PDA

View Full Version : .Mac Mail & Gmail

NelsonX
26th December 2007, 09:24 PM
Hi, has anyone had success in getting their dotmac mail account to download gmail messages via pop?

When I go into the online mail preferences there is a feature to download pop email from an external source - but does not seem to accept gmail. Is this possible?

The reason I ask is that work has banned gmail use, and would like to get access to gmail from time to time.

NelsonX

Kuma
26th December 2007, 09:49 PM
your work banned gmail?

quit!!!

I have set my gmail to forward (and keep) all mail to .mac

NelsonX
26th December 2007, 10:28 PM
Isn't that the standard practice these days, ie to ban these sites? Anyway been there for close to 4 years and time to find another job :-)

Thanks for the tip, I totally forgot about auto-forwarding.

Nelson

macsyd
26th December 2007, 10:59 PM
Isn't that the standard practice these days, ie to ban these sites? Anyway been there for close to 4 years and time to find another job :-)

Just forward all in gmail to .mac as Kuma suggests.

And no, while common, it's not standard practice to ban email sites. Any employer that has respect for their employees will allow reasonable internet use with appropriate safeguards against abuse and inappropriate (ie sexual and gambling sites, etc.) use. A good employer will recognise the productivity gains that can be had by allowing some personal use of the web. An exploitative employer will also recognise 5 minutes of private email and internet banking will lessen the chances of a white collar employer taking their lunch break and making private calls from the work phone ;) Also, private email will help stop/minimise the business email system being used for private use, minimising potential trouble from inappropriate emails flying round with an employer.com address attached. Of course, the respect has to go both ways :)

timothy
26th December 2007, 11:15 PM
have to agree with macsyd, an employer who bans webmail of any kind, must be military to justify these actions

spelling and grammer

LarryH
27th December 2007, 09:29 PM
Why would they ban Gmail?

Is it the "privacy" problem?

God I hate the people who say that Gmail intrudes on people's privacy... Ha!

Currawong
27th December 2007, 09:53 PM
It's the "time wasting" problem.

NelsonX
27th December 2007, 11:44 PM
I won't name the employer for obvious reasons, but have to agreed that its probably excessive, especially when I could circumvent and auto-forward to another client or service. I would make life easier if I could have access important personal emails in a timely manner (eg. education, banking type emails).

I'm looking forward to getting a hold of a nice portable email client like the iphone for this purpose. :-).

Kuma
28th December 2007, 12:31 AM
I'm looking forward to getting a hold of a nice portable email client like the iphone for this purpose. :-).

and there in lies the ridiculousness of it all...

my brothers tafe blocks facebook.. using a proxy he just goes around and gets in... (at least that is what I think he told me he did)

but as we get more and more connected these futile measures to prevent us from accessing facebook, gmail or whatever will just grow more futile.

ultimately it will come down to peoples personal control as to whether they are wasting time or working.