PM
yeah its just strange that I can get every other web site apart from my own. cool thanks guys I will give it another shot once I am home

the old restart the router tick- everytime :) thanks for your answers anyway :o