PDA

View Full Version : If your Mac crashes a lot, re-install the RAM.

Currawong
6th March 2005, 02:52 PM
As suggested, if you've just bought a new machine or installed RAM and your machine is crashing a lot, try removing and re-inserting the RAM.

nateb
11th March 2006, 03:47 PM
how do you re-install the RAM?

the_OM
11th March 2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nateb@Mar 11 2006, 03:47 PM
how do you re-install the RAM?
LoL..... serious?

Take it out..... then put it back in.

Some people like to give the connectors a wipe or a blow...... i'm a blow man myself, but it's usually a personal preference.

And there you have it! re-installing the RAM!

Buthidae
11th March 2006, 04:48 PM
lol, the_OM, not everyone can be as technical as you!

If you don't know how to open your machine and tinker with bits, you probably shouldn't be touching RAM. If you do know how to open it, google for instructions on removing and replacing RAM in your particular model

eroda
12th March 2006, 11:08 AM
i remember i charged someone to reseat their ram easiest $40 i made, good ole ripoff merchant of a techie i was, they walke din said their come was broken, i pulled side panel off (out the back) pushed ram in it worked, waited 2 hours while i did other work and then charged them $40

and everyone else working there said it couldnt be done
muhahha

pipsqeek
12th March 2006, 12:21 PM
You know you're going straight to hell for that. :P

Chr1s
12th March 2006, 12:43 PM
Haha that's shameful. But funny. You are the reason I never take my iBook to a store if it needs fixing. :P

eroda
12th March 2006, 03:26 PM
nah this was PeeCee, they are stupid enough to buy one they deserv to die
technically its $40 for me to even look at it then per hour on top, so yer i technically just stuck to the rules

PS. I AM THE DEVIL!!

haywooj
24th March 2006, 01:17 PM
Couple of things to add here:
Under-specced RAM
The newer machines, especially G5s and XServes are particularly picky about memory - installing an unmatched pair of generic DDR with a different chip array & count will almost certainly come back to bite.
Buy decent stuff!

Dirty Pins
After grounding oneself, remove the chip and lay it on an antistatic surface (the bag it came in is good).
Take a new white plastic eraser, such as Stabilo, and rub across the gold contact pins a couple of times. Blow away any residue and reseat.

AHT (Apple Hardware Test)
which comes with the machine is really only useful for Memory testing in the Extended Test mode.
Furthermore, Id recommend downloading memtest:
memtestosx (http://www.memtestosx.org/)
to really check the chips

happy memories! B)