PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Hard Drive.

Beau
22nd December 2007, 07:15 PM
Hi all,
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good MacBook Hard Drive that is 120GB or larger?

My current (stock) one broke :thumbdn:

Cheers,
Beau

Wally
22nd December 2007, 07:20 PM
I'd go for a Western Digital 250GB, they are going cheap on ebay at the moment.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZashleyshop2005QQssPageN ameZSTRKQ3aMEWNQ3aMESOI

I bought mine off this guy for a great price, and it came with an external case so I can shove the old drive in there.

Just be careful, if the rubber rollers come off in the drive bay you have to put them back on with a flat head screwdriver and it becomes fiddly after a while :)

Anyway, this drive has been much quicker and seems to be reliable with leopard .

bennyling
23rd December 2007, 06:39 PM
...I'd go with either a Seagate (reliability, preformance) or a Samsung (quiet, cool, cost-effective).

They're just as good as each other.

But just think about this: Why would Apple put Seagate drives in Macbooks if they didn't think they were up to the task? They just as easily could have put WD drives, or Samsung.

Go for the brand that Apple think suit the MacBooks: Seagate is your answer.

Hope this helped!

womble
23rd December 2007, 06:49 PM
i think with hdds its personal pref, after selling hdds for 3 yrs, its funny how many people make sure they get wd and how many people say other...i pref like wd, but thats because i get a very decent price on them through wholesale and im cheap lol

james the 2nd
23rd December 2007, 06:54 PM
always check what the warrantee is on each drive as well..

Wally
23rd December 2007, 06:58 PM
...I'd go with either a Seagate (reliability, preformance) or a Samsung (quiet, cool, cost-effective).

They're just as good as each other.

But just think about this: Why would Apple put Seagate drives in Macbooks if they didn't think they were up to the task? They just as easily could have put WD drives, or Samsung.

Hope this helped!

There have been problems with a certain seagate drive, can't say all drives are reliable :) like womble was saying people are picky :P.

Most drives use the same sort of chips, only drives i have seen blow up are the Quantum Fireballs. All from the same problem... Dust. MacBooks dont really seem to have much of a problem with dust :)

LCGuy
23rd December 2007, 10:54 PM
wally4000, once back in 2000, a mate of mine had a Maxtor 8.4GB blow up in his Crappard Smell...it blew a chip, and smoke started to come from the drive, lol. Needless to say...it didn't work anymore. :P

Yeah, there was a dodgy batch of Seagate Momentus drives, which I'd probably stay away from, though other than that, Seagate is good.

Carcenomy
24th December 2007, 11:18 AM
Quantums in general were bloody atrocious. My old Pentium4 system went through four Quantum Atlas II SCSI-III drives, previous to that older systems had claimed Fireballs and a Bigfoot (worst hard drive EVER).

Only seen one or two Seagates die, usually turns out to be a bad batch or specific model.

Samsungs are alright, I've had heaps over the years - however they can be a little temperamental.

If you want to avoid something, avoid IBM/Hitachi. There's a reason the desktop drives were nicknamed the Deathstars. Unfortunately in saying that, TravelDeathstars were Apple's drive of choice for the Clamshells :(

LCGuy
24th December 2007, 01:02 PM
Actually, since Hitachi bought out IBM's storage division, they've been putting out some pretty decent stuff...while the IBM Deathstars may have had a terrible track record, don't write off Hitachi for something that wasn't their fault.

Carcenomy
24th December 2007, 01:05 PM
LCGuy, they have improved, but there's still some out there that cause grief. I had a couple of Hitachi Deskstar 400GBs in my server, both developed bearing growl within the first six months... wasn't very good.

That said, the Travelstar in my iBook hasn't misbehaved.

Same can be said with all hard drive manufacturers I guess. There'll always be a line of product that's going to give some trouble.

gelfie
24th December 2007, 02:21 PM

Hope this helped!

Apple put in whatever drives they can buy in bulk at the best price at the time.

kim jong il
24th December 2007, 03:57 PM
Who makes the best consumer disk drives? (http://storagemojo.com/2007/07/11/who-makes-the-best-consumer-disk-drives/) (from storagemojo.com)

Google performed a study on a 100,000 consumer drives (http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf) (NOTE 2.MB pdf) and produced some interesting statistics (http://storagemojo.com/?p=378) (this link to storagemojo again) and apparently know who produces the best drives but wont tell us. Bad google. :mad:

gareth
26th December 2007, 07:30 PM
get a Hitachi/Seagate 200 gig 7200rpm they are the best .