PDA

View Full Version : How do you reformat a iMAC G5?

Macbeginner
22nd December 2007, 06:59 AM
I'm really new to Macs and I'm trying to re-image this MAC with a MAC OS X v10.4.10. I've have google'd all over looking for some instructions on how to do this. They always come back with the same response, put in the CD, restart the MAC, hold down the "C" button and it should load right up. When I do this, I get an error saying it's in "panic" mode and i need to hold down the power button to restart. This is the first MAC that I've ever worked on, so I'm kind of lost. Can someone out there give me some insight on what to do and the best way to go about it? Let me know :thumbup:

Happy Holidays!!! ;) :)

decryption
22nd December 2007, 07:30 AM
You are reformatting the Mac correctly by booting off a Mac OS X install dis, however, it sounds like you have a dud Mac :(

That "panic" screen is the equivalent of a BSOD in Windows world. i.e: something in your computer shit the bed.

First step is to take out any extra RAM from the machine, as that could be what's causing the fault.

Also try to get a different copy of OS X 10.4, as the copy you are using could be either the wrong type for your iMac (i.e: they aren't the discs it came with, and it's not a legit retail boxed copy designed for every Mac), or just a bad copy in the first place.

Does the Mac ever go into the panic screen in use, or just when loading off the CD?

Macbeginner
22nd December 2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! No, the panic screen only comes up when I'm holding down "c" at startup. Will I have issues if the currently version running on the MAC is v. 10.9.10? Could that be the problem the wrong CD?

Brains
22nd December 2007, 07:48 AM
decryption's spot on -- my guess is that the machine itself is fine, but you're trying to use an installer-set that is built for Intel machines only.

Is the disc you're trying to use from a MacBook or recent Intel-based iMac? if so, there's no way it'll work -- you'll need to locate the original discs that came with that iMac G5, or buy a retail edition of OSX.

g5agogo
22nd December 2007, 08:31 AM
I'm with brains & decryption. Either that or the reverse, i.e. it's a retail box, which as far as I know 10.4.x was ever only PowerPC, that you're trying to install. (But, I don't think retail ever went out past 10.4.4 or so).