PDA

View Full Version : G5 powermac freezing problems

grorr76
6th March 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi I have a g5 1.8ghz power mac with 1.25gb of ram and am experiancing a fair amount of freezing when exiting programs or shutting down. Im wandering if theres a setting or something I need to change, as when I just put in the gig of ram it didnt make the machine as zippy as id hoped.

any ideas any help would be greatly apreciated.

Also any tips on defragging your main hd with the operating system installed.
Btw im new to osx so please forgive my lack of knowledge in these areas.
cheers

the_OM
6th March 2005, 01:31 PM
I'd think its bad ram. Take out the new ram, see if things still freeze, if not, then the new ram is your culprit

grorr76
6th March 2005, 01:34 PM
hey thanks for the quick reply.. the rams apple ram so its kinda weird. the programs run far better than they did on 256 but its just the slow shutdown, thats all. is there a way of modifying how the ram is used by the system ??? so with program,s working fine would it still be the ram

hawker
6th March 2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by grorr76@Mar 6 2005, 01:34 PM
hey thanks for the quick reply.. the rams apple ram so its kinda weird. the programs run far better than they did on 256 but its just the slow shutdown, thats all. is there a way of modifying how the ram is used by the system ??? so with program,s working fine would it still be the ram
Hmmm if its under warranty get it checked out... sounds like RAM but could be a motherboard or other issue!

grorr76
6th March 2005, 01:44 PM
OHHHHH BOY I Hope its not the motherboard... its like everythings works pretty much ok but its just not at optimal perfpormance. is there any checks I can do software wise utility wise that might discover something, could you recomend something..

iSlayer
6th March 2005, 02:13 PM
whats version of panther.
there was a huge bug is pre 10.3.7 releases that caused freezes especially on g5's

grorr76
6th March 2005, 02:24 PM
hi there im at 10.3.8 .. is there any utility I can test the system with??? to be more specific the programs dont freeze what happens is sometimes on shut down it freezes but enough to annoy, and sometimes it wont open the dvd drive, etc just little buggy annoying things..

But is there anyway i can check the system utility anything like that, that tests ram yr hd as such any more ideas??

ric3am
6th March 2005, 02:45 PM
Hi there if its not the ram? have you tried to fix permissions?
Use your Disk Utility, First Aid,
Make sure that you start up from your instal disk and open your disk utility from your menu bar
that might help

iSlayer
6th March 2005, 02:49 PM
put in your hardware test cd and run it.
it should be the disc that says additional applications and AHT.
put it in and reboot and hold down c

Currawong
6th March 2005, 02:49 PM
grorr76, it's very common for RAM to not be seated properly in the machine, causing exactly the symptoms you describe. Try taking out all your RAM and putting it back in.

By the way, I've moved this thread to the Help forum.

grorr76
6th March 2005, 03:05 PM
hey all..
when i try the disc utility from the extra software and hardware test cd, while hoolding down c, it says this cd is not meant for your system. and when i try to boot from the osx install disk holding down c, it just starts as usual without booting from the cd argghhh computers , any ideas guys.. also ill check the ram oif its in properly but from my last look it looked like it was tightly corectly installed in the about my mac thingo it does say 1.25 gb, so the mac knows its there, very strage all round hey

ric3am
6th March 2005, 04:16 PM
Are you using the original install disc's that came with your machine?
you can still check your permissions buy using Disk utility just run it and see if there is a problem
I'm no expert but it seems to be software related problem more than Ram

grorr76
6th March 2005, 04:28 PM
yeah ive always thought that to, although i tried one tip I changed the ram slots around it seems to have quickened it up a tad, maybe its my imagination, only time will tell